PDA

View Full Version : Serious Question

Wickabee
08-22-2014, 06:12 PM
I pose to the people of these boards, and I will explain what brought me to this question after a few answers are given (if I'm not banned before then, and this has nothing to do with these forums), but I would like everyone's input. The question isn't going to seem political until the inspiration is given, but this does stem from politics, and not American politics to boot! I will actually have several more questions at that point. It's been a helluva day, so maybe this will get people actually exchanging ideas instead of sniping and bickering. It's a simple question that can be answered with a yes or no, but I would like to know some reasoning.

Is it okay to bully a bully?

Zimbow
08-22-2014, 06:58 PM
That's a tough one for me. I mean if I say yes, then that would make them both bullies. If I say no, I would be a hypocrit because I believe in standing up for yourself. I do however believe that you can ignore a person but if it continues to get worse, a person can only take so much before they snap. Though, I do believe in a justified *** whoopin of a bully as well. But then that brings me back to my first point.

I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.

disclaimer: I apologize if what I wrote seems confusing. I'm on a lunch break at work and typing on a cellular.

Wickabee
08-22-2014, 08:06 PM
I don't think standing up for yourself is the same as bullying.

shrewsbury
08-22-2014, 08:28 PM
no

bullying is not acceptable under any circumstances. if someone begins to bully you defend yourself from any physical bullying, take it up the chain of command, and remember names mean nothing.
remember defending yourself does not always mean to react or to counter, a defensive attack is the best attack. in other words you do not have to nor should you wait to be physically assaulted, if the threat is real, then defend yourself before it occurs.

Zimbow
08-22-2014, 08:37 PM
I honestly cannot say I've been bullied. I don't know if it's my 6'8" 275lb frame has anything to do with it or I just avoid situations. There has been a time or two in which I have dealt justice for people who couldn't stick up for themselves. Of course that was back in high school when it was considered, "school yard justice"

gsj68
08-22-2014, 08:53 PM
only if you want to be a bully
interject,confront,pop them in the mouth if need be

its more likely that i will be a problem to a bully then the other way around
its a mental thing,they only go for what they see as weak,cowards they be heart

gsj68
08-22-2014, 08:54 PM
I honestly cannot say I've been bullied. I don't know if it's my 6'8" 275lb frame has anything to do with it or I just avoid situations. There has been a time or two in which I have dealt justice for people who couldn't stick up for themselves. Of course that was back in high school when it was considered, "school yard justice"
yea,your size just might have something to with it

gsj68
08-22-2014, 08:57 PM
now i dont know your physical ability but if your having a physical confrontation you dont think you can handle,ask for help

37jetson
08-23-2014, 06:01 PM
I pose to the people of these boards, and I will explain what brought me to this question after a few answers are given (if I'm not banned before then, and this has nothing to do with these forums), but I would like everyone's input. The question isn't going to seem political until the inspiration is given, but this does stem from politics, and not American politics to boot! I will actually have several more questions at that point. It's been a helluva day, so maybe this will get people actually exchanging ideas instead of sniping and bickering. It's a simple question that can be answered with a yes or no, but I would like to know some reasoning.

Is it okay to bully a bully?

To me Cyber Bullying is picking on somebody that is not adequately able to defend themselves. It is almost always a sh*t kicking for the person doing the bullying. Wick, I have not been around here long enough to understand who you are referencing in this thread. You seem more than capable of handling yourself. Am I missing something?

ajcorleone
08-23-2014, 06:36 PM
My feelings is that you should take a stand against a bully. Maybe not in a physical way unless it cannot be avoided and your defending yourself. Bullying is another hot topic in society and it is a shame how we see kids/teenagers who seem to be driven to suicide because of bullying. Maybe those kids have other issues but still to be brought to hurting themselves is horrible. And when it is due to constant nagging about looks, weight, nationality, religion, what have you. Adult bullying happens also si I feel a person should stand up for themselves and their beliefs.

Wickabee
08-23-2014, 07:45 PM
To me Cyber Bullying is picking on somebody that is not adequately able to defend themselves. It is almost always a sh*t kicking for the person doing the bullying. Wick, I have not been around here long enough to understand who you are referencing in this thread. You seem more than capable of handling yourself. Am I missing something?
As I said, the question has nothing to do with anything on these boards.

37jetson
08-23-2014, 08:02 PM

Sorry, I did not catch that.

ajcorleone
08-23-2014, 08:05 PM
It was just a question. You and I have gone off topic on these boards about music and tv so I felt it was no biggie. I am sure if I violated something a mod will tell me but I think we are good.

Wickabee
08-23-2014, 08:42 PM
It was just a question. You and I have gone off topic on these boards about music and tv so I felt it was no biggie. I am sure if I violated something a mod will tell me but I think we are good.

I answered his question just fine. What are you on about?

Wickabee
08-24-2014, 12:50 AM
no

bullying is not acceptable under any circumstances. if someone begins to bully you defend yourself from any physical bullying, take it up the chain of command, and remember names mean nothing.
remember defending yourself does not always mean to react or to counter, a defensive attack is the best attack. in other words you do not have to nor should you wait to be physically assaulted, if the threat is real, then defend yourself before it occurs.

What about when an authority punishes you for standing up for yourself? What then, Jay?

And I question the sincerity of your answer.

shrewsbury
08-24-2014, 02:34 AM
if your kids were starving would you be willing to steal if that was the only way to feed them? if you got caught, would you be surprised you got punished?

if you are willing to stand up for yourself at all costs, then why complain about the costs afterwards.

don't break the rules and nothing will happen, and even if you do and something happens, I know you don't see the whole picture. The punishment could be mush worse, but because of the reason behind the actions, it was not.

question me all you want, not only have I been anti bully since I can remember, not only have I went out of my way to help others being bullied, and yes paid a price, but I have also been teaching men, women, and children for nearly 3 decades on how to protect themselves.

Wickabee
08-24-2014, 03:04 AM
And if it's the only way to defend yourself against the onslaught of a bully? Why should anyone be punished for standing up. You yourself said it's the thing to do. Sometimes walking away doesn't cut it. Then what? Just accept a punishment based on the actions of another person?

In other words, if I want to get someone punished and don't care about my own consequences, I should bully them, because I'll get exactly what I wanted and the authority who is sooooo against bullying will actually do the punishing for me.

You realize you just made bullying and harrasment worthwhile, and standing up for yourself not worthwhile with that post, right? You've completely negated your original statement, and given bullies a reward right there.

So, are you always that insincere, or do you just like bullies but realize it's a bad public stance?

shrewsbury
08-24-2014, 11:09 AM
Just accept a punishment based on the actions of another person?

accept the punishment based on what you did, regardless of why.

when my twins were in 5th grade we moved, the local bully rode their school bus and decided to pick on the smaller of the two, her sister stood up for her and when words would not work, she punched him in the face. he was black my kids are white, he got into no trouble and my daughter got suspended from the bus.

sucked for all of us, but it had to be done.

You realize you just made bullying and harrasment worthwhile, and standing up for yourself not worthwhile with that post, right? You've completely negated your original statement, and given bullies a reward right there.

So, are you always that insincere, or do you just like bullies but realize it's a bad public stance?

no, I am a grown up and act as such, twist it all you want, you broke a rule and received less than you should have but even complain about that.

you did the same thing your "bully" did and tried to cover it up by reporting it once he said he contacted a mod.

ajcorleone
08-24-2014, 11:14 AM
Correct me if I am wrong because I might of missed something. I thought the thread was not about anything on the board? I thought it was about bullying and I thought it was clearly stated it had nothing to do with this board.Am I being called a bully.And glad that I turned myself in since I guess someone had the same idea.

Wickabee
08-24-2014, 11:54 AM
Correct me if I am wrong because I might of missed something. I thought the thread was not about anything on the board? I thought it was about bullying and I thought it was clearly stated it had nothing to do with this board.Am I being called a bully.And glad that I turned myself in since I guess someone had the same idea.

I don't obssess over you, and the world isn't about you. This is about a teacher's strike in BC, and what's happening with it.

If you want it to be about you, I can't stop that, but it doesn't make you right.

Wickabee
08-24-2014, 12:05 PM
Though seeing the way you act towards myself, alex, veg, and others, I can understand why you would think a thread about bullying is about you. You do act like a bully, especially towards alex.

But this is actually about a teachers strike.

You see, through this strike, the teacher union has been calling the Premier of the province a bully. These teachers wear the pink shirts against bullying and teach that bullying is wrong.

Yet...

They've also called her every name in the book, constantly write insulting and inflammatory blog posts (which the BC division of HuffPost puts up daily) and went so far as to create a computer game, the sole purpose of which is to insult the Premier.

I'm wondering, even if she is a bully, is any of that okay? It seems to me they are the bullies.

Also, I was bullied in school, and when I did stand up for myself I got the punishment. I was bullied by a teacher as well. How does one stand up to a bullying authority, or even an authority who condones bullying by punishing the victim? Should the victim be punished for standing up to a bully? If so, then why teach kids to stand up? That's a mixed signal. It's hypocritical. It makes no sense.

Am I wrong?

37jetson
08-24-2014, 01:44 PM
Though seeing the way you act towards myself, alex, veg, and others, I can understand why you would think a thread about bullying is about you. You do act like a bully, especially towards alex.

You see, through this strike, the teacher union has been calling the Premier of the province a bully. These teachers wear the pink shirts against bullying and teach that bullying is wrong.

Yet...

They've also called her every name in the book, constantly write insulting and inflammatory blog posts (which the BC division of HuffPost puts up daily) and went so far as to create a computer game, the sole purpose of which is to insult the Premier.

I'm wondering, even if she is a bully, is any of that okay? It seems to me they are the bullies.

Also, I was bullied in school, and when I did stand up for myself I got the punishment. I was bullied by a teacher as well. How does one stand up to a bullying authority, or even an authority who condones bullying by punishing the victim? Should the victim be punished for standing up to a bully? If so, then why teach kids to stand up? That's a mixed signal. It's hypocritical. It makes no sense.

Am I wrong?

Standing up to a bully can be a great thing in life. I beat the living tar out of my bully in Ninth Grade in front of about twenty people. Can't say I ever got picked on again in that manner.

Wickabee
08-24-2014, 02:20 PM
Standing up to a bully can be a great thing in life. I beat the living tar out of my bully in Ninth Grade in front of about twenty people. Can't say I ever got picked on again in that manner.

Does standing up for / defending yourself warrant punishment though? And is standing up to a bully the same as bullying?

And yeah, when I was in grade 8 this grade 10 kid would pick on me. One day I was in a bad mood and he decided to take my hat as he walked by, so I chased him down and choked him out. No teachers saw it, so I didn't get punished that time. It's funny, most adults will say that's the way it should be, until they see a victim stand up. Then suddenly it's time for punishment.

Basically, I'm wondering if bullying a bully me is okay, and why we teach kids to stand up for themselves then punish them for listening and doing so. The first one seems like an obvious "No" to me, the second one actually tilts the field in favour of the bully. It makes it okay to start crap, but wrong to stand up for /defend yourself. Is it okay to punish people for defending themselves? Because I think it's completely hypocritical and takes all credibility away from adults / authority, who seem to side with the bully in action, despite their claims that they don't like bullying.

It's pretty obvious they like it; they find it entertaining and enjoy watching people get harassed and beat up, and when they say the opposite, they're nothing but damn dirty liars.

37jetson
08-24-2014, 04:25 PM
Does standing up for / defending yourself warrant punishment though? And is standing up to a bully the same as bullying?

Sometimes you get to the point where you are willing to accept the consequences. If people get upset at your actions, who really cares?

My fight happened at a school sponsored 3 day wilderness and team building camp. I luckily did not get suspended from school, but the former bully and I were paired together for every trust related activity.

Wickabee
08-24-2014, 04:43 PM
Sometimes you get to the point where you are willing to accept the consequences. If people get upset at your actions, who really cares?

My fight happened at a school sponsored 3 day wilderness and team building camp. I luckily did not get suspended from school, but the former bully and I were paired together for every trust related activity.

And to me, that isn't punishment. It's a lesson. I'm talking about punishing people for standing up for themselves. In grade 3 a kid threw a spoon at me. Hit me in the leg and drew blood. I called him a name.

I was suspended for three days, he got nothing whatsoever, jot even a talking to. We're were friends so it blew over between us, but I shouldn't have been punished, as he caused me physical harm while I called him a (albeit bad) name. This was while my teacher was preaching "sticks and stones" to us.

The established authorities are too often in favour of bullying through their actions while against it through there words.

shrewsbury
08-24-2014, 05:27 PM
the person caught gets the time, the rest is heresay.

and I still don't understand why you and so many others cannot see if it is not worth the possible punishment, why do it?
are you really sticking up for yourself if you cry foul when your actions breaks rules or laws?

if you saw someone molesting a child and killed them, would you have an issue being punished for it?
if you had to steal to eat, would you have an issue with the punishment that could arise?

if you are not willing to pay the price, then someone is not mature enough to take action to begin with.

no bullying does not mean the first time someone looks at you funny bust them in the mouth, it means take the right steps to start with, not after the fact.

Wickabee
08-24-2014, 06:34 PM
Why should there he consequences for standing up to a bully if standing up to a bully is the right thing to do? Why punish someone for doing the right thing. Why attempt to deter further standing up for himself a second time, or someone else a first time by punishing a victim?

Punishment is a deterrent for some, so you're telling people NOT to stand up for themselves with actions while your words say the opposite. That is the EXACT definition of a hypocrite and there is no other way I can see to look at it. Essentially, you're now encouraging bullying for the purpose of getting the victim punished, which is just an authority taking part in the same act of bullying.

Basically, the authority makes himself a bully, despite his words, which become empty, meaningless lies.

You say it's right to stand up, but also that sanding up is worth punishment. Either it's right or worth punishment. If you even think it's worth punishment, you're just another bully. It's simple.

ajcorleone
08-24-2014, 07:40 PM
I will answer best as possible. As far as I know with my many dealings only you think I am a bully. You have told me in pm form about veg and how you deleted him from Facebook because you were tired of his racist rants.If you would like me to post our pm exchange about it I can if you forgot it. And I agree you have to stand up to bullying but that does not make you exempt form a consequence depending on how you handle the bullying. We had a disagreement i told you I reported myself and you, and you I guess tried to be sly and not tell me I was reported. SO if this is not about me ok and it is about a bully teacher or something cool.But again there is a consequence for every action

Yet...

Am I wrong?

Wickabee
08-24-2014, 08:25 PM
This thread isn't about you. It's about bullying. I simply said that, because of your actions I understand why you think something about bullies is about you, though IT IS NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You do like to push alex around. Also, how I feel about vegs beliefs has absolutely nothing to do with this. I didn't like his racism, you acted like a bully towards, as you do alex and now, for some reason, me.

Also, I said you act like a bully, I don't know you well enough to say if you are one or not.

You were reported for starting idiocy, nothing else. Remember, you messaged me first, and it was completely out of line, as were your harassing messages after I repeatedly asked you to stop messaging me.

Back to topic, please, which again is NOT AJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ajcorleone
08-24-2014, 08:31 PM
Well in my opinion wondering why someone is on a SPORTS CARD TRADING SITE for politics is not bullying. Joking about Lebron James IS NOT BULLYING IT IS BUSTING CHOPS. And I can assure you I don't think I am a bully but I do find it funny you do considering what we discussed. But I believe one should not bully anybody it is not nice
This thread isn't about you. It's about bullying. I simply said that, because of your actions I understand why you think something about bullies is about you, though IT IS NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You do like to push alex around. Also, how I feel about vegs beliefs has absolutely nothing to do with this. I didn't like his racism, you acted like a bully towards, as you do alex and now, for some reason, me.

Also, I said you act like a bully, I don't know you well enough to say if you are one or not.

You were reported for starting idiocy, nothing else. Remember, you messaged me first, and it was completely out of line, as were your harassing messages after I repeatedly asked you to stop messaging me.

Back to topic, please, which again is NOT AJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ajcorleone
08-24-2014, 08:35 PM
http://thematadorsghs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Anti_bullyin_posters.jpg

Wickabee
08-24-2014, 08:39 PM
Well in my opinion wondering why someone is on a SPORTS CARD TRADING SITE for politics is not bullying. Joking about Lebron James IS NOT BULLYING IT IS BUSTING CHOPS. And I can assure you I don't think I am a bully but I do find it funny you do considering what we discussed. But I believe one should not bully anybody it is not nice

In my opinion continuing to ask after being told the reason and following it up by telling him to trade or leave repeatedly is acting like a bully.

Making every thread about yourself is self centered and ignorant. As in you're ignoring that the threads are not about you.

And AGAIN, I didn't say you aren't a bully, just that you act like one on this board.

Finally, YOU ARE NOT THE TOPIC. THINKING SO IS EGOTISTICAL GARBAGE. BACK TO THE TOPIC PLEASE!

Wickabee
08-24-2014, 08:42 PM
And by the way, you've been reported for derailing this thread and making it about yourself. If you require a warning to get through it, so be it.

ajcorleone
08-24-2014, 08:42 PM
Funny thing is and I know you hate to hear this but you always make it about you and turn it on others. SO now lets get back to topic so we don't get in trouble. Bullying is wrong and should be dealt with. Hipocrasy is wrong just like bullying. The 2 kind of go hand in hand so seems like you have an issue in your area that need addressed. I take it there is no kind of politician or local representative to contact about this issue?
In my opinion continuing to ask after being told the reason and following it up by telling him to trade or leave repeatedly is acting like a bully.

Making every thread about yourself is self centered and ignorant. As in you're ignoring that the threads are not about you.

And AGAIN, I didn't say you aren't a bully, just that you act like one on this board.

Finally, YOU ARE NOT THE TOPIC. THINKING SO IS EGOTISTICAL GARBAGE. BACK TO THE TOPIC PLEASE!

Wickabee
08-24-2014, 08:45 PM
That's it. Lock the thread. AJ won't stop using it to fight with me.

ajcorleone
08-24-2014, 08:46 PM
I asked a question
I take it there is no kind of politician or local representative to contact about this issue?
Can someone deal with the issue in yor home town that has some power?

Wickabee
08-24-2014, 08:47 PM
I asked a question
I take it there is no kind of politician or local representative to contact about this issue?
Can someone deal with the issue in yor home town that has some power?

What issue? Is this question about bullying? Are you on topic at all? Or are you just publicly harassing me?

ajcorleone
08-24-2014, 08:51 PM
SO what higher authority can help deal with this teachers strike in BC.My apologies I thought you knew what I meant about your post that you posted. Is there a figure who can step in for this bullying in this teachers strike?
I don't obssess over you, and the world isn't about you. This is about a teacher's strike in BC, and what's happening with it.

If you want it to be about you, I can't stop that, but it doesn't make you right.

Wickabee
08-24-2014, 08:54 PM
SO what higher authority can help deal with this teachers strike in BC.My apologies I thought you knew what I meant about your post that you posted. Is there a figure who can step in for this bullying in this teachers strike?

This is about how the teachers are acting. There is no one to contact and no way to legislate against or for that. Who would you contact of you were unhappy with how teachers were publicly acting on their own time during a strike? There is no one.

It's not like I'm whining about a race riot from behind a keyboard here.

ajcorleone
08-24-2014, 08:58 PM
OK where is the bullying coming in please excuse my ignorance I am missing something. Where I live we have a school board to legislate and handle any issue with teachers and schools. But if they are on strike I guess that might not work for you. Do you guys have a school board system?
This is about how the teachers are acting. There is no one to contact and no way to legislate against or for that. Who would you contact of you were unhappy with how teachers were publicly acting on their own time during a strike? There is no one.

It's not like I'm whining about a race riot from behind a keyboard here.

Wickabee
08-24-2014, 09:26 PM
Read the thread. It's all here. I'm not repeating myself because you thought I was talking about you.

Hell, you actually quoted the answer to that question earlier.

Wickabee
08-24-2014, 10:05 PM
Ok, so now that's finally stopped, is what the teachers are doing (bullying a person they call a bully) okay? Does it make them hypocrites? Are they just defending themselves, or needlessly attacking someone?

Wickabee
08-26-2014, 02:13 PM
no

So what should be done when an authority actually joins in on the bullying? You know, say a teacher hears a bully jabbing at a victim and walks over to further jab the victim. I'm curious as to what options the victim has, and whether you think that's right on the part of the authority.