PDA

View Full Version : So when does satire or stereotyping actually turn into racism?

jlzinck
10-02-2014, 09:40 AM
So this Editorial Cartoon was in the local paper yesterday saying that the White House intruder got further than was known before.

The cartoonist says that he used watermelon because he loves it but yet the dog whistle word now has the progressives yelling racism from the top of their lungs. I'm not sure about you but I take people for their word unless they have been proven to untruthful on a regular basis.

I believe BOTH GWB and BO got faulty intelligence about WMD and ISIS yet the partisans yell and scream about the others.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/jlzinck/toothpaste_zpsf546d083.jpg (http://s223.photobucket.com/user/jlzinck/media/toothpaste_zpsf546d083.jpg.html)

shrewsbury
10-02-2014, 10:12 AM
if not racism, then stupidity. He could have used any other flavor.

jlzinck
10-02-2014, 10:28 AM
if not racism, then stupidity. He could have used any other flavor.

I can agree stupidity. Hell I used a word recently that we had used when we were kids when someone was acting stupidly. I used the word zipperhead and I was told it was a racist term. I did not know that.

Had I written an cartoon I would have been branded as racist.

I guess satire cannot be interjected when race is involved.

shrewsbury
10-02-2014, 11:06 AM
zipperhead is a racist term? how?

jlzinck
10-02-2014, 11:31 AM
zipperhead is a racist term? how?

Asians, Coined by US soldiers during Korean War.

GroundSupport
10-02-2014, 11:45 AM

Learn something new everyday.

duane1969
10-02-2014, 12:40 PM

And here is where people who don't know what they are talking about (not you, the person who told you it was racist) turn something not racist into racist. zipperhead is not a term coined during the Korean and Vietnam war, it comes from Canada. Early tank crewmen wore a leather helmet that had a stitch pattern that resembled a zipper, so tank crewmen were referred to as zipperheads by other members of the military.

jlzinck
10-02-2014, 01:33 PM
And here is where people who don't know what they are talking about (not you, the person who told you it was racist) turn something not racist into racist. zipperhead is not a term coined during the Korean and Vietnam war, it comes from Canada. Early tank crewmen wore a leather helmet that had a stitch pattern that resembled a zipper, so tank crewmen were referred to as zipperheads by other members of the military.

I think was brought it into the progressive/liberal dog whistle racial forefront was the movie Gran Torino.

Just like the above cartoon I don't believe is racist. Poorly worded? Sure

Star_Cards
10-02-2014, 01:57 PM
I just can't imagine that someone in the approval process for this cartoon didn't think that this would be something that would be taken as a racial jab. They either wanted the publicity or everyone who green lit this cartoon is a bit ignorant. You can never say what the original intent of the reference was but almost anyone should be aware that most references of watermelon towards an african america would be viewed to be in poor taste if not an outright racist jab.

gsj68
10-02-2014, 04:22 PM
the cartoon is straight up racial profiling

pwaldo
10-02-2014, 10:05 PM
Is there even watermelon flavored toothpaste?

Most of the time people screaming stuff are just overdoing it but how can anybody not see that using watermelon flavor toothpaste would bring a backlash? The guy making it didn't and then the editors didn't see it? Sorry I find that hard to believe.

shrewsbury
10-02-2014, 11:25 PM
yes, there is watermelon flavor toothpaste

jlzinck
10-03-2014, 07:59 AM
the cartoon is straight up racial profiling
Guess you have I have different definitions of racial profiling

gsj68
10-03-2014, 10:54 PM
Guess you have I have different definitions of racial profiling
im not the best with word,is profiling incorrect ?

jlzinck
10-06-2014, 08:31 AM
The Boston Chapter of the NAACP stands behind the cartoonist.

pwaldo
10-06-2014, 06:10 PM

The LA Chapter of the NAACP was giving Donald Sterling a lifetime achievement award for being such a good person when the media leaked his private conversation recordings....

duane1969
10-06-2014, 07:20 PM
Is there even watermelon flavored toothpaste?

Most of the time people screaming stuff are just overdoing it but how can anybody not see that using watermelon flavor toothpaste would bring a backlash? The guy making it didn't and then the editors didn't see it? Sorry I find that hard to believe.

http://pics2.ds-static.com/prodimg/83430/300.jpg

You can also get cinnamon, apricot, peach, vanilla, green tea...there are lots and lots of flavors.

The LA Chapter of the NAACP was giving Donald Sterling a lifetime achievement award for being such a good person when the media leaked his private conversation recordings....

Two different scenarios. Standing behind the cartoonists AFTER the cartoon comes out versus giving recognition to Sterling before his debacle came out.

gsj68
10-06-2014, 09:15 PM
i see the naacp as a racist organization too

duane1969
10-07-2014, 12:10 PM
i see the naacp as a racist organization too

Wait. You see a group that promotes one race over another as racists? There is a novel thought.

FYI I agree. Have been saying this for a long time. I have no issue with groups that provide services to minorities, but the NAACP has gone from providing services to getting involved in politics and taking the stance that everything that happens to a black person is being done to them simply because they are black which is a blatantly racist way of thinking.