PDA

View Full Version : melo vs redd

t-mac rules
09-10-2006, 05:24 PM
well i had a firend thinking that redd is better than melo. i told him that melo is wayy wayy better and has more potential and is wayy younger. i wanna know who you guys think would win. lmk

WilyWestbrook0
09-10-2006, 06:00 PM
shooting - Redd
inside scoring - Anthony
maturity - Redd
clutch - Anthony
upside - Anthony

Hoopladawg87
09-10-2006, 06:05 PM
I say Redd, and I'll tell you why. Sure, Melo is a little younger, but Redd and shoot. I mean shoot. As a forward, Carmelo's job is inside scoring, whereas Redd's job as a shooting guard is to shoot. Redd is more mature, and has more upside, as shooters tend to last a lot longer than slashers. Just my opinion.

andrewcstein
09-10-2006, 06:27 PM
I don't think you guys are giving Melo enough credit. Last year he really turned it around, especially from a maturity standpoint. He also carried Team USA this year. He's had a couple problems in the past, but he seems to be improving. He's also almost 5 years younger than Redd.

If the question is who would win in a 1-on-1, then I cant answer that. That's irrelevant. If the question is which of these two will have a better career, I think Melo will, by a good amount.

t-mac rules
09-10-2006, 06:30 PM
i agree stongle witha andrew.

andrewcstein
09-10-2006, 06:47 PM
I should add that I don't mean to knock down Redd. He's an amazing shooter (in my opinion, second best pure shooter in the league behind Ray Allen), and a very good scorer, but I just don't think he can do as much as Melo. Melo's also just 22, so give him some time :)

bdowden23
09-22-2006, 01:57 PM
Both guys at this point are just scorers. I have yet to see either player exhibit a passion for defense, rebounding or passing. Both score the same amount but in different ways. At this point, I would give the nod to Melo just as he actually has time to become a well rounded player.

rchurchward
09-22-2006, 02:00 PM
i sat by Michael Redd on an airplane flight out of Columbus during his last year at OSU. got his autograph on my ticket stub

redmac04
09-22-2006, 02:44 PM
i get to watch redd every year live at the bradley center and every year we get to see him dissapoint us. he is very inconsitent. one game he will have 30 points the next game he will have 12. he can't carry a team thats why they got villaneuva to help with scoring. when you watch melo you can see the greatness to come. as a freshman he carried his team to the national title. and if it wasnt for melo would denver win games? i would have to say that mo williams has been more clutch then redd. he actually made game winners alot. i dont like redd at all and wish they never gave him that contract. for that kind of money we could of got a much better player.

jeremy17
09-22-2006, 03:54 PM
i sat by Michael Redd on an airplane flight out of Columbus during his last year at OSU. got his autograph on my ticket stub

Thats pretty sick always sweet when you run into an athlete and get an autograph.Im also going to say melo is way way better.

MDIZZ
09-22-2006, 05:16 PM
shooting - Redd
inside scoring - Anthony
maturity - Redd
clutch - Anthony
upside - Anthony
defense-they both never heard of it

fixed!!:icon_eek: :new_usa: :new_llyin

Reggie_Miller
09-22-2006, 05:39 PM
I like Redd...Melo is a ballhog and is overrated. Mainly b/c Melo's Rookie year was 03-04. Bron, Wade, maybe Melo (but prolly Bosh). That's what the end of this discussion ends with! :)

jeremy17
09-22-2006, 05:53 PM
Reggie dont forget Josh Howard I can see him being a real big star and hes also from that class.And I agree with you actually about Melo he is kinda overrated sometimes. I think I got carryed away cuz he did step up for the U.S.A but he was also a ball hog.But to put melo up against redd I still think melo has a lot more talent.

andrewcstein
09-22-2006, 06:00 PM
I'm not sure how he's a ballhog. Just because he takes a lot of shots doesn't make him a ballhog. That offense runs through him, and he's the one guy they count on. Their big men missed a TON of time, and the only other star he has is Andre Miller, a pure point guard. I agree that Melo shoots a lot, but at 48% from the field, that's not always a bad thing.

jeremy17
09-22-2006, 06:06 PM
Yeh I agree he takes a lot of shots and the stat you provided is very good but I was basing the comment of "ball hog" on the tournament that the U.S just had.I watched many games from that tournament and could see melo had many chances to pass and didnt.With a team stacked with stars they should share the ball more and use all their talent.I agree with you saying that on Denver the only other fairly good player is Andre miller so Melo is forced to shoot and keep the ball its the only way their gonna win.

andrewcstein
09-22-2006, 06:14 PM
I didn't see much of the US tourney, so I can't comment on that. all I know is that from everything I read, Melo was the only one really stepping up, so the coaches may have told him to shoot more. I dont know. Good point though, i didn't realize how many shots he took in the tourney.

halekulani
09-23-2006, 10:24 AM
melo proved he was ahead of the pack in the summer's FIBA games. definitely overlooked as far as star power goes. people don't even understand his clutchness...his game is far more polished than james' IMO. james definitely has more upside because he's physically a manbeast...but by mechanics, melo is definitely more mature.

asujbl
09-23-2006, 10:44 AM
these discussions never work...Melo would dominate Redd in 1 on 1 (I actually know Redd really well from Ohio State) because that's not Redd's game. Redd is probably a better all around player on a 5 on 5 team because he doesn't need the ball in his hands on every play to make everyone else better. Melo needs to be scoring or he is usually a non-factor.

halekulani
09-23-2006, 11:08 AM
if you've seen the denver nuggets play, you would realize why melo should have the ball every possession. nobody on the nuggets can even buy a jumpshot.

coolguy69
09-23-2006, 01:25 PM
Yeah, really, the Nuggets are terrible. People say that Melo is a ballhog, but if you shoot that percentage, then it's ok to be a ballhog. He was the only reason that the nuggets weren't a bottom 5 team last year, and he was a huge brightspot on the USA Team. Even if you consider him and Redd to be on the same level right now, you have to give the nod to Melo based on pure upside.

TurdFerguson
09-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Moved to Pro Sports Basketball since this discussion has nothing to do with cards.

netsthebest678
10-01-2006, 01:53 PM
Redd is better right now. But in a few years carmelo will be amazinger.