PDA

View Full Version : Random Trading Question

Therealmahoney
08-09-2018, 11:28 AM
Sorry if this is posted somewhere else, but Iím just curious. For trading, does everyone use bv as a base to look at value going both ways?

pwskelly
08-09-2018, 01:53 PM
Some people use BV, while others use sales value (i.e. sold listings on eBay) as a gauge for value. I myself use BV for trading base or low-end cards however it's hard to alway rely on BV entirely. I have traded inserts based on sales value for instance, that book for $50 or more but repeatedly sell on eBay for $5. I can't really expect to try to trade for BV if my trading partner can get multiple copies on eBay for $5. Sometimes you have to be flexible and use a grain of common sense, relying on a mix of BV and SV.

I think you will find that most traders on here will use BV or SV as long as it applies both ways.

Sorry if this is posted somewhere else, but I’m just curious. For trading, does everyone use bv as a base to look at value going both ways?

Therealmahoney
08-09-2018, 04:48 PM
Ok cool, thanks. Good to know before I dive in!

Thick McRunfast
08-15-2018, 04:14 PM
I have traded inserts based on sales value for instance, that book for $50 or more but repeatedly sell on eBay for $5. I can't really expect to try to trade for BV if my trading partner can get multiple copies on eBay for $5. Sometimes you have to be flexible and use a grain of common sense, relying on a mix of BV and SV.

Well said! I've had traders insist on using Beckett value only, and sometimes it just doesn't make any sense.