PDA

View Full Version : Vintage collectors; Jerry West buy...

dpeezy415
10-05-2006, 05:16 PM
I have been collecting vintage basketball cards for a few months now and this is a good find IMO.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160034116816&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fse arch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D160034116816%250 9%26fvi%3D1

The scan looked great but we all know how that goes. When I got it in the mail today the condition was even better than I expected. It has to be at least a PSA 7 so I am really happy.

I am assembling my 3rd set from this year. I am trying to put together a set that would grade ex-mint+, which is quite a challenge. The centering on these SUCK and in 1970 it was tough enough to store regular cards let alone tall boy issues like these.

Any other vintage basketball collectors out there? Interesting to know whose got what of the old stuff...

phatboi
10-05-2006, 11:47 PM
I wouldn't call myself a vintage collector by any stretch, but when I get the chance I've picked up some over time. Feel free to check out my recent pickups in my bucket under Vintage m8.

GL

dpeezy415
10-06-2006, 05:59 AM
Those cards in your bucket are cool. I like the 76-77 cards...

I am trying to acquire rookies of the main guys. I scored a 57 topps Bill Russell in a BVG 5 and a 61 fleer Jerry West in a PSA 7 last week...

Bill Russell RC:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250032963414&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fse arch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D250032963414%26f vi%3D1

Jerry West RC:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320031340052&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fse arch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D320031340052%26f vi%3D1

autocut
10-06-2006, 07:40 AM
I pick up vintage Rcs from time to time. Got Gervin, D. Dawkins, etc. I prefer vintage over the new stuff anyday.

dpeezy415
10-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Won a 72 Wilt Chamberlain PSA 8 the other day...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260036532430&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fse arch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D260036532430%26f vi%3D1

jeremy17
10-07-2006, 06:50 PM
The chamberlain was a nice buy for your money but were those the actual amounts you bought those cards for cuz not to many people go that money to spend regardless there very nice cards congratz on the wins.

dpeezy415
10-08-2006, 07:27 AM
The chamberlain was a nice buy for your money but were those the actual amounts you bought those cards for cuz not to many people go that money to spend regardless there very nice cards congratz on the wins.

Yes, these are the actual amounts. I put more money into vintage cards because I do believe that these types of cards will hold there value and even see a bigger increase in comparison to baseball. A dealer told me that there is far less vintage stuff. I was at the national in Anaheim and I saw very few dealers with a good variety of vintage basketball.

The high end new stuff is going for much more. I think that the supply of the older stuff is far less and I can hold it for the long term. Who is willing to hold on to JJ Redick, Adam Morrison or Brandon Roy rookie cards for 20 years and see if they have steadily increased? Would I rather have an exquisite Andrew Bogut rookie or a Julius Erving rookie in 20 years? For me the answer is easy, and I didn't even see Dr. J play...

In my opinion, the early basketball, mainly 48 bowman, 57 topps, 61 fleer and 69 topps represent the HISTORY of basketball. Basketball is still relatively new in comparison to football or baseball, and with its popularity today I think these cards are bound to increase, or at least maintain their value.

But it IS just an opinion...

jeremy17
10-08-2006, 09:52 AM
I agree with you dude vintage is worth way more and in the future there will be less and less and won't be abl to supply peoples demands and it will be worth even more but what I meant was you had over 1000 bucks in those 3 cards and could have spent it on many more possiblilties like say lebron or d-wade guys that will fors ure do good in the nba and their cards will sure increase.Anyways it all depends on what you collect and what you like you happen to be a vintage collector so you buy vintage cards.And they are very nice cards no doubt so keep up your collection there isnt that many vintage collectors on the web t so its nice to see one for a change keep up your nice collection.

dpeezy415
10-09-2006, 03:58 PM
You are right, Wade and James are AMAZING talents, a couple of the BEST I've ever seen. Time will tell what their legacy is on the sport.

At the same time, SO many things can happen that can affect the value of cards. Tim Duncan has two championships yet does not draw the hobby attention. Kobe's cards would be higher if he didn't get in trouble. Kevin Garnett has been one of the most consistent talents in the league, but who collects him?

I think that once collector's realize what guys like West,Chamberlain,Russell,Maravich,Mikan,Cousy and Dr. J did for the game, the values of the cards will increase.

My point is, the value of vintage stuff is affected differently than the modern stuff, therefore easier to control.

Don't get me wrong. I have 5-10 rookies of Wade, Lebron, and Chris Paul, the lower end stuff. But this stuff is just for fun. For instance, I really like the 2003 topps James because of the way it looks, so I bought two.

Collectors all have their own reasons for buying and each person's collection is special. That's what makes this hobby so great.

I wanted to see some vintage B-ball collections because I haven't really seen any up to this point...

jeremy17
10-09-2006, 05:15 PM
Definetly agree with this point "Collectors all have their own reasons for buying and each person's collection is special. That's what makes this hobby so great.".This is why not everyone collects the same thing and everyone has there own collecting goals.I also agree with you saying about how amazing players don't turn out all that good in card collecting although I have to say duncan and garnett I can't see being nba legends maybe but not likely just very good players. kobe I can but with him getting in trouble I agree his cards could have been even more popular then if he didnt but players like wade and lebron I can se be nba legends there talent exceeed many players and many people compare lebron to the greatest player in the game so they could end up being worth as much as your vintage now 20 years from now but imagine youir cards 40 years from now.You should have a very excellent and high value collection whenver you feel it is completed.Stay with it and keep building it.Good luck too. =) Thanks nice talking to you.

Jeremy

You are right, Wade and James are AMAZING talents, a couple of the BEST I've ever seen. Time will tell what their legacy is on the sport.

At the same time, SO many things can happen that can affect the value of cards. Tim Duncan has two championships yet does not draw the hobby attention. Kobe's cards would be higher if he didn't get in trouble. Kevin Garnett has been one of the most consistent talents in the league, but who collects him?

I think that once collector's realize what guys like West,Chamberlain,Russell,Maravich,Mikan,Cousy and Dr. J did for the game, the values of the cards will increase.

My point is, the value of vintage stuff is affected differently than the modern stuff, therefore easier to control.

Don't get me wrong. I have 5-10 rookies of Wade, Lebron, and Chris Paul, the lower end stuff. But this stuff is just for fun. For instance, I really like the 2003 topps James because of the way it looks, so I bought two.

Collectors all have their own reasons for buying and each person's collection is special. That's what makes this hobby so great.

I wanted to see some vintage B-ball collections because I haven't really seen any up to this point...

dpeezy415
10-12-2006, 12:45 AM
I won this one today and I am super stoked

1957-58 Bob Cousy RC:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130034676239&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fse arch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D130034676239%26f vi%3D1

gatorboymike
10-15-2006, 03:31 AM
Got me a nice 1970-71 John Havlicek the other day, killer cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&item=300037025297&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

If anyone has any extras from 69-70 or 70-71, I'm looking for several to complete my sets.

dpeezy415
10-15-2006, 06:17 AM
Gatorboymike- I also collect 69-70 and 70-71 tallboys. I am limited to PSA7-8of the stars for 70-71, but only 1 double of Oscar Robertson in a PSA7...

As for the 69-70, I have about 50 of 99 for a third set, but would be willing to let it go for the right price, or if you have doubles we could exchange some...

Let me know...

gatorboymike
10-15-2006, 12:04 PM
dpeezy, these are the 69-70's that I need:

3. Cazzie Russell
4. Darrall Imhoff
6. Lucius Allen
12. Gus Johnson
18. Dick Barnett
27. Walt Hazzard
29. Keith Erickson
30. Bob Rule
31. Dick Van Arsdale
32. Archie Clark
53. Jim Davis
55. Dave Bing
65. Lou Hudson
72. Tom Sanders
78. Bob Love
79. Tom Van Arsdale
81. Greg Smith
88. Jim Fox
91. Chet Walker
94. Kevin Loughery
95. Walt Bellamy

I have extras of Gail Goodrich, Elgin Baylor, Bill Bradley, Len Wilkens, Jerry Lucas, Oscar Robertson, Wes Unseld, Elvin Hayes, Earl Monroe, Jerry West, and 15-20 commons and lesser stars. Interested in negotiating?

dpeezy415
10-15-2006, 12:28 PM
dpeezy, these are the 69-70's that I need:

3. Cazzie Russell
4. Darrall Imhoff
6. Lucius Allen
12. Gus Johnson
18. Dick Barnett
27. Walt Hazzard
29. Keith Erickson
30. Bob Rule
31. Dick Van Arsdale
32. Archie Clark
53. Jim Davis
55. Dave Bing
65. Lou Hudson
72. Tom Sanders
78. Bob Love
79. Tom Van Arsdale
81. Greg Smith
88. Jim Fox
91. Chet Walker
94. Kevin Loughery
95. Walt Bellamy

I have extras of Gail Goodrich, Elgin Baylor, Bill Bradley, Len Wilkens, Jerry Lucas, Oscar Robertson, Wes Unseld, Elvin Hayes, Earl Monroe, Jerry West, and 15-20 commons and lesser stars. Interested in negotiating?

YES!!! I have an extra Bill Bellamy and an extra Darrell Imhoff. What kind of condition are you looking for and what kind do you have?

I am trying to put together a SOLID EX-MT set, so let me look at it to see which ones I can upgrade, then I can let go of some of the ones you might need...

dpeezy415
10-15-2006, 12:42 PM
...and possibly Lucius Allen, Dick Barnett, Walt Hazzard, Dick Van Arsdale, Jim Davis and Chet Walker

gatorboymike
10-15-2006, 08:09 PM
That sounds promising...I'm looking for cards in condition no worse than Excellent (PSA 5 equivalent). No creasing, ripping, tack holes, or extensive staining or marking. I just bought a big lot of them on eBay, and when that gets here I'll be able to tell you exactly what I need and exactly what I have to offer. If you could tell me which ones you need, we could start working out a trade.

raf12
10-16-2006, 01:20 AM
I have complete sets of the 69-70 and 70-71 Topps Basketball tall boys. I have no interest in modern basketball (except college) but love the old stuff. I grew up in New York and was weaned on the great Knicks teams of the late 60's and early 70's. I used to go into the games at Madison Square Garden with my dad, and then after the games we'd go to Harry M Stevens bar. In those days, the players would hang out after the games at places like Harry M Stevens and we got many chances to meet and get autographs from Frazier, Reed, Debusschere, Monroe, etc. That's where I got my love of the old hoops. One of my favorite cards is a Red Holzman rookie from the 1948 Bowman set. Good to see a vintage basketball collector here.

dpeezy415
10-16-2006, 06:03 AM
raf12- thanks for sharing, vintage b-ball is where its at for me too!!! I am too young to have seen the players before the 80s, and I barely remember the Lakers/Celtics wars of the 80s (I was 5!), but I do have a great appreciation for the history of this wonderful game...

gatorboymike- the Bill Bellamy and the Darrell Imhoff are the only ones I have extras of. The others I named that you need are from my third set, but it is only 50% complete, so it will take me awhile to get it together. Not really in a hurry to complete it, so I don't mind letting them go...

Please update me when yours come in, we should work something out.

And they are EX.