PDA

View Full Version : Some newbie questions, please help

tradebark
11-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Hi all

I just recently got back into the hobby, so I'm wondering about a couple of things

1. Does the Beckett annual price guide have complete listings of insert sets? Also, do they show the listed rarity of each insert set? These are important to me since I collect Grant Hill, and since he is an "unlisted star" nowadays, he tends not to be listed for most insert sets.. which makes it difficult to know if he's even in them to begin with. Also I want to make note of how rare the cards I do have are just for personal enjoyment :)

2. What's the best way to store semi-pricy cards that makes them accessible? Back when I still collected, there were these modified card holders for binders where it basically was hard plastic pages.. imagine your standard 9-card holders except they were as stiff as toploaders. Do these still exist? Anything similar?

3. Is it worth it to get older Autographics cards graded (95-96, 96-97)? Most of them have that chipping along the borders, but I have one that to my naked eye seems pristine. I have never gotten anything graded since I dont really collect for value, but if I have one of the few potential 9.5-10 cards out there..

4. Are there any online resources I could use to say create a checklist of every Grant Hill card that exists? Does Beckett allow me to do this?

Thanks for your help :) and of course if you have any Hill stuff let me know hehe

palantri
11-19-2006, 09:15 PM
1. i dont know if they list rarity or odds, but it should list all insert sets. i know beckett.com does, but you have to pay 5 bucks a month per sport to have access to the online price guide

2. i put my cards in toploaders and have them in a large box that i keep near my computer

3. nope- grading really isnt worth it, unless you have a very valuable card that grades well- otherwise, you end up wasting your grading fees, and a lot of people dont like graded cards

4. beckett.com should let you do this. i know you can if you buy the online price guide, im not sure if they let you for free

Ed

tradebark
11-19-2006, 09:34 PM
thanks Ed

Do you have any thoughts as to resources that list actual odds? I know it hasnt really been done lately with all the super limited runs, but back in the day you could just look at either the pack or the box to see listed odds..

dpeezy415
11-22-2006, 12:15 PM
-The online price guide at beckett will give you every Grant Hill available. Just type in his name and print up a list of all his cards.

-the annual lists the different insert sets and every card in them, including commons and semi stars. Great resource

-I don't remember the pages you referred to, but most people use penny sleeves, toploaders and storage boxes. I prefer Card saver IIs, and for the nice stuff I like the four-screw screwdowns then graded card bags to keep them from getting scratched. I also like pages for viewing purchases

tradebark
11-25-2006, 12:36 AM
Thanks dpeezy :) I just ordered the annual from buy.com (with a $20 off $50 on any purchase REUSABLE from google checkout too.. check it out if you havent already).. And i will probably check out beckett's site in a bit.

Sorry a couple more questions-

While asking for a 4-screw glass case for some of my more treasured cards at my local shop, the owner told me that he stopped carrying them because they had a tendency to damage cards. Any ways of avoiding this?

sportsguyryan
11-25-2006, 01:33 AM
I personally use the one screw pro-mold cases, they have the recessed corners which will never damage your cards, run about $1 at the shop and totally look better than toploaders for your pc cards imo.

tradebark
11-25-2006, 03:54 AM
thanks

i have a few of those, and I guess my only problem with them is that while they're great for storage, they arent so great for display

heres a pic of the ones i have (and like.. though i might stop using them if i'm risking damage to the cards)

https://www.sportscardforum.com/clear.gif

leohoopfan
11-25-2006, 09:26 PM
I don't know if your Grant Hill collection includes cards in his Duke uniform or not. If so, I have a Excel spreadsheet which identifies every GHill card in the Duke uniform (there are a total of 61 different cards). I'd gladly send it to you if you are interested. Send me an e-mail at leohearn@comcast.net and I will respond with the checklist. Regards, Leo

tradebark
11-25-2006, 10:34 PM
whoa thanks! emailed you