PDA

View Full Version : What is more important in a collection?

tierre_brown
11-25-2006, 04:08 PM
I've been looking through a couple of people's PCs...and many of them are very impressive. However, I have a question:

Which is more important (to you) in your PC? Is it the quantity of cards or the rarity of cards or the value of the cards?

For me, when I started collecting, I tried to get every single base card I could (quantity). As I grew older, it was more about sentimental value (personally signed auto cards, etc). Nowadays, though, it seems to me that I focus more on the value of the cards than anything else, even moreso than rarity sometimes since those don't book.

What is important to your PC?

the_future
11-25-2006, 04:53 PM
Quantity for me, but in any collection of a player you should have a couple high end cards.

tradebark
11-25-2006, 05:08 PM
IMO have it be well-rounded

Stuff like rookies are an absolute must.. and high-end/sentimental stuff like autos as well (whether they were inserts or signed in person).

I used to want to get every base card but it is very difficult (and not especially rewarding) especially if you have not been in the hobby year in and year out.

Nene
11-25-2006, 05:41 PM
A little of both. I like to have a bunch of GU (I have 32 AK Gus), a few high end (4 Exquisites), a good amt of autos (11), and as many base as possible.

So I guess i just like to get as much as possible :P

dpeezy415
11-25-2006, 06:13 PM
I collect for ALL 4 reasons. Rarity, numbers, value and sentiment.

I have one of the nicest sets of 1970-71 topps poster inserts you'll see, those are RARE.

I have 1000+ Will Clark cards and I'd like to have all of them.

I don't know many people with Cousy, Russell, West and Wilt rookies in GREAT shape, those are valuable.

And my most sentimental card is the Magic Johnson in my avatar. It is my FIRST card, has a crease across his body and ketchup stains. And I keep it in a 1/2 inch thick screwdown. It's probably worth 10 cents on the market, but why would I ever sell it? I wouldn't...

I collect for all aspects of our great hobby...

WilyWestbrook0
11-25-2006, 06:53 PM
Yeah, I have a limited budget, but I've tried to keep my Antoine collection as varied as possible. I have all his rookies except Chrome, over 20 GU, probably over 100 inserts, and a good majority of his base. I'd like to work most on the autos, but at this point, I am interested in anything needed that is listed and priced by Beckett.

jeremy17
11-25-2006, 07:47 PM
for me its all of the above.lol.i trade for base cards i already have 5 of just becuz i love collecting that player of like the look of that card.I like collecting gu and rc's too but sometimes i go for the cards that book higher like for my chris paul collection i recently got his ud rc and his topps chrome.And i just purchased like 3 gu that are on thier way.but all in all i just like collecting all of that player doesn't matter whats more important.

Reggie_Miller
11-25-2006, 07:56 PM
yeah, I just collect what I don't have of Villanueva...and that's the same of everything else...I like the higher-end ones too, b/c they are usually nicer. I also try to buy cards cheap that I can invest in (like sell for more later on). I've been working on some things lately that I just want, like patch cards, more autos, etc.

BIBINC
11-26-2006, 06:19 AM
I think it is more the thrill of the chase to make my collection complete, price of cards is not to important, and my favorite cards in my collection are from 00-01 Finest they are the the unredeemed redemption cards of Shaq & Iverson. Still trying to get the Larry Johnson. But I will keep chasing.