PDA

View Full Version : Players Potential?

D-West13
12-20-2006, 05:34 PM
How long is too long to wait for "potential" before you declare a player a bust? Obviously there are players who we are still waiting on (Kwame Brown) Then other players who took longer to breakout (Jermaine O'Neal)

andrewcstein
12-20-2006, 06:31 PM
I think it depends on the circumstances. If a player can't get the playing time because he's not physically ready (as in Jermaine O'neal's case) or because he's stuck behind an established star, you might need to give them more time.
If, however, a player just outright stinks (as in Kwame Brown's case), then I'd say they're not reaching their potential. You never know, but when a guy like Kwame gets his chance over and over and over again and can't seem to be half the player he was expected to be, it might be time to call the dream over.

As always, there are many exceptions, but as a general rule, that's what I look at.

the_future
12-21-2006, 12:35 AM
I think it depends on the circumstances. If a player can't get the playing time because he's not physically ready (as in Jermaine O'neal's case) or because he's stuck behind an established star, you might need to give them more time.
If, however, a player just outright stinks (as in Kwame Brown's case), then I'd say they're not reaching their potential. You never know, but when a guy like Kwame gets his chance over and over and over again and can't seem to be half the player he was expected to be, it might be time to call the dream over.

As always, there are many exceptions, but as a general rule, that's what I look at.

I agree ^^^.

If you were to give a time frame I would say if hasn't lived up to expectations through 5 years then he most likely a bust.