PDA

View Full Version : Making money while in the hobby

Buschmaster
01-02-2007, 11:30 PM
I'm into the hobby, I like collecting in general. But, I would like to make money on the hobby as well. What are the best ways? I was thinking the ways are...

Buying random packs and selling the cards inside them on ebay or here
Buying boxes and selling the cards inside them on ebay or here
Buying boxes and selling the packs inside them on ebay or here
Buying cases and selling boxes on ebay or here
A certain combination?

Here is what I was thinking, see if you guys can spot flaws...

I was thinking I'd buy a box like Hardcourt or Reflections and opening the packs and then selling the cards on ebay and here for a while. Maybe I would only make so much money on this for a little while. Would I make money on it, really? Then the idea was that once I've made some money off this or around this summer I could start investing in some cheaper cases and selling some boxes in those and maybe opening a box in each case to sell individual cards and keep building my own library.

Thanks for any help, guys! :smile:

movel23
01-03-2007, 02:00 AM
I don't want to sound skeptical but generally opening packs and boxes doesn't yeild the cost of the box itself unless you get lucky and pull something nice... I know a lot of store owners will buy individual cards at extremely cheap prices and sell those online, usually they buy something that's hot at the time, exquisite or wade for instance.. .hope that makes sense.. but good luck whatever you choose to do!

jeremy17
01-03-2007, 02:18 AM
exquiste.You buy an exquisite of a player unknown then when he starts playing well you resell for more.I know a guy who made a ton on k-marts and they say the next guy to make his money is C.J miles.

sportsguyryan
01-03-2007, 02:42 AM
Wouldn't reccomend trying to make money on basketball, much easier on football.

the_future
01-03-2007, 03:40 AM
Wouldn't reccomend trying to make money on basketball, much easier on football.

I completely agree. It will be ALOT easier in football. I have been ripped off a lot when I have purchased boxes in basketball. For example, I bought a 05-06 UD Hardcourt box for about $60-$65, which at the time was a fair and decent price. I got a GU of a no name player (Jamaal Magloire) and an auto of C.J. Miles. I could have bought each of those for $3 a piece of ebay. I knew it only came with 1 auto and 1 gu, but I expected better players. In football, it just seems like you have more of a chance at pulling a nice gu or auto of a big name player. Good luck!

coolguy69
01-03-2007, 07:05 AM
Yeah man, basically what everyone else is saying. NEVER buy boxes in order to try to sell what you pull, other than maybe Exquisite, but that's really high end. IMO, the best way to make money in the hobby is to buy boxes/cases of strong draft classes in all 3 sports and sit on them for a while. They almost always go up in price as they become less common. Take the 03/04 Exquisite cases now going for 15,000. Insane. The other way is to do your research and buy players that you think have excellent hobby potential. For example, a backup quarterback that may get his shot after a veteran retires, or an underachieving basketball player that you think may break out. It's tough to do, but completely possible. You just have to become familiar with price trends and some of the obvious stuff, like buying cards in off seasons, such as buying football during baseball and baseball during football, etc...

jeremy17
01-03-2007, 12:41 PM
I completely agree. It will be ALOT easier in football. I have been ripped off a lot when I have purchased boxes in basketball. For example, I bought a 05-06 UD Hardcourt box for about $60-$65, which at the time was a fair and decent price. I got a GU of a no name player (Jamaal Magloire) and an auto of C.J. Miles. I could have bought each of those for $3 a piece of ebay. I knew it only came with 1 auto and 1 gu, but I expected better players. In football, it just seems like you have more of a chance at pulling a nice gu or auto of a big name player. Good luck!

I'd be interested in the c.j miles if its ft!

jeremy17
01-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Yeah man, basically what everyone else is saying. NEVER buy boxes in order to try to sell what you pull, other than maybe Exquisite, but that's really high end. IMO, the best way to make money in the hobby is to buy boxes/cases of strong draft classes in all 3 sports and sit on them for a while. They almost always go up in price as they become less common. Take the 03/04 Exquisite cases now going for 15,000. Insane. The other way is to do your research and buy players that you think have excellent hobby potential. For example, a backup quarterback that may get his shot after a veteran retires, or an underachieving basketball player that you think may break out. It's tough to do, but completely possible. You just have to become familiar with price trends and some of the obvious stuff, like buying cards in off seasons, such as buying football during baseball and baseball during football, etc...

Yeh what he said lol.How bout these guys for examples Tony Romo and Kevin Martin.

sportsguyryan
01-03-2007, 01:35 PM
If you play fantasy football, you'll know if there is a guy who will be a first year starter on a new team or something. Pick up some of his $5 autos and see how well he does (hint hint michael turner free agent hint hint)

slamma3
01-03-2007, 03:48 PM
Some Dealers use other people to help sell their cards and then pay them a commission (usually 10%) on whatever they sell. The dealers usually hold onto the cards and all you basically do is find buyers for these cards at the prices the dealer supplies you with. The buyer contacts the dealer and you get you commission monthly. It is an easy way for someone to make some money and never have to spend a dime for the cards.

jaderock
01-03-2007, 03:58 PM
The honest truth is you can't make an honest living off sportscards without alot of LUCK, but also alot of hard work! It's not easy nor is it cheap and at times the "wait to flip MAY NEVER COME".
---
Cute thread that in Football, people say Basketball is easier to make money. People in Basketball often say the opposite. Funny.
---
Examples like Andres Biedrins turn out good and might even be better or may NEVER TOP the current level EVER again. But timing and luck (New Coach Don Nelson) along with maturity and performances on the court plays into the success or failure of potential. Heck, most teams have smarten up on defending Biedrins a lot better in Dec and his stats are now steady vs rising. What's to follow?
---
A fellow collector said "I bought 40k in boxes and cases last year and made only 50% back...it was hella fun, but the worst ROI year" Do you have $40,000 to play with?!?
---
My advise is simply...Enjoy the hobby by collecting what makes you happy regardless of percieved worth...you'll end up staying in the hobby a lifetime.

jeremy17
01-03-2007, 04:15 PM
The honest truth is you can't make an honest living off sportscards without alot of LUCK, but also alot of hard work! It's not easy nor is it cheap and at times the "wait to flip MAY NEVER COME".
---
Cute thread that in Football, people say Basketball is easier to make money. People in Basketball often say the opposite. Funny.
---
Examples like Andres Biedrins turn out good and might even be better or may NEVER TOP the current level EVER again. But timing and luck (New Coach Don Nelson) along with maturity and performances on the court plays into the success or failure of potential. Heck, most teams have smarten up on defending Biedrins a lot better in Dec and his stats are now steady vs rising. What's to follow?
---
A fellow collector said "I bought 40k in boxes and cases last year and made only 50% back...it was hella fun, but the worst ROI year" Do you have $40,000 to play with?!?
---
My advise is simply...Enjoy the hobby by collecting what makes you happy regardless of percieved worth...you'll end up staying in the hobby a lifetime.

very good post but I don't think he wanted to make a living of cards but rather make profit to use the money to buy other things.What you said about biedrins is exactly right and I know a guy that is a big time collector of him and is upset hes not doing as much as he can and If were to say advice to somone who is looking to make profit in cards i'd say the very last sentence you said.Ia gree 100% of what you just said very good post!

Buschmaster
01-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Yeah, the idea isn't to make a living but just to profit in general.

Perhaps I poorly outlined that in my post.

halekulani
01-05-2007, 05:19 AM
save up money
buy exquisite
sit on it
sell it

it's the most boring way to make money, but it's definitely the lowest effort and highest reward.

Buschmaster
01-05-2007, 12:36 PM
I'm thinking after my friend and I get our tax rebates we're going to buy a case of football on ebay. Perhaps Fleer or Fleer Ultra and then sell them as boxes.

We'll check it out a bit more to make sure we're getting the best we can. But it looks like we could make some money off of that.

paul06901
01-06-2007, 09:11 PM
Unless you have a consistant extremely cheap connection, you will NEVER make profit off of selling boxes, especially on ebay. Theres just too many big dealers now that get the stuff and can sell it at barely any profit and gross bigger profit due to other sales, yet these box/case sales draw attention and is a great marketing strategy.

I paid for my entire college tuition last year just from flipping singles. It takes an extreme amount of time, and knowledge. You cant hesitate, you have to know the market, and have funds available constantly. You also have to be able to sustain a loss here and there. Since november, I have spent according to ebay, over $6000. But what have I sold out of that? Surely over 6K. Seems like a lot lot LOT of money, but when you buy a card and re sell the next week and make 20-100 off it if not more, it adds up after a while, and its not like your literally spending $6000 since the profit goes back into your funds for your next purchase(s)

hopefully I havent given anyone any ideas because I only know 2, maybe 3 people who are more successfull at this than me, and I dont want that number rising ;)

jaybiddyforeal
01-06-2007, 09:23 PM
ive taken 4000$ and turned it into an 11K collection from flipping singles over the year and a half. took about 1500 of that profit to invest in randy foye and kyle lowry and even if they lose big time (esp lowry), ill still be ahead. takes time and research to figure out the right guys to buy at the right time.

james

golfermatt91
01-06-2007, 11:46 PM
get a loan and open up a card shop i think thats what you need.... and then if/once you get that going then the profits will start

Buschmaster
01-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Unless you have a consistant extremely cheap connection, you will NEVER make profit off of selling boxes, especially on ebay. Theres just too many big dealers now that get the stuff and can sell it at barely any profit and gross bigger profit due to other sales, yet these box/case sales draw attention and is a great marketing strategy.

I paid for my entire college tuition last year just from flipping singles. It takes an extreme amount of time, and knowledge. You cant hesitate, you have to know the market, and have funds available constantly. You also have to be able to sustain a loss here and there. Since november, I have spent according to ebay, over $6000. But what have I sold out of that? Surely over 6K. Seems like a lot lot LOT of money, but when you buy a card and re sell the next week and make 20-100 off it if not more, it adds up after a while, and its not like your literally spending $6000 since the profit goes back into your funds for your next purchase(s)

hopefully I havent given anyone any ideas because I only know 2, maybe 3 people who are more successfull at this than me, and I dont want that number rising ;)
I was strictly looking at the prices. Look at the 12 box cases of Fleer Ultra on ebay and then look at what one box can sell for...

corys763
01-13-2007, 06:13 PM
my thoughts are that if you flip singles...and you know when to buy and sell you could probably do ok....but boxes and packs after opened can be a pain because then you have all these singles which some may be worthless or hard to get rid of...but if you sell the packs or boxes then you may be able to make some money depending on what brand you have!! Now if you have lots of resources like a card shop then it is probably a different story!!!

MDIZZ
01-13-2007, 10:08 PM
do the paperclip for house

IN OTHER WORDS

get cards and make trades,only make trades if u get more outta it money wise,watch basketball see whos stock is going up and down i mean thats how i "try to make money" even tho ive only sold 1 card in my life. go to high end places and get nice mid end rookies(bowman chrome,topps chrome,etc.,) i got a lot of rc for 25 cents dawg. worth.

dont risk on prospects unless price is realy cheap,by prospects i mean players who are unproven in the NBA level,like reddick i wouldnt realy get unless it was nice card,and buy cards of people who are getting more playing time,the more PT the better stats and people love stats.

telfair31wright15
01-14-2007, 12:26 PM
Yeah you really have to invest in players and hope their performance improves. This means, buying their exquisite or their greats of the game autos /99. lol @ jeremy... it was me who ya were talking about. CJ had 27 pts 9 rebs in the d league game last night, so hes definitely not bad, but I have a better player that I'm focusing on... don't want to drive up his prices though, so i won't mention anything.

And with what MDIZZ said... making money is all about the risk man. I mean look... real estate, the stock market- its all about risks and how the market will go. You have to buy some younger prospects and just basically hope that they will pan out and really get hot. But sometimes you have to take losses if they really don't become what is expected or they get injured. It's all about the business.