PDA

View Full Version : Would you take the risk?

BMetts
01-05-2007, 02:23 PM
Check out this auction and tell me if you would bite: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250069826512&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015
The guy has flawless feedback (over 1000 positives), and the cards look good. I sent him an inquiry e-mail, and here was his response:

Question: I'm interested in purchasing your 1986-87 Fleer set, but I need to know some important information about it.

In particular, you say there are two Jordans, a real and a fake - the real one, do you absolutely know it is real? Where did you get it from? Is there a way to authenticate it other than sending it in for grading?

I'm sure you understand my concern. Thanks!

Answer: I understand your concern. I would feel the same way. Without grading it I don't know. All I can tell you is this, when my son left for the Air Force I (1989) I was cleaning out his dresser and he had over 2000 cards and thats when I started to get involved with sports cards. He had some of the Fleer cards and one of them was the Jordan RC. So this is when I started putting the set and lots more. I can only truely say that this is real. I bought the fake one at a card show for 50.00. Just had to have it. The only reason I'm selling off all my sports cards is not to have my kids going threw a hassle. This is the best I can tell you. I feel having it this long its real.

I know there's a good chance it's fake, but I can't help but be curious. What would you do?

the_future
01-05-2007, 07:12 PM
NO. I would just be safe and IF your patient enough just wait until another auction comes up (With the same set) and you are completely confident there is a REAL Jordan RC in it. That's too much money to be wasting if there is only a fake Jordan RC in the set, and NO real RC of MJ. Good luck with whatever you do!

sportsguyryan
01-05-2007, 07:23 PM
I would ask for VERY close up scans.

panthersfans
01-05-2007, 07:40 PM
dont take the risk, i would wait and save a little and buy a graded jordan, that one has pretty rough edges. of course that's my opinion. there are a few bgs 8s on ebay now for 695 buy it now, so you know you have an authentic one, in way better shape, and then buy the rest of the set in pieces. you have the fun of building your own set, and the rest of the set is practically cheap now. good luck.

the_future
01-05-2007, 07:46 PM
I would ask for VERY close up scans.

This is a good idea. Then you will be able to decifer whether or not it's a fake. Good luck.

BCUS28
01-05-2007, 09:12 PM
I would like to know who in their right mind would knowingly want to buy a fake Jordan RC for $50.00. I'd stay away from that sale.

Reggie_Miller
01-05-2007, 09:52 PM
check out the trading forum for basketball on one of the sticky threads...there's a thread about this Jordan RC stuff...

dpeezy415
01-06-2007, 01:40 AM
I wouldn't buy it for the simple reason that the real Jordan is BEAT UP. The back is stained and you would have a TOUGH time reselling that one...

But, if the other cards in the auction are decent, you may want to take a chance...

the_future
01-06-2007, 03:20 AM
That's a good point ^^^. Whenever you are thinking about purchasing a Jordan 86-87 Fleer RC you should realize that many are going to be in bad condition, but others will be in average condition. It is VERY hard to find a mint Jordan RC that could get a 10 if graded, or even a 9 for that matter. Just be aware of that. Here is a link that should help you out with how to spot a fake or real Jordan rc...

http://www.sportscardforum.com/showthread.php?t=199807

BMetts
01-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I'm going to hold off for now, mostly because it's a lot of money to be parting with, especially for something that questionable. A 86-87 Fleer set would be nice to have, but I think I'll wait until I have the money to spare.

tutall
01-06-2007, 04:32 PM
if i bought something like that i would def put a qualifyer in there that if you send it away and it is deemed fake you get a full refund.... i am sure you could get something in writing