PDA

View Full Version : Bad Seller or Just No Knowledge or Computers



pwaldo
05-02-2003, 12:24 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2931&item=2727018969

Here's the auction.

I am really getting scam artist vibes from this seller but that Kobe card is sweet and at a decent price.

But I don't think that I am going to bid. Because I don't want this guy taking my money.

So do you guys think that he's a rip off or just knows nothing about computers?

leftyshan
05-02-2003, 01:15 PM
I wouldn't mess with it.

radioheadfloyd
05-02-2003, 01:54 PM
Not worth it, the card might be bent in two, who knows.

plunge
05-02-2003, 03:34 PM
I think you just need more information, pwaldo. A red flag goes up for 1) no picture, 2) no feedback yet, 3) no item description.

If this seller has an "About Me" page, that's a good start. But what you really want to do is email the seller. Even tell him (nicely) his auction set-up sucks. Ask for a picture, how will it be packaged. A good indication is how he replies in both quickness and how he does.

Another possibility is emailing the other bidders to ask what they think.

Good luck.

pwaldo
05-02-2003, 04:20 PM
Good advice plunge.

I think that I will email him.

Because sometimes I have emailed sellers before and then they reply real nasty and then I don't bid on their stuff. I don't get why some people get so mad at me for asking a question when they write in the description to ask any questions if you have any.

plunge
05-02-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by pwaldo
Good advice plunge.

Because sometimes I have emailed sellers before and then they reply real nasty and then I don't bid on their stuff. I don't get why some people get so mad at me for asking a question when they write in the description to ask any questions if you have any.

It's poor professionalism. Rule #1 with ebay: Play Nice!

pwaldo
05-02-2003, 04:33 PM
Your right.

If the people would have responded nicely I would have bid on their auctions but since they got mad I said nuts to them and didn't bid.

So by them being mean it hurt them in the sales department and even though some of the cards were real nice I felt better not getting them because I'll be able to find those cards by somebody else on ebay.

gioperation
05-02-2003, 05:02 PM
and you know what he will get more bids on that auction, when I was really sellig alot on ebay, I would desciprtion and pictures of the cards and had nice feedback, and I would get no bids or 1, then you see crap like this and he gets 15+ bids and a good price, I just don't understand.

leftyshan
05-02-2003, 05:14 PM
There's no way this is a legit auction. That card books for $2000 and you don't put a reserve? Please. Check out his other items for sale. He has 2 with pictures and the rest are like this. SCAM!!!!

gioperation
05-02-2003, 05:38 PM
it books for $2000 do you think that he knows that, I might try to snag it on a snipe, just to see.

I have been known to take a gamble, once or twice in my lifetime.

leftyshan
05-02-2003, 06:59 PM
My question is this. If he was able to scan the Prior and Kearns cards wouldn't you think he would scan the most valuable card he's selling? Just my PI instincts at work again. LOL

BGray
05-02-2003, 07:10 PM
I believe that there is a good chance this guy/gal has the card. But I don't think there is any way he/she will give it up for what the final price will be.


BGray

pwaldo
05-02-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by BGray
I believe that there is a good chance this guy/gal has the card. But I don't think there is any way he/she will give it up for what the final price will be.


BGray

He could do that but wouldn't that be dumb considering he's got low feedback. If I won it and he doesn't sell it to me then I just whack him with a negative. Then the next time he sells something he will even get less bids because he will have these questions plus a negative.

radioheadfloyd
05-02-2003, 08:18 PM
How much are you guys going to bid? Seems like a scam to me.

Qball76
05-02-2003, 08:55 PM
I would pass up bidding on this one, no description, no feedback equals no bid for me!!!

BGray
05-02-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by pwaldo
He could do that but wouldn't that be dumb considering he's got low feedback. If I won it and he doesn't sell it to me then I just whack him with a negative. Then the next time he sells something he will even get less bids because he will have these questions plus a negative.

The problem with that Pwaldo is that this person has nothing to lose. They don't have any positive feedback to protect. If they get a negative they can just create another account. It's not that hard to do if you have credit cards or a family member that isn't on ebay.

BGray

plunge
05-02-2003, 08:57 PM
If he's scamming, he's not very smart about it. Trap or no trap, you've got nothing to lose by asking him to 'fess up about the card and his reason for such a sloppy/lazy presentation.

Gio, you can't measure the character of a seller based on what they're selling. You can get the best item at the best price from the biggest s.o.b. on ebay while the nicest people in the world just don't know how to do business.

Perhaps the other bidders on this auction are saying this is how much I'm going to try my luck at what could be the deal of the century. They must all bet about this much on red at the roulette wheel in Vegas.

podstock
05-02-2003, 08:59 PM
I wouldn't go near that card via any amount of a bid.

That is a badly produced auction.

First, like folks have said above, he has no rating.

Second, and more importantly, there is no description, no scan. Nothing, other than saying bidder pays for shipping.

And this is an auction?

You've got to be kidding me

gioperation
05-02-2003, 09:55 PM
yep and that is the same reason you can pickup bargins on ebay in the middle of the night who starts a auction @ 3am unless they are going after the oversea's crowd, but so people are just not that smart as you will find out when they start giving items away.

plunge
05-02-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by gioperation
yep and that is the same reason you can pickup bargins on ebay in the middle of the night who starts a auction @ 3am unless they are going after the oversea's crowd, but so people are just not that smart as you will find out when they start giving items away.

Exactly. There are always ™™™™™™™es who don't know what they're doing. Some have auctions that end in the beginning of the Superbowl or on holidays like Easter or Christmas. Some sellers just don't think what they're doing.

radioheadfloyd
05-02-2003, 10:39 PM
You guys think that someone will throw up on ebay a $2,000 card without any knowledge or reservation? Seems odd to me, but whoever is bidding on it, I hope it works out.

gioperation
05-03-2003, 01:05 AM
you knwo what I think, before I had a digital camera and or a scanner I just went searching for like items and got pictures(i know the right thing to do, but I had no choice) he probably couldn't find a picture of the kobe refractor, so that's why it has none. I didn't check out hos other auctions, but I know there are other that sell stuff, with descriptions just like that and they have great feedback.

pwaldo
05-03-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by gioperation
you knwo what I think, before I had a digital camera and or a scanner I just went searching for like items and got pictures(i know the right thing to do, but I had no choice) he probably couldn't find a picture of the kobe refractor, so that's why it has none. I didn't check out hos other auctions, but I know there are other that sell stuff, with descriptions just like that and they have great feedback.

Thanks for everyone's input on this. And I know it is a long shot to get the card and all that but there are people on ebay that do not know stuff about what they are selling and you can find some good deals.

And I don't know if this is what gio was getting at or not but sellers CAN always have a picture of a card that is not theres in the auction. People steal pictures from other sellers all the time. I know this because I've done searches for cards and I check out all the auctions and somebody will have the same EXACT picture as the last auction that I just looked at.

stkmtimo
05-03-2003, 12:02 PM
This is a scam! Beware, the guy can't even spell "collectibles" right in his username! There is no feedback, description and shipping is a dollar. This guy is a scam.

Tim

stkmtimo
05-03-2003, 12:04 PM
The worst eBay auction ever I saw was 2 hours after the Columbia Space Shuttle tragedy. The seller was selling a piece of "debris" for $10,000. eBay took it off.

Tim

pwaldo
05-04-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by stkmtimo
The worst eBay auction ever I saw was 2 hours after the Columbia Space Shuttle tragedy. The seller was selling a piece of "debris" for $10,000. eBay took it off.

Tim

People like that make me sick. :mad: :mad: :mad: They should be kicked off of ebay and have their Internet service BANNED. People like that do not deserve to come in contact with the rest of the world.

stkmtimo
05-04-2003, 01:24 PM
Couldn't agree more. When the space shuttle went down in the morning, I went right on eBay and knew something would be up. Sure enough it was, but eBay said it was invalid. Not sure if the seller got kicked off, but I hope he/she did.

Tim

Qball76
05-04-2003, 01:30 PM
Pwaldo, so are you bidding on this auction or did you pass it up???

stkmtimo
05-04-2003, 01:35 PM
Also, did the guy ever respond to the email you sent, pwaldo?

Tim

pwaldo
05-04-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Qball76
Pwaldo, so are you bidding on this auction or did you pass it up???

No I'm not bidding on it. I thought maybe I could get a steal on it but its up to over $300. I'm not going to risk over $300 for a card that could be a ripoff.

jonsportscardz
05-04-2003, 03:19 PM
dont touch it buddy ,take care/////

pwaldo
05-05-2003, 06:05 PM
Wow!

Over $500 for that card.

Imagine what he would have gotten if he listed it correctly with a picture and had good feedback.

stkmtimo
05-08-2003, 09:11 AM
Let's hope the auction is legit, I really wouldn't want to see any get screwed for that amount.

Tim

pwaldo
05-08-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by stkmtimo
Let's hope the auction is legit, I really wouldn't want to see any get screwed for that amount.

Tim

While we will see in the next couple of days if its legit or not. Once the feedback starts coming in we can tell if the guy was real or just scamming people.

I too also hope he wasn't trying to scam people.

stkmtimo
05-13-2003, 09:10 PM
Hmmm, looks like eBay caught on and something happened. The guy who sold it is no longer a registered user. What a fraud.

Tim

plunge
05-13-2003, 10:13 PM
Thanks for checking this out, Tim

stkmtimo
05-13-2003, 11:00 PM
No problem. I like to do this sort of thing and detect fraud and illegal activity everywhere. I'm the kind of guy that rats people out for underage drinking. I haven't done it yet, but if I ever see it (like a parent providing a kid with a keg), I'm calling the cops.

Tim

pwaldo
05-14-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by stkmtimo
Hmmm, looks like eBay caught on and something happened. The guy who sold it is no longer a registered user. What a fraud.

Tim

Well I'm glad that I did not bid on it then. I just hope he did not rip anyone off.

stkmtimo
05-14-2003, 08:39 PM
Me either. Let's hope eBay caught on before the winning bidder sent the payment.

Tim

cardtrader
05-28-2003, 10:13 PM
don't risk it