PDA

View Full Version : Allegations Against NBA Referee Tim Donaghy

the_future
07-20-2007, 06:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2943095

I wonder if there are more refs out there doing the same thing Donaghy did?

Reggie_Miller
07-20-2007, 06:33 PM
yup, just what the NBA never wanted is investigations on officials calling a game "one-sided"

I don't like that ref that ejected TD anyway (lol) so let's get rid of him

the_future
07-20-2007, 06:35 PM
yup, just what the NBA never wanted is investigations on officials calling a game "one-sided"

I don't like that ref that ejected TD anyway (lol) so let's get rid of him

Ya. Lol. I'm not a big fan of Joey Crawford either.

the_future
07-20-2007, 06:39 PM
More importantly, look who officiated Game 3 between the Suns and Spurs in the 2007 NBA Playoffs!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AgyOn8McaHjmZ.5cc2ij5HeQvLYF?gid=200 7051224

More excuses for Suns fans! ;)

Reggie_Miller
07-20-2007, 06:42 PM
Spurs always have something (somebody) going for them :(

the_future
07-20-2007, 07:52 PM
Spurs always have something (somebody) going for them :(

It seems that way at least...

gatorboymike
07-22-2007, 06:19 PM
I guarantee you most of the refs are corrupt, intentionally screwing up the games for one or more of the following reasons: gambling, partisanship, being drunk with power, having a grudge, or being ordered to by the league. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if David Stern and his buddies conspire to affect the outcome of games. They're probably just throwing this guy to the wolves because information that would hurt them was about to come out.

RenegadeLonghorn
07-22-2007, 09:58 PM
More importantly, look who officiated Game 3 between the Suns and Spurs in the 2007 NBA Playoffs!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AgyOn8McaHjmZ.5cc2ij5HeQvLYF?gid=200 7051224

More excuses for Suns fans! ;)

What was wrong with the officiating in Game 3? Maybe I need a memory refresh. If anything the refs allowed Steve Nash to get back into the game numerous times even with a bloody nose.

Game 4 had the infamous cheap shot that resulted in the suspensions.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=AldgcGdX8go8oBxSFvfSdpmQvLYF?gid=200705 1424

the_future
07-23-2007, 01:13 AM
Renegade- From my memory there was nothing wrong with the offiacting from game 3. I was just saying that all the Suns fans who try to find excuses for why we lost to the Spurs, could now use this as another lame excuse. Lol.

RenegadeLonghorn
07-23-2007, 03:23 AM
Renegade- From my memory there was nothing wrong with the offiacting from game 3. I was just saying that all the Suns fans who try to find excuses for why we lost to the Spurs, could now use this as another lame excuse. Lol.

Ah ok. I agree with you. It will be interesting to see how cooperative he will be with the FBI. I wonder if we'll find out what games he betted on.

RenegadeLonghorn
07-23-2007, 03:29 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2945224

the_future
07-24-2007, 04:45 AM
I was wondering today if Tim Donaghy refereed in the Pacers-Pistons brawl, so I googled the date, box score, and recap, and sure enough Tim Donaghy was an official in that game!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=241119008

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page it will show who the refs were in that game.

I just thought that was kind of funny and ironic...

Vickfan7
07-24-2007, 05:01 AM
Supposedly Donaghy is going to name other refs and players that also bet on games. This could be real bad for the NBA

the_future
07-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Supposedly Donaghy is going to name other refs and players that also bet on games. This could be real bad for the NBA

Exactly. The NBA has been one of the most popular sports (if not, the most) in the past 5 years, because of the amount of talent that has entered the league (LeBron, Wade, Melo, and now Oden & Durant.) I could name off more, but these are the main ones that come to mind.

This incident could really effect the sport's popularity, because this a complete nightmare for the fan base, players, David Stern, and the rest of the league. The NBA has to prepare for the worst when Donaghy accuses/blames others that also bet on games.

Reggie_Miller
07-24-2007, 04:06 PM
i wonder if he was a ref in the brawl between the Nuggets and Knicks??

theproudestmonkey
07-24-2007, 04:40 PM
what the heck, i got a few minutes so ill throw my 2 cents out. this does not surprise me at all. pro basketball has been revered by many as a "fixed sport" for many years now. david stern has...

Reggie_Miller
07-24-2007, 04:43 PM
LMAO at the top reply...Since the 03-04 draft class, the NBA has been the #1 sport in the world to watch!!! It's the only sport that you actually have to have talent to play!!!

theproudestmonkey
07-24-2007, 05:04 PM
LMAO at the top reply...Since the 03-04 draft class, the NBA has been the #1 sport in the world to watch!!! It's the only sport that you actually have to have talent to play!!!

ahhh yes, think outside the box man!! just because something is YOUR favorite doesn't mean it is THE favorite. look at the FACTS, not just your own opinions. to say that the nba is bigger than the nfl or nascar (in any facit) is laughable.

Reggie_Miller
07-24-2007, 05:13 PM
it's the truth!!! Ever since the 03-04 Draft class, no sport has been close to being as popular as basketball.

theproudestmonkey
07-24-2007, 05:16 PM
quick stat for ya:

the nfl makes over 4 BILLION dollars in television rights alone each year (only 16 games per team)

the nba makes just over 700 MILLION dollars in television rights each year (82 games per team)

the nfl makes well over 6 times what the nba makes on viewership....but the nba has been "the #1 sport to watch" ?? hmmmmm

Reggie_Miller
07-24-2007, 05:22 PM
was that this year's stats? look at this year's draft class....mainly in 03-04, NBA was the only thing worth watching

theproudestmonkey
07-24-2007, 05:26 PM
what do you mean this year?? this year HASN'T STARTED, lol....that is the last season stats, and have been the same for many years though. i get it, your a basketball fan, but facts dont lie and they definately dont back up your statements. not gonna argue with ya cause its not even a legitimate, debatable discussion. take care

the_future
07-24-2007, 05:41 PM
First of all… I never said the NBA was the MOST popular. I said it was ONE of the most popular. Close to being the most popular BEFORE the allegations against Donaghy. The NBA was at a high when the Spurs won there 4th championship in the past 10 years. Dynasty? MLB doesn’t have a dynasty I can think of. NFL: Patriots maybe. NHL: No current dynasty I can think of.

IMO, the top 4 sports at the moment would be…

1. NFL: Hard to beat. However, the Vick & Pac-Man Jones incidents hurt the sport a little bit.
2. NASCAR: This sport grew in popularity a lot in the past decade.
3. NBA (Close behind NASCAR): Before allegations against Donaghy this sport was #3 IMO. It is the only sport that I can think of that has a dynasty (SA Spurs).
4. MLB (Steroids. I’m sure there are fans out there that lost interest. I did.)

theproudestmonkey
07-24-2007, 05:51 PM
First of all… I never said the NBA was the MOST popular. I said it was ONE of the most popular.

you did say one of, but also threw in "if not the most popular"

Exactly. The NBA has been one of the most popular sports (if not, the most) in the past 5 years, because of the amount of talent that has entered the league (LeBron, Wade, Melo, and now Oden & Durant.) I could name off more, but these are the main ones that come to mind.

look, there are only 5 major sports in this country, and the nhl is more of a canadian sports....so of the 4 major sports in the states, to say that the nba is 3 of 4 doesn't make it a "fan favorite" by any means.....and i might argue that baseball is a more "watched" sport (MANY more die hard fans than the nba has....not many dying 90 year old men watching their beloved celtics)

just clarifying things, i did quote you correctly the first time though

theproudestmonkey
07-24-2007, 06:22 PM
NASCAR has the second highest American television viewership of all sports behind American football, but people outside the United States couldn't care less about NASCAR and American football. In terms of global impact - which is greater than mere national impact - basketball is second only to soccer.

that depends on if you are talking about the sport or the league....yes, basketball is probably right behind soccer (but baseball is also HUGE world wide so i could debate that)....i dont think that the NBA is that big in europe or most of asia (except china for obvious reasons)....the nfl is the only franchise that has already expressed intentions of "branching out" to cities outside of the US for regular season games....that has to show some kind of international interest....they sold 100,000 tickets in mexico city for a regular season game....i think you might be surprised how big the nfl is globally

the_future
07-24-2007, 06:40 PM
NASCAR has the second highest American television viewership of all sports behind American football, but people outside the United States couldn't care less about NASCAR and American football. In terms of global impact - which is greater than mere national impact - basketball is second only to soccer.

I was going to make that point earlier. I promise. Lol.

proudestmonkey- You did quote me correctly. Although, what I meant by making that follow up statement ("if not, the best") was that it is very close behind the NFL & NASCAR. The NBA's international popularity makes it a decent debate though IMO...

theproudestmonkey
07-24-2007, 07:12 PM
Baseball does have a considerable worldwide influence - especially in Japan and Latin American countries - but basketball is huge in Europe, and is now booming in China, thanks to Yao Ming. Europe and China together are much bigger than the whole of Japan and the Latin American countries in terms of population.

As far as football's plans for games outside the United States, they are not the only ones to have them. In fact, there have been pre-season games played now in China between NBA teams for the last couple of years, and Stern would like to find a way to incorporate some international play into the regular season in the future. He's stated this several times.

again, if we are talking about the sport as a whole and not just the pro leagues leagues in north america, then i cant argue basketball's popularity world wide. but lets face it, in north america we dont follow international sports (most people - i think of myself as VERY well versed in all walks of sport - i watched a freakin cricket match the other day, lol)

the fact that college basketball is so popular in the states gives it even more credibility in the arguement as a sport

RenegadeLonghorn
07-24-2007, 11:15 PM
to the general public, professional basketball is just a few rungs above the nhl.

Really now? Funny how much NBA coverage (games, commentaries, highlights) I see on ESPN. NHL games are not even televised on ESPN anymore. ESPN is the #1 provider of sports to the public. To say that the NBA is a "few rungs above" above the NHL is an inaccurate statement.

I don't know revenue facts but my guess is the NBA makes more money than NASCAR. I still don't see how NASCAR has more fans. Do millions of people sit down and watch a Daytona race on TV? I know for sure millions of people watch an NBA finals game.

theproudestmonkey
07-25-2007, 02:15 PM
Really now? Funny how much NBA coverage (games, commentaries, highlights) I see on ESPN. NHL games are not even televised on ESPN anymore. ESPN is the #1 provider of sports to the public. To say that the NBA is a "few rungs above" above the NHL is an inaccurate statement.

I don't know revenue facts but my guess is the NBA makes more money than NASCAR. I still don't see how NASCAR has more fans. Do millions of people sit down and watch a Daytona race on TV? I know for sure millions of people watch an NBA finals game.

of course there is more nba on television than the nhl - not a very strong arguement, lol

and yes....MILLIONS of people watch nascar on a weekly basis, not just the big races

theproudestmonkey
07-25-2007, 02:38 PM
true, true....but none of the other individual sports can come close to nascar's fan base

thread did get off topic a bit, lol.....dude is in some trouble, thats for sure!! i have never seen so much "controversy" across professional sports as there is right now (bonds in baseball, vick in football, donaghy in the nba)....every time i turn on espn there is a commish speaking!! any actual sports being played right now??

RenegadeLonghorn
07-25-2007, 06:18 PM
of course there is more nba on television than the nhl - not a very strong arguement, lol

Actually, that was a very strong arguement. You just don't want to admit that I quoted you on an inaccurate statement. NBA is a lot more successful than the NHL; the fact that the NBA has a lot more television coverage means its popular and very successful...not just a "few rungs above" (quoting you) the NHL. NHL gets very little coverage. NBA doesn't get the coverage on ESPN that the MLB and NFL get, but certainly more than NASCAR and NHL.

Also, which sport gets the most endorsement deals? MLB, NBA, or NFL players? I see more commercials involving NBA players, but that just might be me.

Every sport has their flaws. NFL has poor player conduct. We're still in the MLB steroid era. NHL had a lockout that crippled the sport. NBA has had brawls and now the situation with the ref. NASCAR was rocked by a cheating scandal.

theproudestmonkey
07-25-2007, 06:26 PM
Actually, that was a very strong arguement. You just don't want to admit that I quoted you on an inaccurate statement. NBA is a lot more successful than the NHL; the fact that the NBA has a lot more television coverage means its popular and very successful...not just a "few rungs above" (quoting you) the NHL. NHL gets very little coverage. NBA doesn't get the coverage on ESPN that the MLB and NFL get, but certainly more than NASCAR and NHL.

Also, which sport gets the most endorsement deals? MLB, NBA, or NFL players? I see more commercials involving NBA players, but that just might be me.

Every sport has their flaws. NFL has poor player conduct. We're still in the MLB steroid era. NHL had a lockout that crippled the sport. NBA has had brawls and now the situation with the ref. NASCAR was rocked by a cheating scandal.

you didn't misquote anything.....the nba is a few rungs above the nhl....thats how it is outside your little box

theproudestmonkey
07-25-2007, 06:30 PM
somebody come with some FACTS, otherwise im unsubscribing.....dont mind opinions, but if they aren't backed up factually, not even gonna bother

RenegadeLonghorn
07-25-2007, 06:32 PM
you didn't misquote anything.....the nba is a few rungs above the nhl....thats how it is outside your little box

My little box? Wow, I didn't know this was getting personal. I'll step out of this thread since you don't seem to want a friendly debate.

theproudestmonkey
07-25-2007, 06:35 PM
My little box? Wow, I didn't know this was getting personal. I'll step out of this thread since you don't seem to want a friendly debate.

PM comming your way

RenegadeLonghorn
07-25-2007, 07:00 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_professional_sports_league

The top four major leagues each have revenues that can be many times greater than the payrolls of less popular major leagues in North America. In terms of overall league revenue, the NFL, MLB and the NBA (in that order) rank as the three of the four most lucrative sports leagues in the world, the fourth being the Premier League of English soccer. Based on June 2006 exchange rates the NHL ranks as the world's fifth most lucrative league - it was only slightly behind behind the Premier League until 2007 however the English league's new TV deal combined with the British pound's rapid appreciation against the U.S. dollar have created a substantial disparity between the Premiership and the NHL, and may even pull Premiership revenues ahead of the NBA's. Also, the Premier League has only 20 clubs - at roughly US$180 million the Premier League's average annual per-team revenues are expected to pull ahead of MLB in 2007-08 on the strength of its new TV deal, and will only be about $20 million behind the NFL.

Television exposure

All of the top four major leagues have had television contracts with at least one of the original "big three" U.S. broadcast television networks (CBS, NBC, and ABC) since those networks' early years, indicative of the sports' widespread appeal since their inception, continuing today additionally with FOX. Regular season games, as well as important contests such as championship and all-star games are often televised in prime time. In the last generation, fast-growing cable and satellite networks have taken a larger chunk of the major sports' pie. Three of the four major sports now have entire sports networks dedicated just to each of them. NBA TV launched in 1999, with NFL Network and NHL Network following.

Major League Baseball had announced plans for their own network, but then dropped them to attempt to start a national sports network with FOX. Those plans were dropped as well, after MLB and FOX failed to acquire a late season package of NFL games that went to NFL Network.

Comparing the sizes of television contracts, the NFL is by far the largest (reportedly $2.2 billion US for the 2012 season), with the NBA and MLB second and third ($500 million and $479 million respectively). The NHL is in a distant fourth place ($120 million), a disparity those who wish to exclude the NHL from the top four major leagues often point to. Since 1952 it has been broadcast on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's Hockey Night in Canada. The 2006 Stanley Cup Finals attracted 2.63 million viewer on the CBC.

The NHL began airing games on NBC starting in January 2006 and the NHL Network, currently only available in Canada, will soon be available to U.S. cable and satellite subscribers. In addition, the NHL broadcasts games nationally on Versus, generally on Monday and Tuesday nights. Many regular season games are also broadcast on regional sports networks (such as FSN), which can vary on contract worth by region or team.

I rest my case.

theproudestmonkey
07-25-2007, 07:24 PM
those are contracts, not profits

RenegadeLonghorn
07-25-2007, 07:47 PM
those are contracts, not profits

Contracts reap profits. You spend money to make money.