PDA

View Full Version : Report: Yi won't sign with Milwaukee Bucks

hagansp
07-18-2007, 01:54 AM
Report: Yi won't sign with Milwaukee Bucks
July 18, 2007
BEIJING (AP) -- Yi Jianlian (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4284/;_ylt=AuXLCADfVGAz.x61VL_Sfc6LvLYF) has no plans to play for the Milwaukee Bucks (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/mil/;_ylt=AsbD8FlnOz6Zwwtx.x2BCWCLvLYF).
Chen Haitao, owner of the Guangdong Tigers -- Yi's former team -- said the 6-foot-11 power forward will "definitely not" sign with Milwaukee and could be headed back to the Chinese Basketball Association.

"If the Bucks insist, Yi will go back to the CBA," Chen told the Chinese-language Beijing News on Tuesday.
Yi was the sixth player picked in the NBA draft and had his first meeting earlier this month with Bucks general manager Larry Harris and coach Larry Krystkowiak. His agent, Dan Fegan, has pushed for a trade and wants Yi in a city with a large Asian influence -- or at least a larger city.
It won't be Milwaukee, and the main sticking point is not the lack of Chinese-Americans in the city, Chen said.
"And it's not about Yi's commercial interests," Chen said. "We want to find a team that is good for Yi's development. That's the root of the problem."
Chen was unclear why the Bucks were a poor team for his development, but said Milwaukee had too many tall players like Yi. He also said the 2008 Beijing Olympics were a factor.
"The national team and the Olympic Games are now a key factor in considerations," Chen said. "If Yi goes to a team where he can't keep up his level of play, that wouldn't be good for the national team."
The whole situation has left the Bucks bewildered.
"We have seen confusing reports on what was said," Bucks spokesman Dan Smyczek said Tuesday night. "We're looking into getting more information to verify what was reported."
In a poll earlier this month by the Beijing-based China Daily newspaper, 68 percent of 9,000 respondents wanted Yi to join the Bucks.
Former China national team coach Qian Chenghai also supported playing with Milwaukee.
"We don't want to see Yi destroy his reputation in the NBA and return to the Chinese Basketball Association," Qian said last week. "That's horrible."

Report: Yi won't sign with Milwaukee Bucks - NBA - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-bucks-yi&prov=ap&type=lgns)

hagansp
07-18-2007, 01:54 AM
trade him to philly! for rodney carney and cash

Bondsaway
07-18-2007, 02:13 AM
I say he don't sign he can go back to China but won't be allowed to return!
NO NBA for you Yi!

This is why sports is hurting. Players want to play where they want so why have a draft? Last idiot to pull this off? Eli Manning and look what happened to him! San Diego became a monster and New York got a QB with a famous last name!!!

golfermatt91
07-18-2007, 11:51 AM
lol... YI go back to China if you dont want to play in the NBA.

I was more A phillip Rivers fan during the draft exspecially after eli refused to go to san diego.

hagansp
07-18-2007, 01:22 PM
This is why sports is hurting

I agree with what your saying but...sports are not hurting now...they are stronger now then ever.

Bondsaway
07-18-2007, 02:51 PM
sean,

My point is teams like the Pirates and the Bucks stay in the cellar for this kinda of reason! The draft is suppose to help out the bad teams and get them better. But then you have the Yi's, Eli's and Burrell's in sports who flat out right say NO you can't me play for them.

OK fine but if you don't play at least one year with them you don't play at all!! This is how the big money teams get bigger. Small market teams stay that way!

How can any small market team that is in the cellar ask taxpayers to fit the bill on a new stadium or arena when they are no different then a minor league or farm club for big market teams. Football is the only sport which seems to be on level playing fields. Baseball, hockey and basketball are hurting. They don't have sellouts every night but they play different schedules.

I don't think it wrong for a player to ask for a trade, but its up to the clubs and the league to decide that not the player!

hagansp
07-18-2007, 03:44 PM
JD Drew...not Burrell...the phils took burrell the year after when JD Drew refused to sign here.

Im not disagreeing with your point...im just saying i dont think this issue affects sports too much...the bucks knew going into the draft he wasnt going to sign with them...they played hardball...now it looks like it wasnt a good move...similar to players in baseball with Scott Boras as an agent...if you know its going to be a complicated sign...you can't take that risk...i agree he shouldnt have the power to do that but ultimately he chooses if he wants to sign or not...and if it goes long enough the bucks will deal his rights bc they cant lose out on everything...the players have all the leverage

Bondsaway
07-18-2007, 04:20 PM
I just think there should be a clause stating that if they are drafted and refuse to play one season then they forfeit the right to go into the league at all. Yea I knew it was a phillie Drew would be correct sorry there Pat for lumping you in there.

Basically it defeats the draft system. Basketball draft system is screwed up enough as it is!!! Ping pong balls jeesh sometimes luck determines it. Which is kinda crappy if you ask me.

doniceage
07-21-2007, 02:54 AM
Well I think YI going to play in MILWAUKEE

1) he wants to play for the National team in China.

So what better competition to go against than the NBA.

2) Also, he doesn't have a lot of leverage for negotiations and his agent has played this game before. He he has the right to sit out for a year then reenter the draft (CORRECT). Of course if he does that do you think he will go as high or will some teams back off him for a bad attitude thus dropping down the ladder.

3) Also, not that this is a CHINESE player and it has some major implications. I think if you look at Stern and the NBA where are they trying to make the most inroads not only in Endorsements, Leagues, and many other things this puts a black eye on both parties. Of course we shall see if either of the two entities the NBA and the Chinese Basketball association try to push them to sign or not.

p.s. Only time will tell if YI will be true to his demands or give in. Should be interesting for sure.

DON