PDA

View Full Version : Gary Payton #/20............BV?????

paul06901
01-01-2004, 04:48 PM
I just won a 01/02 Fleer Focus Jersey Numbers Gary Payton serial #1/20.........for only $8.50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im not sure of the BV...........its a #1/20......so I know that carries a big premium............plus now that Payton is on the Lakers im sure his cards are more valuable.....

Can anyone help me out with a price on this???

Thanks,
Paul

paul06901
01-01-2004, 04:50 PM
Front Pic

starbury03
01-01-2004, 07:05 PM
It is too rare to price for Beckett.com but in their magazine it is x25 of the high value for a card numbered to 30 so I would guess at least x30 high bv for this card. It would be $22.50 going on that estimate since the base card is worth $.75.

minew_m
01-01-2004, 07:08 PM
That would be my guess too.... around $25

paul06901
01-01-2004, 07:29 PM
well for $8.50 I guess that wasnt too bad of a buy.......If I can find a payton collector, or lakers collector im sure it'll be worth much more being #1/20......

Thanks for the help.
-Paul

paul06901
01-03-2004, 08:40 PM
I looked at a january beckett today...

The jersey # parallel cards arent listed due to scarcity.

The next closest is the gold parallel #/50.

And a card #/20 is more than 5x as rare as the #/100 because of the scarcity.....plus it is serial numbered ONE out of 20 (1/20)

I also have a Rasheed Wallace Silver Anniversary #05/25

It also doesnt list due to scarcity, the b/v's im getting from you guys seem way to low for the payton card, seems to me like it should book around $60-80.....

IDK

Thanks for the help though,
Anyone else with a thought please dont be afraid to share!
Thanks,
Paul

*EDIT:::::

2003-04 Fleer Focus Gold 117 Rasheed Wallace $6.00 $15.00

^^^BECKETT ONLINE^^^

Thats the pricing for the gold version which is #'d out of 50

How can the payton be worth $25, when he is a better player, plus the card is #'d out of only 20, and it is #1 of 20??????????

minew_m
01-03-2004, 08:54 PM
paul06901- That's the wrong set. You said you won a 2001/02 not a 2003/04. In the 2001/02 Set, the numbered to 30 just books for $18.75 in beckett. A card numbered just 10 less would not book for 4x more for sure. The numbered to 50 also books for $15 here also though.

starbury03
01-03-2004, 09:08 PM
And a card #/20 is more than 5x as rare as the #/100 because of the scarcity.....plus it is serial numbered ONE out of 20 (1/20)
Just because it is 5x rarer doesn't mean that it books 5x more.

Being 1 out of anything does not raise a book value, just like a jersey card being multicolored does not raise the bv of it.

It also doesnt list due to scarcity, the b/v's im getting from you guys seem way to low for the payton card, seems to me like it should book around $60-80.....
You must be the only one who thinks that because that card didn't go to high on the bay, or wherever you won it from.

paul06901
01-03-2004, 09:34 PM
I never said it booked at 5x the #/100, I said it is 5x as rare, meaning its rarity of a pull is 5 times as rare as one #/100, which is numbers....not opinion...contrary to any other book values, this card is not valued, therefore there is no set book value...........and having a multi-color g/u or a serial #'d card being #1 DOES carry a PREMIUM......not raise the book value, I said it would be WORTH more, not VALUED at more.......theres a difference

paul06901
01-03-2004, 09:36 PM
Its ok, im happy holding on to it for $8.50 anyways...but thanks for all the replys.....

Starbury, you seem to be getting kind of rude, I dont know why though.....hope this assumption is wrong...

Thanks for the replies.
-Paul

bootydaddy
01-04-2004, 01:50 AM
You must be the only one who thinks that because that card didn't go to high on the bay, or wherever you won it from.

I don't think Starbury is being rude, and the above statement makes perfect sense to me. It also shows how crazy this whole "Ebay steals" stuff is. There are millions of people on Ebay, it is not a secret anymore. If a card sells for $3.00, then it is "worth" in the current marketplace, $3.00. Period. No matter what any price guides say. Ebay is the true price guide in the market today for this reason. If you don't agree, then tell me where you are going to sell the cards you are "stealing" so cleverly on Ebay.

bdrr
01-04-2004, 01:26 PM
i disagree...some people just pass over auctions...great deals can be found, and then resold at much higher prices. I have been buying cards off eBay and reselling them at a profit for years.

i personally find that neither of you completely understand the sportscard marketplace in general- not everyone uses eBay

paul06901
01-04-2004, 02:32 PM
good point, i was going to say the same thing.........I attend a local show where there are a lot of customers who dont use Ebay........For example on ebay at around 8:00pm, theres about 20-30 card auctions ending every SECOND approximately.......for the ones that havent been bid on, people can win autographed jersey cards for $1, now isnt that a good deal?????....consistantly that can be found.........I dont know anyone who wouldnt buy an autographed game-used jersey card for $3-5.......theres a profit right there.......thanks for the reply bddr........and yes......nobody knows the marketplace perfectly, or they wouldnt be on this message board, they'd be living in a mansion to rich to deal with cards.....

Thanks,
Paul

starbury03
01-04-2004, 04:09 PM
I'm sorry if that sounded a bit rude. I just don't think that ebay has the best deals once you add in the S&H, unless you get very lucky. Most of the "steals" here are basically for the low bv of the card thats all. You can just go to a card show for "steals" like that is what I'm trying to say.

bootydaddy
01-04-2004, 04:18 PM
i personally find that neither of you completely understand the sportscard marketplace in general- not everyone uses eBay

Well, that isn't really the point here. I certainly do understand the "sportscard marketplace", and I am active in it on many levels (Ebay, Naxcom, The Pit, local card shows, large regional card shows, shops, dealer friends, etc.), and have been for quite some time. My point is that even if people are not using Ebay directly, it has dramatically changed the buy/sell market for cards in the last few years. Even at shows, prices that are sometimes a bit higher than Ebay, can be brought down by mentioning that the card is available online for much less. Not in every case, certainly, but in most. Ebay is often your best source for cards, at the lowest prices, and many people on this board have mentioned the fact that if you want to see what your card is really "worth", put it on Ebay and let the national market decide. You probably can, if you have the patience, buy some cards cheap on Ebay and sell them for a bit higher at shows, but the reverse holds true as well. I have bought cards at many shows, and then resold them on Ebay for higher prices to move inventory. Some auctions may slip by under the radar, but believe me, if the card is really that desirable, you are not the only one watching it.

starbury03
01-04-2004, 08:09 PM
I agree 100% with what bootydaddy just said. I've hardly ever used ebay and it changes how I buy, sell, and trade my cards a lot.

canuhandledisman
01-04-2004, 08:32 PM
im new to collecting..so basically..yall guys are scaring me.about collecting..cause u make it seem like there really isnt a profit 2 be made....all i wanted 2 do...is have a hobby where i buy things...and in the future they appreciate with value....thats all..i really didnt wnat it to be stocks..but i guess thats where yall are pointin me 2 go

billsfan2006
01-04-2004, 08:33 PM
thats right.. U DONT COLLECT CARDS TO make a profit lol.. if u doi.. then gl... its not as fun if u do... you buy packs/boxes to hopeuflly buy trade bait or get some of your fav players.. then if u pull a very high end card.. hit the bay.. thats MO.. dont meaqn to sound rude

minew_m
01-04-2004, 08:35 PM
billsfan2006 is 100% right.

canuhandledisman
01-04-2004, 08:55 PM
oh okay......so does any of these cards appreciate will value

minew_m
01-04-2004, 08:57 PM
Some rc's may. Just look in baseball last year. Dontrelle Willis came out of no where and his cards skyrocketed. Theres always some rc's that will appreciate in value.