PDA

View Full Version : Trade Rumor: Shaq for Marion

LakersMC
02-02-2008, 04:09 PM
I read on hoopsworld.com that one rumor floating around is Shaq for Shawn Marion & Boris Diaw. While I know hoopsworld floats out millions of false rumors & I know this one would take a lot of guts on each side to pull off, it kind of actually makes sense for each side. What do you think?

I just thought this one was an interesting one to think about.

RenegadeLonghorn
02-02-2008, 04:16 PM
Wow. Never thought I'd see Shaq's name in trade talks. Is he even healthy enough to play? Haven't seen this rumor at ESPN.com.

Shaq 2008 salary = $20,000,000
Marion 2008 salary = $16,440,000
Diaw 2008 salary = $9,000,000

Suns could certainly afford it. Would give them a powerful front line. Marion and Diaw are starters.

m325
02-02-2008, 04:19 PM
i dont think shaq really would want this to happen but this trade would make a lot of sense

LakersMC
02-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Here's the link.
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=7241

m325
02-02-2008, 04:24 PM
i think my celtics would still beat the suns in the championship if this went through but i would be interested to watch the suns play with shaq

kittykatlynn
No way would the Suns ever do this

RenegadeLonghorn
Here's the link.

Thanks Andy. Never been to that site.

m325
*steve nash with shaq not the suns with shaq

nadeau01_johnson48
02-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Shaq has NOTHING left...why would the Suns move two of their better players for him, especially when they have AMARE? This rumor makes absolutely no sense at all.

demonpower55
02-02-2008, 04:26 PM
If Shaq was an expiring contract, maybe. But, this makes no sense to me. All the Suns need to win themselves a championship is a good big man, not an injured, overweight, and unmotivated Superman.

olemissfan20
02-02-2008, 04:29 PM
If Shaq was an expiring contract, maybe. But, this makes no sense to me. All the Suns need to win themselves a championship is a good big man, not an injured, overweight, and unmotivated Superman.

I agree. there is no way shaq could run up and down the court like the suns do.

m325
02-02-2008, 04:31 PM
if the suns slowed things down it could work. shaq is getting 15 points a game when he is always double covered. amare would end up getting more attention then him and for the first time in his career he would not always be double teamed. if by some chance it did go through i do think it would be a very good move for the suns.

LakersMC
02-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure this thing would ever happen. But it's interesting to think about. I am a big big Shawn Marion fan, so believe me...I am not a Suns hater.

This is why this rumor might have some legs to it. GM Steve Kerr is concerned about their low post game in the playoffs (re: Lakers, Spurs). Everyone knows Marion is thinking about opting out of his contract. And Suns mgmt does not like Diaw's contract.

Suns would not be the Suns, but their lineup would be:
- Shaq
- Stoudemire at a more natural 4
- Hill
- Nash
- Bell / Barbosa

nadeau01_johnson48
02-02-2008, 05:03 PM
if the suns slowed things down it could work.

The reason the Suns are good is because they move up and down the court so quickly...why take that away from them for a guy who has nothing left?

2corey0
02-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Any thoughts by Marion to opt out of his contract is for this exact reason. He is tired of his name being brought up in trade talks. Marion is my favorite player, so I don't want to see him go. This might have been a good trade for the Suns about 5 years ago. There is no way this makes sense. Shaq would be left in the dust every time the Suns pushed it.

kittykatlynn
02-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Here's the link.

no offense but this link isnt even reliable....the chances of their so called "rumors" are astronomical...they think of one every week...

whalechaser
02-02-2008, 06:16 PM
This makes as much sense as Warriors signing Chris Webber. . . They're not really gaining a low post game if all Shaq does is sit on the bench in his suit.

key2win
02-03-2008, 05:18 AM
Since I am a Lakers fan (sorry Suns fans), I would love for this trade to happen. Shaq is basically done and the Suns would get worse. That will definately make the Lakers win the Pacific.

swill300
02-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Shaq could always become a defensive player only.............kinda like Manute Bol used to do, just stay in the back court and launch the occasional 3 pointer, lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Seriously though, this trade could really never happen. Shaq is basically finished, maybe if he got down to 300 and he could run even a little, he could not keep up with the run and gun offense. He could always come to NY, we'll take him for certain. We already have enough big contracts and could trade Marbury and Jared Jeffries and not miss either one of them.

Juvenile404
02-03-2008, 12:53 PM
this will never happen. PERIOD. Number One: the heat can't afford to do it, so that trade, straight up is impossible. Number Two: figure out one logical reason why the suns would want to make that trade

mpc2023
02-03-2008, 12:56 PM
it would be a very bad trade for the suns, Shaq isn`t what he was before.

blalock_collector
02-05-2008, 11:37 PM
can I ask why the Suns would do this trade?

Shaq as been terrible for like 2 years now. He is to old and he does is foul out of games

LakersMC
02-06-2008, 12:19 AM
This is being reported on ESPN now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3232862

blalock_collector
02-06-2008, 12:27 AM
it looks like this is about to go down.... Good ...now the Suns become worse, GREAT NEWS FOR US SPURS FANS :)

RenegadeLonghorn
02-06-2008, 12:34 AM
Amazing. This trade could happen any day now. I hope the Suns give up Marion and Diaw.

the_future
02-06-2008, 02:33 AM
:frusty: Unfortunately, I think this trade is going to happen. Most likely this trade will officially go down Thursday, since the Suns have a home game against the New Orleans Hornets tomorrow (Wednesday).

I don't see any positive results that can possibly come from this trade. The Diesel (Shaq) is and running out of gas :sign0020: and I don't think he will be able to "refuel" in Phoenix, since they have a Run "N" Gun high octane offense. Shaq's career is nearly over unlike Shawn Marion's. If Shaq can avoid serious injuries, he might be able to last 2-3 more seasons in the NBA. Marion has at least 5 more seasons left in the league if he continues to stay healthy. In all honesty, if this trade does not improve the chemistry of the Suns, then they might be looking at a rebuilding process in Phoenix after Nash retires. If we lose Marion we are losing a core player and key part to our success, and in return we would receive a declining, aging, and injury-prone player.

the_future
02-06-2008, 02:42 AM
Amazing. This trade could happen any day now. I hope the Suns give up Marion and Diaw.

According to ESPN Sources and Marc Stein (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3232862), the Suns would give up Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks for Shaquille O'Neal.

theonedru
02-06-2008, 02:46 AM
I read on hoopsworld.com that one rumor floating around is Shaq for Shawn Marion & Boris Diaw. While I know hoopsworld floats out millions of false rumors & I know this one would take a lot of guts on each side to pull off, it kind of actually makes sense for each side. What do you think?

I just thought this one was an interesting one to think about.

no way they would give up that much talent for shaq, he is way past his prime, maybe diaw for shaq + even a draft pick (yeah shaq is that bad a risk) but marion and diaw no way

tylermckinzie
02-06-2008, 02:47 AM
First, it appears this may actually happen with Marion and Banks, not Diaw.....

Man, as a Suns fanatic, I don't know how to feel about this one. I guess I'll settle for looking at it this way- I don't feel we are going to win it the way that we are right now. Does that mean we can win it all with this trade? I don't know, but the simple fact is, the championship is our only goal, so I guess if you aren't good enough then you have to roll the dice. This gets Marion's moodiness toward the team out the door, makes it where Shaq plays the other teams C and keeps Amare out of foul trouble, and makes Marcus Banks' contract someone else's problem. Offensively, we don't need him to run up and down the floor with us- he's still a good passer out of the double team and even at his current speed there aren't a lot of guys that can body up and play one on one. This may just be wild enough to work........

tylermckinzie
02-06-2008, 02:50 AM
On top of that, it's a short term deal anyway- Marion only had one year left before he was leaving anyway, so might as well have the two years Shaq has left.....

I don't think he's quite as bad as he's looked this year. He didn't exactly have much of a reason to play hard or even slightly hurt as bad as that team was....

RAC
02-06-2008, 02:51 AM
espn just reported its official pending physicals

Bondsaway
02-06-2008, 03:02 AM
Yep,

Do not discount Shaq just being that guy who creates opening for Amare, Nash, Hill and Diaw. If Shaq can just give minutes to the suns with his presence it should take the heat no pun intended off the real stars. The heat need to get younger and the suns need that bigman in the middle. just can he stay healthy and give them court time is the gamble.

the_future
02-06-2008, 03:12 AM
Down the road, this trade will benefit Miami more. As a Suns fan, it's difficult for me to think this trade will help us right now. I just hope Shaq can bring something beneficial to the team that can help us win a championship this year. The Suns have lacked solid interior defense for a while, so Shaq could really help out the Suns in that area.

key2win
02-06-2008, 03:15 AM
Well it looks like the trade is a done deal. Shaq for Marion and Banks. Thank you Suns and Steve Kerr for making the Lakers's week even better and forfeiting your Pacific crown.

RenegadeLonghorn
02-06-2008, 03:22 AM
Shaq's old and way past his prime. He's injury prone. But he's still Shaq. Four rings. I think the Suns are getting a good deal. Marion was on his way out and Banks is replaceable. Suns want to win now and this is a solution. Question is, can he keep up with their style of offense? How many minutes a game will he average? This will be interesting.

2corey0
02-06-2008, 09:02 AM
This is the worst trade for the Suns that I can possibly think of. Shaq has been sitting out because of a hip problem and now he's going to a team that pushes the ball every time. The Suns are in first place right now and I will bet anyone that they don't even make the playoffs. The Suns are my favorite team and Marion is my favorite player, so I am not happy right now. Congratulations to the Lakers in advance for winning the West.

tylermckinzie
02-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Well, we just took the Spurs approach. This trade may cost us some regular season games, but in the playoffs we just might be better off.

2corey0- You'd better anyone the Suns don't make the playoffs? Heck, you name the terms of that bet man, I'll take that one any day.

P.S. Hip injuries tend to hurt a lot worse when your team has the worst record in the NBA than when they are title contenders.

molly1984
02-06-2008, 09:55 AM
not a fan. liked shaq growing up, but now he is 36 and in my opinion, is not worth as much as marion is right now. i'll really miss marion if this happens, i'll continue to like him in miami.

Bondsaway
02-06-2008, 10:39 AM
This is the worst trade for the Suns that I can possibly think of. The Suns are in first place right now and I will bet anyone that they don't even make the playoffs. The Suns are my favorite team and Marion is my favorite player, so I am not happy right now. Congratulations to the Lakers in advance for winning the West.

Are you kidding me? I'll take that bet and twice on sunday. I think it was time for marion to go. I was tired of his whining. Ladies and Gentlemen thats the nature of sports! You don't wanna be traded go work in an office then, or maybe get a contract with a no trade clause??

The Lakers improved with the Gasol trade, the Suns just countered, nothing more.

angel0430
02-06-2008, 10:46 AM
The Suns are going to make the playofs easily. I'll take that bet too. Let see what happens. Shaq is injured and he is old and slow. But he is a big man. He definitely is a presence when he is playing. Let's see what happens. He is my son's favorite player so I have to give him a chance. Maybe he would play better on another team, be more motivated.

doodaa24
02-06-2008, 11:30 AM
If Shaq comes to play defense and rebounds well, the Suns have a defensive presence that they have been lacking. Amare now moves to power forward and doesn't have to worry about playing Yao or Duncan on defense. If they can keep Shaq on the court this will help there playoff chances a lot.
Chad

kobe080
02-06-2008, 11:55 AM
oh the suns will make the playoffs.
They even made a playoff without Amare a couple yrs ago and they will def make the playoff even without marion.
Im saying that because Shaq will prob dress up in suits for the playoofs and half of the season that's remaining.
Im not sure if Shaq can even pass the physical with the Suns.
D'Antoni has a playing strategy which is run and gun and works perfectly fine with the current roster.
But if shaq comes to the Suns, they have to adopt themselves into a half court playing style. One good positive thing is though, they will surround Shaq with perimeter shooters like Nash and Bell. They will drain 3s when Shaq is in double team.
But again, it is almost impossible to change their playing style mid-season and they've been used to this playing style for 4 years now.
And I cant believe the Suns are doing this because if they're taking in Shaq's contract, why trade away Kurt Thomas? Kurt Thomas was the best defender on Duncan and prob would be better than Shaq in terms of defense. They moved him bc of the salary cap reason and now taking in Shaq's huge contract???
I dont understand why they have to make a move like this.
Maybe Marion for Jermaine O'Neal makes much more sense.

mindcrime1981
02-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Good deal for Phoenix. I bet Shaq steps up & surprises everyone.

gatorboymike
02-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Well, now I can stop hating Miami and hate Phoenix even more. How convenient!

The only problem is that the finals this year will doubtlessly be Boston vs. Phoenix. Hard to decide which of them I hate less. Luckily (I suppose) for me, the team I hate less out of two teams I hate has won both the BCS Championship and the Super Bowl this year.

demonpower55
02-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Well, I don't really like the trade since Shaq has 3 years left on his contract. However, I believe the Suns could succeed with the post-up game and with sharpshooters, the Suns could be even deadlier. Shaq could bring a defensive presence and could be inspirations for Amare and Diaw to work harder

doodaa24
02-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Well, now I can stop hating Miami and hate Phoenix even more. How convenient!

The only problem is that the finals this year will doubtlessly be Boston vs. Phoenix. Hard to decide which of them I hate less. Luckily (I suppose) for me, the team I hate less out of two teams I hate has won both the BCS Championship and the Super Bowl this year.

Why does everyone think Boston will be in the finals. The injuries are already starting and there is still Detroit and LeBron. Both are hard to beat in a 7 game series. Phoenix is not a shoe in either. There is a lot of teams in there way

vikingfan101
02-06-2008, 12:56 PM
I echo Doodah's sentiment, there's no guarantees. I wasn't THAT impressed with Boston with the big 3 all healthy, there great yes but not as good as there played up to be.

My honest guess would be:

Western Conference Championship Game - Lakers vs. Phoenix
Eastern Conference Championship Game - Detroit vs. Boston

2corey0
02-06-2008, 01:06 PM
P.S. Hip injuries tend to hurt a lot worse when your team has the worst record in the NBA than when they are title contenders.

It's called having the heart to play. When I play sports, I don't get paid and I play hurt. It's the love of the game. If he is capable, he should be playing no matter what the team's record is. Shaq is not even close to what he used to be. Marion scored 15+ points a game with no plays ran for him. That was all hustle. The Heat easily got the better deal.

Stephenc44
02-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Worst trade ever....Suns just got rid of the most underrated player in the league....now they have noone to do the dirty work and actually play D and get boards...Amare was never one to fill up the rebound category...and god knows shaq will be bent over dead with the suns pace...Suns just lost 5-8 more games IMO...and the Heat maybe got a little bit better...but where does that leave them?? 30 wins?? Who knows how this deal came about.

2corey0
02-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Marion was usually guarding the best athlete on the floor unless it was a 7 foot center. Now who will do that.

theonedru
02-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Us Suns fans have nothing to worry about becuse in order for the trade to proceed Shaq has to pass a physical, and the doctor would have to be insane or crooked to give shaq a clean bill of health, he's out of shape, injured and he has only played in 75+ games 4 seasons out of 15

RenegadeLonghorn
02-06-2008, 04:26 PM
I believe a healthy Shaq can run with the Suns. But not 30-35 minutes a game. Maybe 20-25. I guess the Suns could run a 4 man offense and Shaq could stay on D all-time...

gladdyontherise
02-06-2008, 06:16 PM
unlike most i believe this was a great trade on both sides, it seemed as if riley and shaq were butting heads and marion wasnt happy with the suns front office, it appeared marion would leave at the end of his contract, and instead of that they got the diesel, maybe shaq can revive his career for alittle longer and get nash and the suns a ring, also this moves stoudamire to a more natural position for him at PF, making there defence a whole lot better,

molly1984
02-06-2008, 08:32 PM
i can see wanting to trade marion, because he could opt out, but the part that is hard to rationalize is the 2 more years at 20 million each for shaq + nothing better being offered from any other team for marion?

molly1984
02-06-2008, 08:34 PM
ugh, just got the email from the suns mailing list... it is official!!

Suns Get Shaq

The Phoenix Suns today acquired four-time NBA Champion Shaquille O'Neal from the Miami Heat in exchange for forward Shawn Marion and guard Marcus Banks, pending completion of physical examinations by both teams.

"We're thrilled to add a player and person of Shaquille's quality to our roster," President of Basketball Operations and General Manager Steve Kerr said. "We believe this addition strengthens our team. We thank Shawn and Marcus for their contributions to our team. Shawn in particular has been a tremendous player for this organization the past eight-and-a-half years and his impact both on and off the court in Phoenix will not be forgotten."

there's even a pic of shaq wearing #32, probably photoshopped?
http://www.nba.com/suns/

oh and shaq merch for pre-order.. wow lol.

http://store.shopsuns.com/categories-oneal.html

d'antoni and kerr are having a live press conference right now on suns.com, if anyone wants to watch

demonpower55
02-06-2008, 09:30 PM
LOL That looks like Amare's body with Shaq's head.

there's even a pic of shaq wearing #32, probably photoshopped?
http://www.nba.com/suns/

oh and shaq merch for pre-order.. wow lol.

http://store.shopsuns.com/categories-oneal.html

RenegadeLonghorn
02-06-2008, 09:32 PM
lmao. They didn't waste any time on the jersey preorders!

tylermckinzie
02-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Everyone who considers this a simple on the court trade is really missing it here. Phoenix sports radio has made it very clear for weeks the rift in the locker room. Nash and Marion haven't seen eye-to-eye, Amare and Shaun haven't seen eye-to-eye, Boris hasn't been seen (whoops, that one slipped). The Suns got rid of a player who didn't want to be there. And before you question this guys heart, name a player that has been more physically abused for 15 years. Four championship rings to go with that pounding, and you could credit Kobe but only Shaq has a ring since they split apart. Sometimes the game goes beyond stats and talent. Sometimes it just meshes better, and although it may take a week to get everything straight, I think in the long run you'll see a team that is sacrificing one or two regular season games for a better shot at a seven game series on the West. And someone else has to may Marcus Banks.

And yes, bowler, I agree with you- this trade actually helps out both sides.

LakersMC
02-07-2008, 12:44 AM
I guess the Suns could run a 4 man offense and Shaq could stay on D all-time...

Isn't this called a "goalie"?

I'm still surprised this deal went down so quickly, and with no hitches. Whoa...

RenegadeLonghorn
02-07-2008, 12:45 AM
Isn't this called a "goalie"?

I'm still surprised this deal went down so quickly, and with no hitches. Whoa...

lol so it is. Shaq's the ideal size.

RenegadeLonghorn
02-08-2008, 01:01 AM
This is an interesting read.

Five things to know about the Shaq deal. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-080207)

Aikman_TheGreat
02-13-2008, 12:09 AM
At first I questioned Shaq's health. But then look at what the Suns medical staff has done with Nash's back, Amare's knee's, and even Grant Hill lol. It wont be the Shaq of old, but it'll be Shaq enough.