PDA

View Full Version : The Brent Barry Sweepstakes

RenegadeLonghorn
02-27-2008, 02:27 AM
Brent Barry was traded from San Antonio to Seattle but bought out of his contract by Seattle. He's now a free agent and teams interested are the Spurs, Rockets, Suns, Mavs, and Celtics. Which team will land him?

molly1984
02-27-2008, 11:11 PM
can he go back to the spurs or would the league think it was suspicious? just asking based on why jerry stackhouse could not be part of the kidd trade (because he publicly stated he was going to go back to dallas)

RenegadeLonghorn
02-28-2008, 12:06 AM
He can. They would have to sign him to a new contract.

tylermckinzie
02-28-2008, 12:12 AM
It's a two horse race- Rick Barry was on Phoenix sports talk here this morning talking about how much he would love to see Brent choose the Suns and how good of a fit it would be for both sides..... but I feel it's all lipservice. He's a Spur. He's probably going to get an extra year on his contract just for his 40 day hiatus. I think the Phoenix thing is simply a smokescreen to avoid the allegations the Spurs circumvented the rules.

I love that the NBA enforces the letter of the law in regards to the Spurs (let's suspend Amare and Boris for leaving the bench), the spirit of the law in terms of the Mavericks (Jerry Stackhouse can't be traded, bought out, and then return when it's obvious that's the plan), and back to the letter of the law in this case if Barry does decide to go back to San Antonio.

Chalk it right up there with trading players who aren't even active for salarycap purposes.... come on David, get it figured out ;-)

RenegadeLonghorn
02-28-2008, 12:35 AM
I love that the NBA enforces the letter of the law in regards to the Spurs (let's suspend Amare and Boris for leaving the bench), the spirit of the law in terms of the Mavericks (Jerry Stackhouse can't be traded, bought out, and then return when it's obvious that's the plan), and back to the letter of the law in this case if Barry does decide to go back to San Antonio.

Chalk it right up there with trading players who aren't even active for salarycap purposes.... come on David, get it figured out ;-)

Amare and Boris left the bench and started to head towards a scuffle with intent....but lets not bring up that old can of worms.

Stackhouse admitted that if traded he would be bought out and return to the Mavs. I don't know if the NBA has a certain rule against that. Do you have a link to where the NBA said no to Stackhouse being traded?

I still don't understand why many think the NBA favors the Spurs. I suppose its the usual talk whenever a team dominates a decade in sports and wins multiple championsips. Why would the NBA favor what many say is a "boring" team? Boring doesn't translate to ratings. NBA wants ratings, wants to make money.

molly1984
02-28-2008, 12:40 AM
i guess in this case barry never made the mistake of saying he was interested in going back to the spurs before the trade happened... so by looking at other teams the league does not see this as breaking the rules?

tylermckinzie
02-28-2008, 12:42 AM
Just trying to get a rise out of ya.... even as a Suns fan, I don't disagree with the suspensions last year....

http://www.bbwforums.net/showthread.php?p=102871

I read that yes, indeed, the NBA said no-no to Stackhouse.....

And no, I don't think the NBA "favors" the Spurs. I do feel the NBA officials officiate differently in the playoffs, and the byproduct is a system that favors the Spurs, hence the winning. I don't blame the Spurs for that at all- they don't change anything they do, they just play the style better than anyone else.

molly1984
02-28-2008, 12:43 AM
i guess the league didn't 'officially' say it, but it was implied or perhaps behind closed doors? this is one article i had read when that trade was happening.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3247183&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

RenegadeLonghorn
02-28-2008, 12:53 AM
Just trying to get a rise out of ya.... even as a Suns fan, I don't disagree with the suspensions last year....

http://www.bbwforums.net/showthread.php?p=102871

I read that yes, indeed, the NBA said no-no to Stackhouse.....

And no, I don't think the NBA "favors" the Spurs. I do feel the NBA officials officiate differently in the playoffs, and the byproduct is a system that favors the Spurs, hence the winning. I don't blame the Spurs for that at all- they don't change anything they do, they just play the style better than anyone else.

Interesting. Thanks for the link. Doesn't look like the NBA has a rule, but they still intervened against Stackhouse. Stackhouse really should have kept his mouth shut though. In Barry's case, he didn't admit he's going back to become a Spur again. But I agree with you...the NBA needs to be consistent in their rules. In the case of Stackhouse, he should have been allowed to return to Dallas since there is no rule preventing him from doing so. We'll play the waiting game and see what happens with Barry. I really hope he comes back because we need his 3 point shooting.

Lots and lots of things go down behind closed doors that we'll never hear of.

tylermckinzie
02-28-2008, 01:00 AM
If we knew what went on behind closed doors, maybe we would know why Isiah Thomas still has a job, Jerry West gave Pau Gasol to the Lakers for 50 cents on the dollar, why someone gave Adonal Foyle $60+ million..... and on and on....

RenegadeLonghorn
02-28-2008, 01:03 AM
If we knew what went on behind closed doors, maybe we would know why Isiah Thomas still has a job, Jerry West gave Pau Gasol to the Lakers for 50 cents on the dollar, why someone gave Adonal Foyle $60+ million..... and on and on....

so true :sign0020:

I just pulled this tidbit off of ESPN Insider Rumor Central

Brent Barry wants to make certain whatever he decides is right for him, his wife, Erin, and their two sons, Quin and Cade.

"There is still no decision," Barry said late Tuesday evening. "I'm really hoping that tomorrow is decision day, because I just told Erin I've never used drugs, but if this goes on much longer, I might be tempted to start. ... I'm just trying to figure out what's out there and go from there." -- San Antonio Express-News (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA022708.01E.spursADV.en.3deada9.html)
On Monday, an NBA source said Barry was poised to join the Suns. That hasn't happened yet, although Phoenix boss Steve Kerr visited with Barry yesterday in San Antonio and remains hopeful.
The Rockets also were in the hunt, but the season-ending injury to Yao Ming takes them out of the loop.
The Spurs are still in the picture and, frankly, Barry is comfortable there and the team has a legitimate chance to repeat. -- The Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/02/27/true_value_think_hardware/?page=full)
Barry whittled his candidate list to San Antonio and Phoenix, leaving them to wait for an answer today.
Each team is offering a veteran's minimum contract that includes the 2008-09 season, but the Spurs are believed to be sweetening the pot with a third year, on top of the emotional pull of teammates he has played with since 2004.
Should Barry pick San Antonio, the Suns could turn their attention to Philadelphia guard Gordan Giricek. ... Giricek has played twice this month and could be bought out by Saturday, which would make him playoff eligible if it happens by Saturday. -- The Arizona Republic (http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0227barry0227.html)
"We had a good meeting and I still feel very confident that we have a good shot to get him," Kerr said late Tuesday night. -- East Valley Tribune (http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/110031)

tylermckinzie
02-29-2008, 01:23 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3270024

Like I said, it was all lip-service to avoid being Stackhouse-d ;-)

theonedru
02-29-2008, 01:43 AM
fpr a guy that averages 9.7 3.3 3.1 why sign him when you can someone better for less, these sub par players get way too much respect, and money

tylermckinzie
02-29-2008, 01:46 AM
It's called role-players, which is why Phoenix wanted him so bad. He'd move the ball well when Nash goes to the bench, hit the open three when kicked out to, and push the ball with the rest of the non-Shaq Suns.

Hence, why the Spurs wanted him back. You can talk numbers all you want, but that's not what they need him for. In the playoffs, you need an experienced mentally strong guy that will go after loose balls, swing the ball to the right person, and not bog-down the offense in key situations.

One or two role players can mean the difference between a title and a second round exit.... everyone has star players....

RenegadeLonghorn
02-29-2008, 01:58 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3270024

Like I said, it was all lip-service to avoid being Stackhouse-d ;-)

Great news for Spurs fans. It wouldn't surprise me if the NBA put in a new rule after this season.

blalock_collector
03-13-2008, 05:51 PM
I'm excited to get Barry back with the Spurs. I've always liked him!

RenegadeLonghorn
03-26-2008, 05:39 PM
Brent Barry has officially signed with the Spurs. Yay!