PDA

View Full Version : MVP Race

RenegadeLonghorn
03-22-2008, 02:12 AM
For an award as subjective as most valuable player, sometimes you need to rely less on statistical analysis and more on visceral feelings.

The numbers say LeBron James (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3704) should be the NBA's MVP. The standard definition of the best player on the best team leads you to Kevin Garnett (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3007). But there are times when the MVP award is captured in a moment. And no one does moments like Kobe Bryant (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3118).

ESPN Article (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=MVP-080321)

What are your opinions on who the MVP might be this year?

Syno
03-22-2008, 06:22 AM
1. Kobe
2. LeBron
3. T-Mac
4. KG
5. Chris Paul

demonpower55
03-22-2008, 08:19 AM
Since Dirk got the MVP last year, I believe that KG would probably win it, with the bst player on the best team argument.

Another comment I have is that I don't know why people are saying Kobe is the MVP. Look at the job that Lebron and CP3 has done; take a lottery team to an instant title contender. Kobe hasn't done that BY HIMSELF (especially with his whining and trade demands 9 months ago) and if it weren't for the arrival of Gasol and growth of Bynum and the bench, the Lakers would be out of the playoff picture.

molly1984
03-22-2008, 06:23 PM
i'll go with kobe, though i think some of the lakers success has to do with bynum becoming a bigger producer, and getting gasol. but he's still their leader.

chris paul probably second, great numbers and makking the hornets a bigger contender.

BoogieDownBerlin
03-22-2008, 07:38 PM
1. kobe
2. lebron
3. cp3

;)

angel0430
03-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Since Dirk got the MVP last year, I believe that KG would probably win it, with the bst player on the best team argument.

Another comment I have is that I don't know why people are saying Kobe is the MVP. Look at the job that Lebron and CP3 has done; take a lottery team to an instant title contender. Kobe hasn't done that BY HIMSELF (especially with his whining and trade demands 9 months ago) and if it weren't for the arrival of Gasol and growth of Bynum and the bench, the Lakers would be out of the playoff picture.

Great post......for me the MVP is either Lebron or KG

the_future
03-23-2008, 02:11 AM
I think LeBron will edge out KG for the MVP award.

However, I think Amare Stoudemire should at least be considered an MVP candidate. He has played like an MVP, since Shawn Marion was traded.

Amare Stoudemire is averaging 28.8 ppg, 9.9 rpg, 2.1 bpg since 2/6/08 (First game without Shawn Marion). The Suns are on a 7 game winning streak after tonight's win against Houston. If the Suns and Amare finish the season strong, I think Amare should be talked about alot more in the MVP race .

RenegadeLonghorn
03-23-2008, 03:54 AM
My top 5.

1. Chris Paul
2. Lebron James
3. Kobe Bryant
4. Steve Nash
5. Kevin Garnett

angel0430
03-24-2008, 11:52 AM
I think LeBron will edge out KG for the MVP award.

However, I think Amare Stoudemire should at least be considered an MVP candidate. He has played like an MVP, since Shawn Marion was traded.

Amare Stoudemire is averaging 28.8 ppg, 9.9 rpg, 2.1 bpg since 2/6/08 (First game without Shawn Marion). The Suns are on a 7 game winning streak after tonight's win against Houston. If the Suns and Amare finish the season strong, I think Amare should be talked about alot more in the MVP race .

Definitely he should be consider for it. He is a great player and the #1 player on his team.

nadeau01_johnson48
03-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Top 5....

1. LeBron
2. Kobe
3. CP3
4. KG
5. AI

trevorp121
03-24-2008, 01:49 PM
My Top 5

1. Kobe Bryant
2. Chris Paul
3. LeBron James
4. Kevin Garnett
5. Tim Duncan

kobe080
03-24-2008, 01:51 PM
To be honest with you, I think this is the year for Kobe or Chris Paul.
Some people might hate me for saying this, but why is Lebron in the MVP race?
He is in fact, the best player in the league, but we've seen way too many times that the MVP award went to the Best player of the Best team in the league.
Using this anology, KG should be the MVP but it is a drawback that Boston is in the East with 13 horrible teams.
Its time for Kobe or Chris Paul.
Both the Lakers and the Hornets were expected to be #7 or 8 seeds in the West.
And both teams are fighting for #1 team in the west.

nadeau01_johnson48
03-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Some people might hate me for saying this, but why is Lebron in the MVP race?
He is in fact, the best player in the league, but we've seen way too many times that the MVP award went to the Best player of the Best team in the league.

Good point....but take LeBron off the Cavs...we're lucky to win 20 games. That alone makes him the MOST VALUABLE PLAYER to his team.

I don't get the voters reasons for picking the best player on the best team. It doesn't make sense.

kobe080
03-24-2008, 03:36 PM
yea I never really understood that, but thats how voters picked the MVP in the past and this will not change for a long long time in my opinion.
Same thing was said to Kobe past two years. "Without kobe, Lakers is a lottery bound team." And he did not win MVP award but Steve Nash did.
Even when Kobe scored 81, he did not win the MVP award but player of the month and week award.
I still agree with you that Cleveland is a lottery bound team without Lebron, but I still think he is the Most talented Player than the Most Valuable Player.
So that being said, I think it will come down to Kobe, Chris Paul and KG.
Personally, I think Kobe and Chris Paul deserve it more than KG just because KG was awarded one before. :)

palantri
03-24-2008, 03:40 PM
Id go with (in order)

Kobe
CP
KG
LeBron

mostly because Kobe has meant the most to his team this year. CP will come in a very close second I think. Garnett would likely warrant more consideration if the Celtics hadnt made so many moves this offseason- Garnett is definately a huge part of the Celts success, but they played pretty well when he was hurt, also

as much as I dont like Kobe, I think he wins in a close vote

the_future
03-24-2008, 04:22 PM
Stoudemire scored 38 points and went 20-20 (a new franchise record) from the free throw line in the Suns win over the Rockets. MVP candidate?

trevorp121
03-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Stoudemire scored 38 points and went 20-20 (a new franchise record) from the free throw line in the Suns win over the Rockets. MVP candidate?

I personally think that without Amare the suns would be out of the playoff picture. I know alot of people would probably disagree with me but it is just my opinion.

tomdawg3
03-25-2008, 03:57 PM
The top 3 for MVP are:
1- Kobe
2- CP3
3- KG

Personally, I don't feel anybody else is even close. Lebron is putting up huge numbers, but the Cavs are not very good. They wouldn't even be in the playoffs if they were in the West. If Lebron wins it this year, then Kobe should have won it a few times by now. Lebron will win it a few times before all is said and done, but this is not the year.

selby56
03-25-2008, 11:23 PM
Heres mine:
1. Lebron
2. Chris Paul
3. KG
4. Kobe
5. Nash

combonation25
03-26-2008, 01:46 AM
ok first of all the people saying lebron shouldnt even be mentioned... i dont mean to attack you but that could be the stupidest post i have ever read on any site about any subject.. actually you say he is the most talented player and the same post say he shouldnt be thought of... alrrrrigghhht.. yeah i agree they are two different things but to say he shouldnt even be mentioned is pretty ridiculous..

but for my opinion i think the mvp should probably be tmac... many players have set personal records but he carried his team, even after yao went down to break TEAM records.. without him, even if they had yao, that wouldnt have been possible! this all depends though on how they do the first round!

the_future
03-26-2008, 03:15 AM
Amare for MVP!