PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like a scam to anyone ? .........Ebay Auction Related

FlyersFan
03-31-2008, 05:47 PM
Ok I am really interested in this card bacuse it is of a Dayton Flyer alumni. But the shipping situation sounded a little fishy and especially when he told another enay member that it would be cheaper to ship it to Australia as apposed to within the states...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300210724368&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

So I posed the following question to the seller:

"Hello, why is shipping inside the U.S. more expensive than shipping to Australia, arent you located in the U.S. ? I am very interested in this card but $6 shipping is a bit steap. Thanks! "

And this is the response I got with the the last few words of this reply in a second seperate answer:

"Yes I am in the US, however since America is getting greedier and greedier, post office prices have skyrocketed inside the US only, and it costs more to ship something inside the US, than to ship it a 10,000 miles across seas...go figure. I don't know why, but my guess is as good as yours. S&H is FREE if you pay through the mail. "

The part that gets me is he says the USPS is so expensive nowadays but is then willing to ship for free if it is paid for through a form sent by mail.

What do you guys think ?

molly1984
03-31-2008, 08:38 PM
it seems weird reading it, but perhaps $4 american converts to be different in Australia? Like maybe the value of our dollar is different in Australia? I don't know... just trying to make some sense of it/give you an idea.

maybe it could be that in the US it is a parcel but mailing to Australia there is no breakdown of what type of mail it is (letter, parcel, etc.), making it cheaper?

PPPanthersGM
03-31-2008, 11:15 PM
Thats one card correct? I just sent out a few of my trades and I sent 3 in a bubble mailer it said it would be there in 3 days and it was only 97 cents now unless D/C is like 5 bucks I'd say he/she is just tring to get a few extra bucks outta you

EDIT: also if you send cash he/she wont have to pay a pay-pal fee or anything It seems legit also people will up their shipping costs and start the card at 99 cents to make it look like a great deal but like I said it looks legit GL if you bid on it

dakota
03-31-2008, 11:20 PM
i ship some to japan and korea and some place else don't remember where but it wasn't that expensive but to insure cost a lot

underdawg
03-31-2008, 11:20 PM
he does have a feedback 3000+, if i want it that badly, i'd just spend the extra $ for it. again, like panther posted, he could be just trying to shed some extra money.

sch1tz0fr3nik
03-31-2008, 11:23 PM
That is really weird. But, He is right about International Shipping sometimes being cheaper than Shipping Inside the US. I know I can ship a bubble mailer with 1 card for $1.13 anywhere in the States. But to Cananda its $.80. I'm not sure about Australia tho, Dont ship there too often.
It just might be worth the $1 and stamps to take a risk on it.

basketball3548
03-31-2008, 11:25 PM
He is correct I sent a package to Aust. for 1.13 and I sent a package to someone in the states same weight 1 card and it cost 1.41

Fordman7795
03-31-2008, 11:27 PM
it is cheaper to send first class bubble mailer to austrailia than it is in the US. id trust this seller

molly1984
04-01-2008, 09:47 AM
That is really weird. But, He is right about International Shipping sometimes being cheaper than Shipping Inside the US. I know I can ship a bubble mailer with 1 card for $1.13 anywhere in the States. But to Cananda its $.80. I'm not sure about Australia tho, Dont ship there too often.
It just might be worth the $1 and stamps to take a risk on it.

He is correct I sent a package to Aust. for 1.13 and I sent a package to someone in the states same weight 1 card and it cost 1.41

this is what i thought, but wasn't positive. I have had the same experience before.... I think maybe internationally they just look at the weight and don't look at what kind of thing it is (like how a bubble envelope is a Parcel in the US and has a different rate than a letter etc.)

FlyersFan
04-01-2008, 03:29 PM
I decided to go ahead and bid on it, thanks for all the input.

angel0430
04-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Good luck with the bidding