PDA

View Full Version : 2007-2008 NBA Coach of the Year

molly1984
04-08-2008, 07:55 PM
Who do you all think should win coach of the year this season? Most of the articles lately have suggested Byron Scott (coach of the Hornets) is the frontrunner.

Who else do you think will be in the running? I think possibly Eddie Jordan of the Wizards. Maybe I am biased from living near DC, but he did a pretty good job motivating the team and still coming out with a playoff berth with all the injuries the Wizards had this year to some of their best players.

I might turn this into a poll later.

Edit: I have added a poll. It is a poll for who you think should win, not who you think will win. So vote based on your opinion ;)

Here's an article on a blog that goes over some of the candidates if you are not sure who you might want to vote for.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Engrave-that-hardware-Who-is-the-NBA-s-Coach-of;_ylt=AmHLsSrD8.agigibIc9J.CKkvLYF?urn=nba,75616

garnett_21
04-08-2008, 08:11 PM
1. Byron Scott, for turning a non-playoff team into a contender for best-in-the-west team with basically the same roster
2. Doc Rivers (Celtics), same as above, only adding 2 superstar players to the team (only LOL)
3. Maurice Cheeks (76ers), for getting them to the playoffs WITH a winning record when they were projected to be one of the worst in the league
4. Phil Jackson, for keeping the Lakers in contention with only Kobe prior to the Gasol trade

palantri
04-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Isaiah Thomas- for not committing murder and/or suicide

that takes some serious commitment- heck, if I was coach of those losers, id have killed someone by now

Ed

molly1984
04-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Maurice Cheeks... he definitely should be in the running. I think a lot of people counted the 76ers out this year.

garnett_21
04-08-2008, 08:24 PM
I was one of them! lol

whalechaser
04-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Byron Scott has a good chance. Maurice Cheeks is a good pick too, but most likely the award won't go to him.

Doc Rivers should not be given the award, simply because a carrot can sit in his chair and yield the same results with the roster he was given.

RenegadeLonghorn
04-09-2008, 12:40 AM
Byron Scott has my vote. People expected New Orleans to contend with a healthy Chris Paul...but #1 in the West?

12thManzAlive
04-09-2008, 12:49 AM

that takes some serious commitment- heck, if I was coach of those losers, id have killed someone by now

Ed

that gets my vote

the_future
04-09-2008, 01:46 AM
Byron Scott deserves to win it, but I think Maurice Cheeks deserves some votes for what he's accomplished this season without Iverson in Philly.

angel0430
04-09-2008, 10:36 AM
1. Byron Scott, for turning a non-playoff team into a contender for best-in-the-west team with basically the same roster
2. Doc Rivers (Celtics), same as above, only adding 2 superstar players to the team (only LOL)
3. Maurice Cheeks (76ers), for getting them to the playoffs WITH a winning record when they were projected to be one of the worst in the league
4. Phil Jackson, for keeping the Lakers in contention with only Kobe prior to the Gasol trade

This were basically my choices also. But I have Maurice Cheeks on the first spot.

molly1984
04-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Another one I didn't think of that I saw in an article... Rick Adelman of the Rockets, I did not really expect them to make the playoffs and then they went on that big streak, while Yao Ming was injured.

Here's the article I was reading about the top candidates
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Engrave-that-hardware-Who-is-the-NBA-s-Coach-of;_ylt=AmHLsSrD8.agigibIc9J.CKkvLYF?urn=nba,75616

demonpower55
04-09-2008, 12:30 PM
These are my top 5, in order:

Byron Scott (I thought that the Hornets would be a tough 6th, 7th seed, but no one expected New Orleans to be on top of the West)

Doc Rivers (I knew that the Celtics were going to be good, but not this good. Rivers coaching and leadership helped Boston survived through injuries and slumps, which has put them as favorites to win it all)

Rick Adelman (If anyone thought that the Rockets would win 22 straight and still be in the title contention when Yao went down, raise your hand. Adelman has stressed teamwork and it has worked for a team that has been hurt with injuries and will be a tough first round opponent)

Nate McMillan (With a bunch of youngsters, McMillan helped this young core play together and unselfishly. Anyone would've quit in McMillan's situation, when your future is down for his entire rookie year, but with inspired play from James Jones, Roy, Aldridge, Jack, this team has proved to be a formidable opponent for years to come.)

Maurice Cheeks (I would've never thought that the Sixers would have a shot at the playoffs, but he has shown trust in Andre Miller and in a blossoming Igoudala. This team is unselfish and the rookies have confidence to play with intensity)

molly1984
04-13-2008, 12:51 AM
okay, I have added a poll with the top candidates... vote! I made it a poll based on your opinion of who should win, not who you think will win.

PPPanthersGM
04-13-2008, 11:17 PM

Ed

lol..

anyway I pick stan.. pretty much a homer pick :D

garnett_21
04-14-2008, 01:44 PM
I voted Doc...although it was tough to choose him or Byron Scott...they both would get my vote! lol

RenegadeLonghorn
04-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Voted last night but I forgot to reply. No one expected New Orleans to reach #1 in the West and to hold it for some time. They likely won't win the West, but #2 ain't bad.

molly1984
04-14-2008, 01:52 PM
I voted Byron too... Maurice Cheeks second :)

BoogieDownBerlin
04-14-2008, 01:54 PM
i voted for cheeks, awesome work in philly!

gladdyontherise
04-14-2008, 02:00 PM
I will say this. anyone who gives Doc Rivers a vote is more or less making it seem like hes the best coach....i could coach that team to the playoffs. he hasnt done anything differently except get 2 Great players which gives him an extremely good Big 3. i gave it mo cheeks. i didnt think the sixers would do anything like this. but byron scott would be my next choice

garnett_21
04-14-2008, 02:24 PM
someone on here said earlier that every thought the Celtics would be good, but this good wasn't expected....they acted as if they had been together for years on day one! and they were, for a time, possibly going to beat the all time record of 72-10! and even though they have 3 superstars, they only won 24 games last year....and yes, getting 2 additional superstars is the main reason for doing so well....but, there is some coaching too! the Suns (sorry Molly!) have/had 3 superstars and have had roughly the same record the past few years...I'm not sure where I was going with this...just had some ceiling tiles fall in grrr

anyway, Doc should be in the top 2

demonpower55
04-14-2008, 02:32 PM
garnett_21: I agree with you, because those who say that Doc Rivers was just laying back and letting the Big 3 do the playing have not been watching too many Celtic games. Doc Rivers has developed Rondo into a confident, unselfish, and hard-working player, who reminds me a lot of Tony Parker. Glen Davis has been a big help as well and this is rare coming from a second-rounder in his rookie year. Powe and Perkins have stepped up and it all goes back to Doc. The Celtics could've just given up on the coach last year, but the young players continued to play last year and that trust and hard work has paid off. Thus, I believe that it's a coin toss between Rivers and Scott.

molly1984
04-14-2008, 02:37 PM
maybe Ainge should be executive of the year... but that's for another poll i guess :)

garnett_21
04-14-2008, 02:38 PM
demonpower: yeah, rondo has turned into a pretty good PG...not at the level of Nash, Paul, Parker or anything yet, but he is improving....and Leon Powe, surprisingly enough, has been a decent contributor too!

I think if anyone aside from Doc or Byron win it, the voting was rigged...lol

garnett_21
04-14-2008, 02:39 PM
molly - it should be Kevin McHale...for being the exec of the Celtics lol