PDA

View Full Version : Getting cards graded..yes, no???

Rayray34
02-09-2004, 12:25 AM
Hi everyone!

First post and I have a question for you all. I haven't collected cards in 7 years and on a whime I decided to buy some UD Honor Roll packs at a retailer last night. My best friends wife bought some Lord of the Rings cards looking for Aragorn's autograph (Viggo Morteson) /sp?/

Anyways, I said what they hey, it's only a few bucks. I bought 4 packs and in the last pack I pulled a LeBron James autograph card....."Signature Series"

It isn't in the Beckett yet, but what I was wondering is if I should get the darn thing graded? I plan on selling it and it's making me wonder if I had it professional graded I might receive a better bid(s) for it.

Anybody have any suggestions as to WHO I should send it to? Is it worth sedning the card away to get it graded? What if it get's damaged or lost?

Any advice or personal opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading this post.

Rayray

bdrr
02-09-2004, 02:13 AM
well first of all, congrats.

with a lebron graph grading really wont help. itll be just as high.
actually, some people dont bid on graded cards, so it might actually hurt it. id say dont

if you decide to however, use Beckett. PSA is going down the tubes

mfweiland
02-10-2004, 01:15 AM
I side with bdrr and say DO NOT GET IT GRADED (bdrr has all the right other advice as well). Major congrats on the pull, I have been buying packs forever and have never got so lucky.

Rolex888
02-12-2004, 06:30 AM
Why are you guys so adverse to grading? But doesn't grading help protect your investment/card in a tamper-proof environment and at the same time, if you were ever going to consider in selling your card - it would help you get the highest value possible?

Even the Beckett monthly is now issuing higher prices for graded cards by PSA and BGS. And I especially don't see how PSA is going down the tubes. I believe BGS has more stringent grading standards, but still....PSA is still regarded as one of the top graders of cards out there and they grade the most.

tracymcgrady
02-20-2004, 02:01 AM
sometimes grading makes cards worth 10X what it is worth