PDA

View Full Version : What so I do with this damaged card?

Rayzorsports
04-14-2009, 10:29 PM
Upper deck emailed me and said they have replacements for it but they can't guarantee it will have a nice patch like mine. I reall wanted to sell this card but I think the damage brings it down some and If I sent it back and got a 1 or 2 color instead of something like this I would be real upset. What should I do? Send it back? Or does someone on here collect him I could sell this too?

https://www.sportscardforum.com/clear.gif

Damage on left side of the card.

TeamChevelle
04-14-2009, 10:51 PM
I would risk the replacement, in my view the damaged card is worth nothing. Request the best patch they have. My 2 cents.

cprince80
04-14-2009, 10:52 PM
Thats to bad to see that on such a nice card. Personally I would send it back and take my chances with UD.

geschrocks33
04-14-2009, 10:53 PM
Take your chances with a replacement.

Rayzorsports
04-14-2009, 10:53 PM
This is a tough call because of the patch. I don't see what they can't send me a new one and let me keep this. What are they gonna do with it? Part of the bolt and everything too!!

Samuwry7
04-14-2009, 10:57 PM
Another option is to request that your replacement have a similar quality patch, regardless of player. You might actually sneak into a more sellable player that way. Give them a list of players you'd take.

zPens87z
04-14-2009, 10:59 PM
I would say send it back, I would rather have a 100% card and a 2 color patch than a 75% card with a 4 color patch.

Just my thoughts...

Rayzorsports
04-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Sounds like I am sending it back. Really appreciate your opinions on this!!!

Samuwry7
04-14-2009, 11:05 PM
By the way, they judge replacements based on book value. Might be useful, so you know you wont get a Chris Drury or some bs back.*

* I was told this by the GM of the UD store

Rayzorsports
04-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Any idea of a BV on this?

gregmal05
04-15-2009, 01:41 AM
Personally I would list it on Ebay first with a BIN/BO similar to what cards with similar patches have sold for. List in the description that there is some surface damage as is common with many thicker cards, and see what you can get for it. A card with a patch like that in mint condition can sometimes sell for about twice what a regular 1 or 2 color would, so even if you get a decent patch back, there is still a chance you lose money. If you list it and do not get any offer to your liking, worst case scenario is what? Then you send it back? Play the market first.

doniceage
04-15-2009, 04:06 AM
As Greg said it wouldn't hurt to see what it might garner on the market.

DO
N

flemingc04
04-15-2009, 01:53 PM
This is a tough call because of the patch. I don't see what they can't send me a new one and let me keep this. What are they gonna do with it? Part of the bolt and everything too!!

The reason why they won't send a new one and let you keep it is because of the serial numbering. There can only be one card that is numbered 080/100. If they replace your card, they will destroy your card and likely hand write the serial number on the new one.

I was also thinking that you should first try and sell it on ebay with a BIN/OBO. If that doesn't work, send it in. If worse comes to worse, a one coloured patch of Lecavalier will hopefully sell better than a damaged Lecavalier with a sweet patch. Like others have suggested, send a list and hopfully they will send something from it.

tanguay/hossa
04-15-2009, 01:56 PM
or you could give it to me :)

devilshockey1967
04-15-2009, 02:11 PM
The reason why they won't send a new one and let you keep it is because of the serial numbering. There can only be one card that is numbered 080/100. If they replace your card, they will destroy your card and likely hand write the serial number on the new one.

I was also thinking that you should first try and sell it on ebay with a BIN/OBO. If that doesn't work, send it in. If worse comes to worse, a one coloured patch of Lecavalier will hopefully sell better than a damaged Lecavalier with a sweet patch. Like others have suggested, send a list and hopfully they will send something from it.

actually more than likely it will not be hand-numbered, UD holds back about 5 percent of the printrun of cards for replacement purposes,

SkyFire47
04-15-2009, 02:25 PM
get the replacement. a damaged card is worthless.

Rayzorsports
04-15-2009, 11:07 PM
It is on ebay for a few days BIN/BO. If it does not sell then I guess I will send it back

leafsfandan
04-16-2009, 02:57 AM
not sure you will get any takers for 100.. should have lieted it best offer. but good luck.. i wouldnt pay 100 for a non damaged card with that patch

13paveldatsyuk13
04-16-2009, 03:00 AM
Send it back, listing that on ebay is just asking for problems, if you don't want it why would somebody else pay for it and like it.

smurray99
04-16-2009, 04:06 PM
By the way, they judge replacements based on book value. Might be useful, so you know you wont get a Chris Drury or some bs back.*

* I was told this by the GM of the UD store

Thats good to know, sometimes I've often wonderered though...

HammerHawks
04-16-2009, 06:00 PM
If it were me, I'd say I'm VERY unhappy with them. I'd ask them to scan the BEST looking cards they still have, if not all of them, and ask to choose the one you want as a replacement. Also, UD has really made a 180 degree turn in replacements lately. I had a card that was miscut and they sent me $40 of cards for free! Also got a redemption for a Billy Smith AU JSY BV $40 and I got a Lehtonen UC AU as a bonus and a Beliveau AU as the replacemnet that I doubt I'll ever move. UD has been pretty good to me. Just my 2 cents though...great patchy goodness too!

Rayzorsports
04-16-2009, 06:05 PM
not sure you will get any takers for 100.. should have lieted it best offer. but good luck.. i wouldnt pay 100 for a non damaged card with that patch

Whoops. I thought it was Best offer!! LOL. Wasted two days with it like that. lol. Fixed

leafsfandan
04-16-2009, 06:09 PM
Whoops. I thought it was Best offer!! LOL. Wasted two days with it like that. lol. Fixed

well good luck.. i guess someone else could always buy it and send it back.

keep us posted