PDA

View Full Version : NHL has reportedly been discussing playoff overtime changes

doniceage
05-06-2009, 03:44 AM
BY: Sarah Miller

After Sunday's three-overtime game between the Detroit Red Wings and Anaheim Ducks, the debate began over whether playoff overtime should continue under normal rules until a goal is scored. Now, there is some weight to the argument.

Bob McKenzie told Montreal's Team 990 radio station that the NHL competition committee was very close in the last year to recommending playoff overtimes change to a four-on-four format after the first extra period.

McKenzie says the change, which was supported by New Jersey Devils veteran Brendan Shanahan, came within one vote of passing.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/postedsports/archive/2009/05/05/nhl-mulling-overtime-changes.aspx

Glenn
05-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Nah, the idea is dumb. Keep Sudden Death Overtime. It's bad enough that ties in regular season are settled by European-style soccer shootouts without mucking with playoff game formats.

redwing40
05-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Leave the dang game alone, Play till you win! Just thinking of the money they make, and the work I do, and the money I make! How many OT's do you want? Give me what they make and I would go all night till I fall down!

maradona
05-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Nah, the idea is dumb. Keep Sudden Death Overtime. It's bad enough that ties in regular season are settled by European-style soccer shootouts without mucking with playoff game formats.
This.

There's nothing like the drama of going several overtimes to find out the winner, it shouldn't be sacrificed because TV bosses want to sell more ads or because those the NHL is trying to attract (namely, Americans who aren't into hockey yet) don't have the attention span to stay with it.

Walter Sobchak
05-06-2009, 06:43 PM
the NHL is trying to attract (namely, Americans who aren't into hockey yet) don't have the attention span to stay with it.

Really?...generalizing much?

Despite the fact that I happen to be one of these attention span lacking Americans...I say keep the rules the same. Nothing like the drama of a 3-overtime game..wow Im surprised I had the attention span to finish typing this message..lol

flemingc04
05-06-2009, 07:07 PM
The NHL better leave the game the way it is. The regular season is already bad enough with the 4 on 4 and shootout. Whether it's the regular season or the playoffs, it should all be consistant and a 100% team effort (not eliminationg one player's position). If they're going to take people off the ice because they want the game to end quickly, why not do a 3 on 3, or a 2 on 2?

In my opinion, hockey is a team sport and there is no reason to eliminate one position to settle a score. The same goes for shootouts - why should 3 players and a goalie settle the difference for the whole team when all of the others worked hard to get the team to the shootout?

Could you imagine game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals at the beginning of double overtime with The Cup being awarded to the first team to score on a 4 on 4? It seems ironic to make it easier for the players to score when they worked through blood sweat and tears for months just to get where they are. If a team is going to make the run for the cup, players must be able to score until a player gets the next goal on a 5 on 5 since that is how the game is played in regular time. If the NHL is going to cut out a player in overtime, why don't they make the game 4 on 4 100% of the time? .....that would only get me started on another rant!:rant:

Is it just me or is a tied game in quadruple overtime not exciting? It builds suspense and has me on the edge of my seat! :thumb:

gregmal05
05-06-2009, 07:12 PM
What is ridiculous is this apparently was only one vote away from happening at one of the recent meetings.

Drifter2000
05-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Why do we need to have things constantly being changed that didn't need to be changed in the first place? This is an example of the NHL continually trying to tweak and change their brand of hockey to make it more accessible to a larger audience.

The problem is that if someone doesn't like hockey, I doubt they're going to start watching it just because playoff overtimes are "shorter." It just seems like sometimes the league are continually tweaking things just for the sake of changing them.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

griff2311
05-07-2009, 03:24 AM
Someone in he NHL offices has to draw the line somewhere. Yes there are reasons to "Americanize" the game, there is a lot of untapped potential in American markets when we talk $$$$$$$$$$. But there is point where you start alienating the fans that have made the league what is currently is and you just can't over look that.

CSSports
05-07-2009, 01:26 PM
I started to disagree with all the changes when they took the names of the Division away and went with the WEAK names like Pacific, East, West.....etc....

Culture and Tradition is what brought me into hockey.....