PDA

View Full Version : This is a hit?

FootballCardFreak
07-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Writing Team Trial 1/5 <br />
<br />
By Kyle Hymel aka FootballCardFreak <br />
<br />
The days are now over when a plain jersey card will fetch you $20 unless it is a big name like Babe Ruth. Nowadays, a plain swatch of...

Glebe
07-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Good article, I wish they stopped mass producing these GU and brought back sick inserts and oncard autos!

FootballCardFreak
07-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks for your feedback!

Good article, I wish they stopped mass producing these GU and brought back sick inserts and oncard autos!

sports collector
07-29-2009, 11:02 PM
Good article

Topps or UD should create a brand where there are no plain jsy cards just patches and autos

Collectors would go crazy

FootballCardFreak
07-30-2009, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Good article

Topps or UD should create a brand where there are no plain jsy cards just patches and autos

Collectors would go crazy

gmoney168
08-06-2009, 10:58 AM
This is a Hit? <br />
<br />
By Kyle Hymel aka FootballCardFreak <br />
<br />
The days are now over when a plain jersey card will fetch you $20 unless it is a big name like Babe Ruth. Nowadays a plain swatch of the...

beishuizen91
08-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Great article man. I agree with you, they should make less gu cards, but keep them in the products though.

travlncard
08-06-2009, 02:05 PM
I think they should tone them down big time... like back in the day around 1997 or so, Upper Deck started a Game Worn Jersey card set and they were 1:2500 packs the Jordan card not autographed was $2500 bucks book value when they first came out... I pulled one when i was 16 years old and sold it to Dave and Adams for $1300 bucks

Now either they need to get back to somethin like that, or watch the demise of this great addition... To pull a "game worn" card is a thrill, it brings you closer to the game... to most people thats why they collect cards nowadays, is because it gives them a chance to experience something that they most likely wouldnt otherwise. but its got to the point now were that excitment is gone, because its no longer just premier players, who wants to pull a johnny common jersey card, that ruins the experience that was suppose to be fun!! and then making them available at every turn also makes the fun of it, less exciting cause now your expecting it...

id almost rather it be where a single box was closer to $20-30 bucks, but wasnt really guarenteed anything... have "hits" at 1:2500 packs thats like 10 cases... at $25 bucks a box, a 12 box case would be $300 bucks, and youd have a 1 in 10 shot at hitting something BIG!! you could even make the autograph cards inserted at that same rate... so one in 10 cases would be either a jersey or auto, and that way they could elimanate the scrubs as well!! atleast that way when you pull somethin its actually gonna be exciting and probably be worth soomethin

im sure it will never happen, but i would like to see atleast one product go this route and atleast test the waters...

swib25
08-11-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm torn on this issue. I love collecting cards, and as a Twins collector, I love collecting all Twins GU cards. Travlncard says he wouldn't want to pull a Johnny common jersey card, and I agree with him to an extent. But I do actually enjoy collecting the lesser known GU cards of my favorite Twins players. I don't consider Corey Koskie a big name player, but one of my favorite cards is a Koskie GU red patch on a piece of an old school powder blue jersey. Actually, there are a lot of Twins players that aren't big names, so if they only did jersey cards of the stars, I wouldn't have much to collect. So is the bane of a small-market-team fan.
The fact that the value of them has decreased is troubling too, but when I really think about it, I'm not in it for the money anyway. I collect baseball cards to be closer to the team I love, and the flood of GU cards actually makes it easier to collect.

gmoney168
08-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Articles: http://www.sportscardforum.com/articles/?p=735
Digg: http://digg.com/football/This_is_a_Hit_Sports_Card_Forum_Articles
Buzz: http://www.propeller.com/story/2009/08/11/this-is-a-hit-sports-card-forum-articles/
Prop: http://buzz.yahoo.com/article/1:04336a8f0df176e64b208827a806c85d:e27626807467b42 9ed0dee6cb818d1c8/This-is-a-Hit?usc=1

Loodle37
08-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Agreed, they should makes diverse set to attract the attention of collections. Cards that actually have individual value.

BruteJJR
08-16-2009, 07:18 PM
i agree i'd say that the majority of the time, you're not gonna get your moneys worth