PDA

View Full Version : Player Collecting Tips

FootballCardFreak
07-30-2009, 01:45 AM
Writing Team Trial 4/5

By Kyle Hymel aka FootballCardFreak

Player collecting is probably the most popular type of collecting in the sports card world simply because there are too many cards to collect. I like to stick to two main players: Drew Brees and Peyton Manning. Anything more would be impossible for me. Here is how I would go about collecting a certain player:

The first and most important step in my opinion is to get the player's rookie card. If the player has a few good rookies, stock up on a few of them. Some good cards to pick up of a player's rookie year are Topps Chrome, Topps Mayo, and Bowman Chrome.

Next, you should try to get a good auto as the centerpiece to your collection. If you have the money, Exquisite is the way to go in my opinion. You can get a really nice numbered patch auto of your player. The cards usually look really nice. Also, try to get an on card auto as opposed to the sticker autos. On card autos won't peel off, are more reliable, and look better as well as hold more value.

After you have gotten the card to be your centerpiece to your collection, go for a few lower-end autos of your player. You don't have to go for the rookie year if you don't want to. Try to get a few more nice looking autos to compliment your centerpiece. After you get some autos, go for a few patch cards. Look for a lot of cool colors or designs on the patches. After you have gotten some autos and patches, get a few lower end game-used cards from different sets.

After you have acquired a bunch of nice cards of all sorts to add to your player collection, go for some 1/1s. If you have the money, go for a 1/1 NFL logo path card or a logo of the player's team. I would stay away from printing plates and 1/1 inserts because they usually do not hold as much value. The perfect patch card especially if a 1/1 would be the start to making your collection top-notch.

Now that you have a bunch of different types of cards, go for the memorabilia. Try to get some cool or oddball items of your player such as signed jerseys and helmets. Just make sure they are authentic. Other cool memorabilia items include bobble heads, game worn cleats, and plaques. My personal favorite memorabilia item is the signed 8x10 photo. These items are very cool especially when framed and do not take up a lot of space. They are usually nice, big action shots of your player while doing what he does best.

After you do this, go after what you like collecting most. You have stocked up some nice rookies, autos, patches, 1/1s, and memorabilia. Now go after whatever you like and what you think will make your player collection the most enjoyable for you. You can trade some of your other cards to collectors in return for some of their cards of the player you collect. This is a great way to find some cards that you could not acquire on eBay or at the card shop.

Player collecting is a good way to get into the hobby without getting in over your head. Just learn about the different products and have fun with your collection!

Glebe
07-30-2009, 03:54 PM
I've been thinking of player collectiing for a while but, never found it as fun as busting boxes because of that chance youd get a major pc hit out of a box..good tips for new collectors though.

gmoney168
08-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Player Collecting Tips

By Kyle Hymel aka FootballCardFreak

Player collecting is probably the most popular type of collecting in the sports card world simply because there are too many cards to collect. I like to stick to two main players: Drew Brees and Peyton Manning. Anything more would be impossible for me. Below is how I would go about collecting a certain player.

The first and most important step in my opinion is to get the player's rookie card. If the player has a few good rookies, stock up on a few of them. Some good cards to pick up of a player's rookie year are Topps Chrome, Topps Mayo and Bowman Chrome.

Next you should try to get a good auto as the centerpiece of your collection. If you have the money Exquisite is the way to go in my opinion. You can get a really nice numbered patch/auto of your player. The cards usually look really nice. Also try to get an on card auto as opposed to the sticker autos. On card autos won't peel off, are more reliable and look better as well as hold more value.

After you have gotten the card to be your centerpiece to your collection, go for a few lower-end autos of your player. You don't have to go for the rookie year if you don't want to. Try to get a few more nice looking autos to compliment your centerpiece. After you get some autos go for a few patch cards. Look for a lot of cool colors or designs on the patches. After you have gotten some autos and patches get a few lower end game-used cards from different sets.

After you have acquired a bunch of nice cards of all sorts to add to your player collection go for some ones of ones. If you have the money, go for a one of one NFL logo path card or a logo of the player's team. I would stay away from printing plates and one of one inserts because they usually do not hold as much value. The perfect patch card, especially if a one of one, would be the start to making your collection top-notch.

Now that you have a bunch of different types of cards go for the memorabilia. Try to get some cool or oddball items of your player such as signed jerseys and helmets. The most important thing is to make sure they are authentic. Other cool memorabilia items include bobble heads, game worn cleats and plaques. My personal favorite memorabilia item is the signed 8x10 photo. These items are very cool especially when framed and do not take up a lot of space. They are usually nice, big action shots of your player while doing what he does best.

After you do all of this you can go after what you like collecting most. You have stocked up some nice rookies, autos, patches, one of ones and memorabilia. Now go after whatever you like and what you think will make your player collection the most enjoyable for you. You can trade some of your other cards to collectors in return for some of their cards of the player you collect. This is a great way to find some cards that you could not acquire on eBay or at the card shop.

Player collecting is a good way to get into the hobby without getting in over your head. Just learn about the different products and have fun with your collection!

gmoney168
08-15-2009, 06:48 PM
Articles: http://www.sportscardforum.com/articles/?p=742
Digg: http://digg.com/football/Player_Collecting_Tips_Sports_Card_Forum_Articles
Prop: http://www.propeller.com/story/2009/08/15/player-collecting-tips-sports-card-forum-articles/
Buzz: http://buzz.yahoo.com/article/1:04336a8f0df176e64b208827a806c85d:1573f7e98773628 0012af1f70876aa8f/Player-Collecting-Tips?usc=1

BruteJJR
08-16-2009, 06:56 PM
ive got a peyton manning jersey card thats not #d. Does that mean they made a ton of those cards or what?
And how can you make sure something is authentic w/out paying a lot for authentication services?