PDA

View Full Version : The Day Tony Parker Got Me Michael Jordan! contest entry

kardkid74
08-17-2009, 09:19 PM
The Day Tony Parker Got Me Michael Jordan!
By J. Mar

Well, for starters, I am an avid San Antonio Spurs collector and big on Tim Duncan. I do however collect other Spurs players. Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, David Robinson, I pick up a few of their cards here and there. My main focus is on Tim Duncan, my favorite players since I watched him play at Wake Forest.

Before Tim Duncan was in the league, like many other kids, Michael Jordan was my favorite player. I started collecting cards because my brother-in-law got me into it. I would tag along to all the card shows, the card shops, everywhere cards were, we went. Now, I tried to get all I could of Michael Jordan. Purchased boxes, packs, as much as my cash flow would allow, which wasn’t much. Always tried to get that one item that many MJ fans dreamed of. A Michael Jordan autograph card.

Up until recently, I just stopped “trying” to hard to get a MJ auto. With my focus on my Tim Duncan collection, and know what buying a MJ auto would cost, just figured I would never get one. I still busted boxes and packs but never did pull something that good. One day while searching ebay, I bid on a Tony Parker Buy-Back auto card. Very nice, but for some reason, once it was in hand, I didn’t like it that much.

Fast forward to a card show that happens about 4-5 times a year. I took my tony parker buy back auto card with me in hopes of selling/trading it for something else. After being at the show for a good while, it was time to leave but I still had the Parker auto with me. The only interest I got from it was from my local hobby shop owner. I was desperate to leave without the parker auto, I ended up trading the card, which by the way was hand numbered to just 21 copies!!, for two packs of 07-08 UD SPX basketball.

I know what your thinking, you did what?? I was not sure what I had just done but it was already done. I picked my packs out the box which I believe was from his shop that already had packs pulled from and headed over to a table where my brother in law and my cousin were busting a box already. Opened pack number one, my hit was a spencer hawes auto. This was turning out to be a bad deal and I would have to live with giving up a pretty nice tony parker buy back auto card. Sulked for about a minute, watched the box break happening at the table and opened the second pack.

Next thing I saw after shuffling through the base cards was a redemption card. As I turned the redemption card right side up to read it, I thought to myself, what if this is a Michael Jordan auto? Not a chance, then I see this:
https://www.sportscardforum.com/images/imported/2008/12/2554.jpg
I had done it, a childhood dream had come true. I wanted to jump, scream, yell, but I just had this smile on my face that probably lasted all week. Not just a Michael Jordan autograph, it was a dual auto with Julius Erving, it could have gotten better than that. I redeemed the cards as soon as I got home. Less than two weeks later, my dream showed up in a brown envelope. I will never forget the day that Tony Parker got me a Michael Jordan autograph card.
https://www.sportscardforum.com/clear.gif

daburghbucs18
08-17-2009, 10:37 PM
Awesome story, nice card!

gmoney168
08-22-2009, 11:10 PM
The Day Tony Parker Got Me Michael Jordan

By Joe Marfil aka kardkid74

Well, for starters, I am an avid San Antonio Spurs collector and big on Tim Duncan. I do however collect other Spurs players such as Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and David Robinson of whom I pick up a few cards here and there. My main focus though is on Tim Duncan one of my favorite players since I watched him play at Wake Forest.

Before Tim Duncan was in the league, like many other kids, Michael Jordan was my favorite player. I started collecting cards because my brother-in-law got me into it. I would tag along to all the card shows, the card shops and everywhere cards were. I tried to get all I could of Michael Jordan. I purchased as many boxes and packs as my cash flow would allow, which wasn’t much. And I always tried to get that one item that many MJ fans dreamed of- a Michael Jordan autograph card.

Up until recently I just stopped “trying” too hard to get a MJ auto. With my focus on my Tim Duncan collection, and know what buying a MJ auto would cost, I just figured I would never get one. I still busted boxes and packs but never did pull something that good. One day while searching eBay I bid on a Tony Parker buyback auto card. It was very nice but, for some reason, once it was in hand I didn’t like it that much.

Fast forward to a card show that happens about four or five times a year. I took my Tony Parker buyback auto card with me in hopes of selling/trading it for something else. After being at the show for a good while it was time to leave but I still had the Parker auto with me. The only interest I got from it was from my local hobby shop owner. I was desperate to leave without the Parker auto and I ended up trading the card that was hand numbered to just 21 copies for two packs of 07-08 UD SPX basketball.

I was not sure what I had just done but it was already over. I picked my packs out of the box that I believe was from his shop and headed over to a table where my brother-in-law and my cousin were busting a box already. I opened pack number one and my hit was a Spencer Hawes auto. This was turning out to be a bad deal and I would have to live with giving up a pretty nice tony parker buyback auto card. I sulked for about a minute, watched the box break happening at the table and opened the second pack.

The next thing I saw after shuffling through the base cards was a redemption card. As I turned the redemption card right side up to read it I thought to myself that this might hopefully be a Michael Jordan auto? But I thought that of course there was no chance until I saw this:

I had done it! A childhood dream had come true. I wanted to jump, scream and yell but I just had this smile on my face that probably lasted all week. It was not just a Michael Jordan autograph but it was also a dual auto with Julius Erving. It couldn’t have gotten better than that. I redeemed the cards as soon as I got home. Less than two weeks later my dream showed up in a brown envelope. I will never forget the day that Tony Parker got me a Michael Jordan autograph card.

gmoney168
08-22-2009, 11:23 PM
Articles: http://www.sportscardforum.com/articles/?p=766
Digg: http://digg.com/basketball/The_Day_Tony_Parker_Got_Me_Michael_Jordan_SCF_Arti cles
Prop: http://www.propeller.com/story/2009/08/22/the-day-tony-parker-got-me-michael-jordan-sports-card-forum-articles/
Buzz: http://buzz.yahoo.com/article/1:04336a8f0df176e64b208827a806c85d:c3d86505611ce14 16f060c80cb3655f4/The-Day-Tony-Parker-Got-Me-Michael-Jordan?usc=1

Glebe
08-22-2009, 11:46 PM
WOW IS ALL I CAN SAY, ud shipped fast!!

kardkid74
08-23-2009, 01:08 AM
yeah, redeemed it on a saturday, and it showed up on the following tuesday, so a little more than a week. which was awesome, thought i'd be waiting for months on it...glad I didnt have too.