PDA

View Full Version : All I Wanted To Do Was Avoid a $2 ATM Fee! - CONTEST ENTRY

TRDouble
08-31-2009, 12:15 AM
“How did I get into collecting?” And let me add to that question, “-as an adult?” Because I have collected cards since I was a youngster back in the 1970's; mostly football, some hockey, and “Superman: The Movie” too! This was back when collecting cards was simple – for football cards, there were Topps for cards of individual players and Fleer for cards that featured action shots of a full team. Right before every football season, my father would take me to a place that we always referred to as, ‘the warehouse;’ a place that existed before someone started chains, and slapping names on them like, ‘Sam’s Club,’ and, ‘BJ’s Warehouse.’ I would spend my entire saved up allowance to buy my own box of Topps Football cards, so I could delight in my own early ‘box break,’ while my two older sisters delighted in the hard, stale gum in which I had no interest. Ah, the good ‘ol days! And then, in 1984, the year I entered high school... I stopped.

Fast forward to 2007. Over the years, I had picked up a pack of cards here and there, just to see, but that was it. On one fateful day in 2007, I ran into a Target to get some money. As I looked at the ATM machine and its’ $2 ATM fee, I thought to myself, “That is ridiculous. I may as well buy something for $2 instead and use my debit card to get cash back.” But what to buy for $2? As I searched around the registers for something I wanted, I walked by the cards area and saw an open box of 2006-07 Parkhurst hockey cards with Bobby Orr on the front - $2.99 a pack. Close enough to $2 for me! As I would never spend that much money on a pack of cards, most of that would have just been going to the bank in ATM fees anyway. So, I purchased my pack of cards, got $20 back in change and happily left the store. When I finally found some extra time, I opened up the pack of cards and to my surprise, all of the cards featured players that I had grown up watching, or remembered well enough just from being a long-time hockey fan! So from now on, whenever I needed money, I found myself at Target, buying at first packs of Parkhurst, and then packs of Upper Deck Series 2. As one that is addicted to collecting things, from comic books and action figures to vinyl records, I could feel a new addiction coming on. But I resisted as best I could; I was only going to buy a pack (or two) of cards when I needed some quick cash. No more!

As I started to study the hobby a bit, I noticed that Target had boxes of cards that were only $19.99 for 12 packs of cards; that’s a pretty good value! Especially compared to anywhere from $60 to over $100 for a so-called ‘hobby’ box with only up to 24 packs of cards per box; sometimes less. I could get that many packs in two boxes from Target for less than half the price of a hobby box! But as I continued my research, I came to realize the differences between the Retail Blaster and the Hobby Box. And while autographs and jersey pieces sounded cool – and was brand new to someone who had stopped collecting cards in 1984 – I was very happy with my ‘base’ cards and maybe even making a complete set of them. Just like the old days. And after all, like they say, you can’t miss what you have never had, right? But, in one single day, that would all change.

On Father’s Day 2007, my wife handed me my last present of the day. Having no idea what it could be, as I had given her no clues as to what to get, ‘the hardest person to buy for,’ I reached into the gift bag, all the way fighting tissue paper that my wife loves to stuff into these gifts bags, and I pull out a hobby box of 2006-07 Parkhurst! Wow! I could not believe that my wife was paying attention to my rambling explanations about the card hobby and the differences between hobby boxes and retail boxes! I could not believe that my wife paid attention to the empty Parkhurst wrappers tossed into the garbage (or left on the dining room table)! And I really could not believe that my wife would spend that much money for a box of hockey cards (to this day, she still has not told me how much she paid for that box of Parkhurst, besides, “a lot!”).

As my oldest daughter and I began to rip open packs of cards – albeit, with great care – I told my daughter to look for autographs right on the cards (“People wrote on the cards? Isn’t that bad?” “Yes, they did, and no, that’s good!”). While we joyously opened up packs of cards – hobby packs of cards – and I pointed out special players that I grew up watching, like Grant Fuhr, Mike Luit and Gilbert Perreault, my daughter opened up a pack, paused, and then reached out to hand me a card. “Here you go, Daddy! Is this a good one?” As I reached out to take the card, a dual Bobby Clarke/Bernie Parent Autographed card graced my outstretched hand. “Yes. Yes, this is a really good one.”

Hook. Line. And Sinker!

https://www.sportscardforum.com/clear.gif

Pheebs888
09-01-2009, 12:02 PM
“How did I get into collecting?” And let me add to that question, “-as an adult?” Because I have collected cards since I was a youngster back in the 1970s, mostly football, some hockey, and “Superman: The Movie” too! This was back when collecting cards was simple – for football cards, there were Topps for cards of individual players and Fleer for cards that featured action shots of a full team. Right before every football season, my father would take me to a place that we always referred to as, ‘the warehouse;’ a place that existed before someone started chains, and slapping names on them like, ‘Sam’s Club,’ and, ‘BJ’s Warehouse.’ I would spend my entire saved up allowance to buy my own box of Topps Football cards, so I could delight in my own early ‘box break,’ while my two older sisters delighted in the hard, stale gum in which I had no interest. Ah, the good ‘old days! And then, in 1984, the year I entered high school... I stopped.

Fast forward to 2007. Over the years, I had picked up a pack of cards here and there, just to see, but that was it. On one fateful day in 2007, I ran into a Target to get some money. As I looked at the ATM machine and its’ $2 ATM fee, I thought to myself, “That is ridiculous. I may as well buy something for $2 instead and use my debit card to get cash back.” But what to buy for $2? As I searched around the registers for something I wanted, I walked by the cards area and saw an open box of 2006-07 Parkhurst hockey cards with Bobby Orr on the front - $2.99 a pack. Close enough to $2 for me! As I would never spend that much money on a pack of cards, most of that would have just been going to the bank in ATM fees anyway. So, I purchased my pack of cards, got $20 back in change and happily left the store. When I finally found some extra time, I opened up the pack of cards and to my surprise; all of the cards featured players that I had grown up watching, or remembered well enough just from being a long-time hockey fan! So from then on, whenever I needed money, I found myself at Target, buying at first packs of Parkhurst, and then packs of Upper Deck Series 2. As one that is addicted to collecting things, from comic books and action figures to vinyl records, I could feel a new addiction coming on. But I resisted as best I could; I was only going to buy a pack (or two) of cards when I needed some quick cash. No more!

As I started to study the hobby a bit, I noticed that Target had boxes of cards that were only $19.99 for 12 packs of cards; that’s a pretty good value! Especially compared to anywhere from $60 to over $100 for a so-called ‘hobby’ box with only up to 24 packs of cards per box sometimes less. I could get that many packs in two boxes from Target for less than half the price of a hobby box! But as I continued my research, I came to realize the differences between the retail blaster and the hobby box. And while autographs and jersey pieces sounded cool – and were brand new to someone who had stopped collecting cards in 1984 – I was very happy with my ‘base’ cards and maybe even making a complete set of them. Just like the old days. And after all, like they say, you can’t miss what you have never had, right? But, in one single day, that would all change.

On Father’s Day 2007, my wife handed me my last present of the day. Having no idea what it could be, as I had given her no clues as to what to get, ‘the hardest person to buy for,’ I reached into the gift bag, all the way fighting tissue paper that my wife loves to stuff into these gifts bags, and I pull out a hobby box of 2006-07 Parkhurst! Wow! I could not believe that my wife was paying attention to my rambling explanations about the card hobby and the differences between hobby boxes and retail boxes! I could not believe that she had paid attention to the empty Parkhurst wrappers tossed into the garbage (or left on the dining room table)! And I really could not believe that she would spend that much money for a box of hockey cards (to this day, she still has not told me how much she paid for that box of Parkhurst, besides, “a lot!”).

As my oldest daughter and I began to rip open packs of cards – albeit, with great care – I told my daughter to look for autographs right on the cards (“People wrote on the cards? Isn’t that bad?” “Yes, they did, and no, that’s good!”). While we joyously opened up packs of cards – hobby packs of cards – and I pointed out special players that I grew up watching, like Grant Fuhr, Mike Liut and Gilbert Perreault, my daughter opened up a pack, paused, and then reached out to hand me a card. “Here you go, Daddy! Is this a good one?” As I reached out to take the card, a dual Bobby Clarke/Bernie Parent Autographed card graced my outstretched hand. “Yes. Yes, this is a really good one.”

Hook. Line. And Sinker!

Pheebs888
09-01-2009, 12:14 PM
article: http://www.sportscardforum.com/articles/?p=788
digg: http://digg.com/hockey/All_I_Wanted_to_Do_Was_Avoid_a_2_ATM_Fee_Sports_Ca rd_For
propeller: http://www.propeller.com/story/2009/09/01/all-i-wanted-to-do-was-avoid-a-2-atm-fee-sports-card-forum-articles/
buzz: http://buzz.yahoo.com/article/1:04336a8f0df176e64b208827a806c85d:7f58f84e980f0ab 72e416570ae9a0aa5/All-I-Wanted-to-Do-Was-Avoid-a-2-ATM-Fee?usc=1