PDA

View Full Version : Jay Feaster's Blog: Trading for Heatley a mistake by San Jose

Pheebs888
09-22-2009, 07:28 PM
By Jay Feaster

While it is still early, Bryan Murray is my front-runner for executive of the year honors this season. Murray took one very sour lemon and parlayed it into two refreshing glasses of lemonade by moving self-centered Dany Heatley to San Jose for solid NHLers Jonathan Cheechoo and Milan Michalek. The trade itself may not go down as one that rocked the sport, but, given the circumstances, Murray clearly pulled a rabbit from his hat and helped his hockey team in the process.

Historically, I have been a Doug Wilson fan. He seemed to understand the importance of chemistry and the need to acquire players who value the crest on the front of their sweater more than the name on the back. Last year’s acquisition of Stanley Cup champion Dan Boyle from the Lightning was such a move. No one is more committed to the “team concept” than Dan. While the Sharks crashed and burned again in the first round last season, I believed they had started to turn a corner.

http://thehockeynews.com/articles/28001-Jay-Feasters-Blog-Trading-for-Heatley-a-mistake-by-San-Jose.html

30ranfordfan
09-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Hogwash.

Heatley is going to tear it up in San Jose. Him and JT on a line together is going to prove to be one of the best two or three lines in all the NHL this year. Wilson got rid of an under achieving / over paid stiff in Cheechoo (I bet he pops 14 goals this year in Ottawa) and a never was in Michalek.

And this nonsense about what a problem Todd McLellan will have is he doesn't treat Heatley right. This is the thing.... McLellan probably won't treat him wrong. Do you have to make him the Captain? No.... for Feaster to suggest that was just an inane attempt to go over the top in his criticism of Heatley. Danny knows that he's been brought in to improve an established team. This is Thornton & Marleau's team. He'll know his role: Hired Gun.

What do you need to do with Heatley? I think it's obvious. Treat him like a 50 goal scorer. That's what you do with star athletes. Stroke their egos, tell them how much you love them. Put their posters on the walls. If someone on the 4th line who's trying his hardest to score 6 goals doesn't like it.... when he knows Heatley (or someone like him) can take 20 games off during the season and still score 40+.... you know what you do? Trade the 4th liner.

I think some people are also seriously underestimating how dangerous a player with that kind of talent can be, when he's got a chip on his shoulder.

doniceage
09-23-2009, 04:13 AM
As with all trades you can only evaluate them after the fact (NOT BEFORE). Also, what if Heater gets them a Cup and then leaves for free agency. Then Choo and Milo get a Cup would not both sides get what they wanted.

Kind immature of Jay to be declaring it a wash before the season even started.

Don