PDA

View Full Version : Card shows

keithmcm
11-19-2004, 03:26 PM
I'm mainly trying to get some information. I go to card shows in my area (Washington, DC I also go to shows in the Baltimore area). In my opinion there aren't many shows around here, and the ones there are, are small, and weak. You see the same dealers all the time, with the same stuff. Many of them are uninterested in cards, only money. Many of the nice guys have quit or been priced out. The only decent shows around are the quarterly (roughly) shows from Tri Star in Chantilly, which in my areas 2nd worst traffic in USA , is a harrowing hour plus drive from home. Also its five bucks to get in. They do have big name auto guests, but my finances don't allow me to pay $90 for Reggie Jackson's autograph. (And frankly I wouldn't pay that even if I hit Mega Millions tonight)
You do find guys selling stuff at prices as low as 1/4 book, although you find that on the net 24 hours a day. It does allow me to actually see what new cards look like, and to see some really nice cards I will never be able to afford, like Goudey's and T-206s. But dealers at mall shows bread and butter is selling stuff at full book plus to whiny rich kids.
At least there are women in the mall, unlike shows in other places. (No insult to the women on the board, but you are a serious minority group in collecting.)
So what I want to know, is the situation this discouraging in other urban areas, and is your perception that it's constantly getting worse? This is partly a rant, and any of you who are DC area dealers, can kick me next time I show up at your table, if you know who I am, which I sincerely hope none of you do.

bdrr
11-19-2004, 03:31 PM
there are better permanent shows in some places arround the country, as well as occasional big ones. there are tristar shows in places like chicago, nyc, and the bay area. here in los angeles there is a permanent biweekly show called frank and sons where a lot of dealers are based. then usually urban areas have real shows at hotels and such. the mall ones are usually the worst.

mfweiland
11-19-2004, 07:48 PM
It is hard to find good shows anymore. Very sad

keithmcm
11-20-2004, 07:50 PM
We have about 3 guys that promote hotel shows. One has been doing it for over twenty years. But they keep getting smaller and smaller and its a 45minute drive through horrible traffic. And he's the best.