Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Kansas City Chiefs
    See resurrect_my_collect's Items on eBay

Top 5 Expo Pickups - Expo Fail?

By no means am I disappointed in the decisions that were made, and, as always, a great day was spent Saturday at the Expo with some good friends. Nevertheless, when considering my haul, I decided that my expo show and tell this time around would be better accomplished as a sarcastic, almost parodied, account of how I ultimately decided to spend my money.

Without further ado, here are my Fall 2014 Toronto Sportscard and Memorabilia Exhibition top 5:

5. 2013-14 Upper Deck Series II base card set (#... something to 500. I forget.)

The credibility of this list already takes a heavy blow, as the number five entry is an otherwise pretty worthless and easily-completed base set of the highest mass-produced variety. Still, I needed one, and was happy to cross it off my want list. Here is a picture of the set inside its pretty makeshift box the dealer who sold it to me concocted. As a bonus, this picture features a hideous gold-colored bed spread that needs to be ... not used as that bed's spread from now on.

4. 2010-11 Dominion Patch Parallel Paul Coffey /25

On its own, there is nothing wrong with this card, and I was happy to add it to my PC set. However, this entry on the top 5 list will be assessed a minor penalty by the referees in that it was not technically acquired at the expo. I had bought it a few weeks ago and had it shipped to a friend in the US for convenience, and he brought it up with him for me. Yay for brutal international shipping rates that create necessary sacrifices/workarounds such as these.

3. 2013-14 Upper Deck Series II Brendan Gallagher YG RC

This was the last YG I needed to finish my 2013-14 set. I thought it would be easy to come by, and I suppose it was, but I did search through some binders where the slots that obviously once contained Gallagher YGs now contained nothing, and a few dealers who were asking ludicrous prices on them before finally finding one at a good price ($12.50, if you must know). Yay for completing sets. Boo for meh YGs like this showing up in the top 3 in top 5 lists. Boourns for a Leaf fan like myself putting up Habs in my top 5. The pain... the pain...

2. 2007-08 SP Authentic Future Watch Auto Tuukka Rask RC /999

I can't bash this bad boy too much. This is probably the only legitimate entry on this list, and the only card I acquired at the expo worth talking about (begging the question, what is going to be #1 on this list). A one-time redemption Future watch auto rookie that is still one of the tougher and more valuable out there. I was glad to add this one at a very fair price. In the spirit of this list also showcasing failure, the purchase was made from the owner of another card website that is not this card website. Lying in bed with the enemy, it's how I roll sometimes.

That's right! I went to a sports card and memorabilia exhibition, and my largest purchase was for a variety of salami! They weren't cheap, but they were both delicious. The meat guy (I can't in good faith call him a butcher) was also very generous with the (free) tasting samples, which made my decision on what to get a well-educated and balanced decision. Yay for tasty, salty, garlic-y meat. However, truly a hobby fail.

I also can't not think of all the patrons walking around who stopped for a few samples of salami (really greasy salami) and then went around handling cards for the rest of the day. Not a logical set-up there, but I'm not complaining.

Thanks for the looks, all!

- Paul

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See pidge27's Items on eBay

Great looking salami! Congrats on the pickups! Too bad there weren't more Leaf cards for you!
    Hidden Content

Looking for 01-02, 02-03 BTP memorabilia

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See nyjets49's Items on eBay

Nothing wrong with that #1 entry at all. I left the show Friday night with more pepperettes than cards, They are delicious :D

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

nice meat buddy!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ShamaleSands's Items on eBay

Haha everytime I see the sausage and pepperette vendor at the Expo I think of the the contrast. Nothing like busting open hundreds of dollars of cards with greased-up hands from spicy peppercorn sausage links :P
    Master List: Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

If you're not doing anything next weekend let me know. I think I'd be interested in coming over and eating your salami.

Couple of cool cards in there though, and don't knock the base sets! I spent $8 today buying a 92-93 Pro Set, and a 91-92 Parkhurst set.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Hahaha funniest post ever

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See 416gibby's Items on eBay

Pepperettes are a real good chew !!!

French Canadian Jerky !!

Guys if you need base sets let me know I need the space

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Maple Leafs
    Twitter: @Andy417 COMC Cards For Sale

Great stuff Paul! Would have loved to have seen that Coffey when you were at the show, unless you grabbed it afterwards. Luckily you saw it though and not me!

Glad to meet up with you again man!