Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See icefields02's Items on eBay

quick question on graded rookie cards from the 80's

hi

i bid on and won a topps 80/81 brian propp rc graded psa 8
    paid next to nothing for it.
    a buddy asked me why? it has a minimal book value according to our uncle beckett.
    my answer of course was because i wanted it..lol.
    then he asked if having it graded would make much difference in value of the card?
    i didnt really know or care because its a card i will hang on to.
    but it got me thinking. if it had a bv of say 5 bucks (not the actual bv) would having it graded by PSA make much difference. i know 8 isnt great, but knowing that it is considered NM/MT by professionals must mean something ???

that said would having say a Cam Neely RC graded PSA 8 make the same difference or more of a difference because of the player.
    your thoughts and thank you in advance.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

It wouldn't really make much of a difference, i wouldn't think. But I understand the appeal. I paid $8 for a PSA 10 Saku Koivu RC. Is it worth that much? Don't think so, but it was a cool little item I could add at a reasonable price. I wouldn't imagine that most RCs from the 80s would benefit from anything less than a PSA 10, or a Beckett 9 or higher.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

It wouldn't really make much of a difference, i wouldn't think. But I understand the appeal. I paid $8 for a PSA 10 Saku Koivu RC. Is it worth that much? Don't think so, but it was a cool little item I could add at a reasonable price. I wouldn't imagine that most RCs from the 80s would benefit from anything less than a PSA 10, or a Beckett 9 or higher.

Agreed, having it graded adds visual appeal and if you decided to collect a set you could create a registry online. Obviously there are other collectors who will have higher graded sets but if you want to do it for you own enjoyment then go for it. I'm collecting a 1959 Parkhurst set with most of the grades in the 7-8 Psa range. I know I'll never crack the top ten registries but that's fine. It's a cool set and I don't need psa 9-10 cards to enjoy them.

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Well if you double the value of a nickel....

It's one thing if it's one of the top stars to come out of the 80s, but a guy like Propp...whoever got it encased paid more for the casing that twenty copies of the card.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

A lot of psa 10's ....10x the value of even average rookies depending on year/set.

Even like andy moog or someone like that..

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See icefields02's Items on eBay

thanx guys
    only paid 99 cents for it, so happy anyways, i collect what i like not what others consider valuable lol

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

Well if you double the value of a nickel....

It's one thing if it's one of the top stars to come out of the 80s, but a guy like Propp...whoever got it encased paid more for the casing that twenty copies of the card.

That brings up an interesting point. I've seen many graded cards that make absolutely no sense. Someone on ebay had am 85-86 OPC Steve Penney with a Beckett grade of 6, or something. I can't wrap my head around that. What's the point?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

If the cost of the grading is more than the card is worth, then it is always NO.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

That brings up an interesting point. I've seen many graded cards that make absolutely no sense. Someone on ebay had am 85-86 OPC Steve Penney with a Beckett grade of 6, or something. I can't wrap my head around that. What's the point?

It's a wacky world. 101bobthenotorious or whatever he calls himself bought a huge graded collection a few months back and when we were going through it there's definitely some head-scratcher cards. And not just the vintage but even some of the recent stuff you see of current players. Why would someone pay money to get a Carey Price Rookie Class card graded? Beats me. I'm sure it's one of those things where the companies themselves do them up as promos, but still that means someone somewhere eventually paid money for it right?

New Project Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    See coolhandluke907's Items on eBay

The money aspect of collecting can be strange at time. Some have graded cards in the past, thinking they would go up in value. Many did this in the early 90's. now these cards stick around and explain why some cards are graded and yet have no real value. Many also get caught into collecting and the money aspect, spend a lot of money and never get it back.

For instance all my habs and trader are in top loader. I buy them in case because I like to use them but many cards are not even worth a toploader. I just do it because it's a clean way to store cards and not damage them. Collector do spend a lot of money and grading is one more option.