Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local Card Shop

SCF Rewards
    Country

Local Card Shop

Went into our local card shop recently and told the owner I was only interested in high end cards...no more cheap cards. Well I went back in about two weeks later and he goes to the back and brings out a box of Donruss Diamond Kings...now mind you I've purchased these cards from him before at about 50.00 I know 20.00 more than I can get them online but I really support keeping as much business local as I can...well anyways, I go back in after telling him I no longer want the lower end cards and he brings out this box of Diamond Kings...he has priced them at 99.00 when he gets to the counter he takes a pen and crosses out the 99.00 and has 79.00 on the box, like I'm supposed to think OH WHAT A GREAT DEAL...now I will only have to spend 80+ dollars on a 37.50 box of cards...I will never purchase from this guy again. I really feel for those who do not have access to the internet or who do not know what a rip off this actually is...:new_shock

SCF Rewards
    Country

Dang what a punk. That reminds me of my local card shop who recently was bought out. Now the prices has skyrocketed, on average of a $2 raise on single packs! They also have a yearly membership fee of $9.99 which will give you discounts up to 20% and only 15% on packs. Pack Price before $4 Price after new owner $6 pack with 15% = $5.10= still expensive! Maybe its just me but I havent gone there ever since. Does any of the shops around you have this membership fee?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See spuds1961's Items on eBay

gail right on the head my local card shop guy does the same thing.they prey on the uneducated buyer to come in and pay these expensive prices for low end product,i,ve tried to support him in the past but he never seems to give me any breaks in prices anymore so lately unless i am only buying a pack or 2 i order my boxes online better prices and more bang for my buck,i used to worry about the card shops going under but they are doing it to themselves.we as collectors know the going rate for a box of cards and what he pays to keep the store running and in my opinion when they start charging more than double what i pay on line it,s time to say bye bye

Country

I think what you need to do is gain a relationship with the people at the card shop.I have 2 shops i go to and they call me when there new stock comes in and I get a break because they know I'll be buying from them again.If the LCS doesn't work with the consumer then they will be out of business in no time...

SCF Rewards
    Country

I've never heard of a membership fee in a bb card shop...lol. Would never pay it if they did have one...thank goodness for the internet

SCF Rewards
    Country

Quote Originally Posted by FlyShyts
    I think what you need to do is gain a relationship with the people at the card shop.I have 2 shops i go to and they call me when there new stock comes in and I get a break because they know I'll be buying from them again.If the LCS doesn't work with the consumer then they will be out of business in no time...

Oh believe me I have a relationship with this owner, I've been buying cards there for 3 years...we are on a first name basis which but he knows I have money to spend on cards...my buying habits are his indicator. He looks at me now as his cash cow...well I've run out of milk...lol

g

Country

Yeah thats pretty bad that he needs to take advantage of people like that. And you did the right thing by stepping away...

SCF Rewards
    See Garmart11's Items on eBay

I've seen more and more shops doing this. I dunno, maybe they are taking alot drops in sales due to Ebay and other online shops.

Still doesn't make the mark ups right.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Ebay and online stores is why I've spent so much at this shop for so long...we have to look out for the local guy...but boy did he try to do a job on me...the sad thing is I'm probably one of his regulars...someone he can depend on...no more...sad really sad

g

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Hey!!!! If ya have Been Doing Business with Him for 3 Yrs I would have called the Guy Out.. Tell Him That Your Business there Must Not Mean Much to Him When He's trying to Stiff Ya... I'm Like Chris (FlyShyts) I Have 1 Card Shop Close & I Do ALOT of Businees there.. If That Guy EVER Tried to Do That to Me I'd definetly Let Him Know about it... I can't believe That 1 Card Shop has a Membership Fee.. LOL I've Never Heard of that... This is Why SOOO Many Cards Shops Don't Stay Open..

THANKS ALOT!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast