Welcome to Sports Card Forum

The Ultimate for Everything Sports and Non-Sports Cards

•  » Are you interested in Sports and Non-Sports Cards
  •  » Looking for a tool to track your collections?
  •  » Need addresses to request for Autographs?
  •  » Want to know about Shows coming to your area?

...then you have come to the right place!

Sports Card Forum can do all of this and much more!!!

Register an account for FREE right now!

Or If you are already a Member, Please log in at the Top/Right of this page!

Thread: Topps Co. for sale?

SCF Rewards
    Country

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

2. Check out the deals at Allgood Collectibles eBay Store

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Bears Chicago Cubs Chicago Bulls
    See jplcom's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders

Would be nice to see in the hands of a group with passion for the hobby

SCF Rewards
    Country

This is bad...really bad.

There aren't really too many options how this plays out and most of them aren't really that good. You either have a new group buying Topps and running them which is kind of what happened before with them. You have Upper Deck buying them (I don't think they have the money to do so). Panini buying them (they have the money to do so). Somebody like Leaf buying/combining with Topps (a real long shot). If Panini buys them this is basically the end of the hobby as it will revert back to a one company monopoly, if Upper Deck buys them it really wouldn't be great, an outsider buyer or somebody like Leaf buying them wouldn't be ideal but it would be much better than the other options. Either way it is basically a 1 in 4 shot at a total disaster happening which isn't good.

Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

This is bad...really bad.

There aren't really too many options how this plays out and most of them aren't really that good. You either have a new group buying Topps and running them which is kind of what happened before with them. You have Upper Deck buying them (I don't think they have the money to do so). Panini buying them (they have the money to do so). Somebody like Leaf buying/combining with Topps (a real long shot). If Panini buys them this is basically the end of the hobby as it will revert back to a one company monopoly, if Upper Deck buys them it really wouldn't be great, an outsider buyer or somebody like Leaf buying them wouldn't be ideal but it would be much better than the other options. Either way it is basically a 1 in 4 shot at a total disaster happening which isn't good.
    Why the disdain for Panini? At least their customer service line doesn't put you on hold for hours. And, then they would have a full license that's not a bad thing.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Last edited by CardsAndPhils; 03-06-2018 at 11:49 PM.

Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Wonder how my shares of Topps are going to perform with a sale LOL.

Don

Customized Shoes for any occasion!
    Hidden Content
    Actions are backed up by words, I wish more of us backed them up!!!
    If you have talent with video editing and would like to join the staff drop me a pm!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See sivers's Items on eBay

The article says it is the candy business that contributes most to earnings. Topps' most valuable trading-card related assets are probably just the brand name and agreements with MLB and the assorted estates.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Why the disdain for Panini? At least their customer service line doesn't put you on hold for hours. And, then they would have a full license that's not a bad thing.
    It isn't like I want them to go away. I'm all for more card companies owning a license but if they buy Topps or Topps goes away it WILL become a Panini monopoly which will destroy the modern hobby. Panini took over basketball and they destroyed that market, then they took over football and then they tanked it. I can just see where this trend is going....

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Bears Chicago Cubs Chicago Bulls
    See jplcom's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders

Competition and consumer choice is always preferred. Companies with exclusive licenses are incentivized to not lose the exclusive and maximize profits. When multiple companies are in the mix companies are incentivized to offer the best product/services to buyers, otherwise sales will go to the competition. I remember complaints 15-20 years ago about too many different product offerings. Doesn't seem like much has changed, aside from the fact that all the product offerings go back to one company.

Leaf is an innovative company without a license, so they come up with interesting ideas to try and carve market share. If they are able to afford the Topps brand and gain re-entry to baseball, that would be fantastic. It also lays the groundwork for producing off-license football cards with familiar Topps designs which can help out a great deal.