Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

My 2018 IP Grapefruit Spring Training succeses...

Embarked on my 3rd consecutive FL Spring Training experience. Luckily I got out before the Noreaster hit this area pretty hard!! I went March 1-10, but always make days for my wife and parents (who are in Clearwater Beach for 6 weeks).

Saturday March 3rd - Twins @ Blue Jays

I figured I would graph the Blue Jays minor league fields for Vlad Jr and Bichette in the a.m. prior to the game. Got up early and headed to the complex which is a few miles northeast of the Blue Jays stadium. The fields were locked at 8:15am, so I figured I'd watch some local girls softball games for the time being. I don't have children yet, but have a sister and when I was younger I had girlfriends that played softball. I quickly remembered that at softball games, they sing loud songs. Yeah, at 8:15 am, I wasn't having that, so I decided after 10 minutes to abort.

So I drive back to Clearwater to hang out. Then I left for the Blue Jays game and talk to some locals who told me the minor leaguers have been starting around 1pm, so it's all good. I saw Twins had nobody traveling with them, so I would just graph the Blue Jays side. I get into the stadium and quickly get to the rightfield corner. There were probably about 25 people there to graph. All of the Blue Jays pitchers were warming up, but nobody I wanted. I then notice on the other side that Paul Molitor was signing. Well I got him about 14 years ago at a card show, but he signed in black pen and it has started to fade, so I would get a new one signed in blue. I waited in line and he signed for just about everyone. After getting him, I went back to the Blue Jays and watched some RP sign. So really no action with the game starting in about 30 minutes. Players start to come out, but nobody stopped. Then I notice Devon White and call him over. I hand him the ball, ask for a sweet spot signature and he goes "why?" At that point I was like crap and froze. So all the fans are looking at me and I just say because I would love your autograph. He says "that's not good enough." Signed in sweet spot and gave it back to me!! Then right before the game, I see Smoak and Granderson signing so I head that way. I couldn't get to Smoak so I went for Granderson. Ask him for sweet spot, says "what's your name" I tell him Matt, he signed the sweet spot, All the best, then on the side of that signs his name. Ugh, would have rather not used the ball. Not a fan of personalization even though I don't sell any of my gets. Then I move back to where I was before and got Anthony Alford. So I waited the whole game with other people and all the starters came out, but nobody signed, so I left in the top of 7th.

ROMLB:
    Paul Molitor
    Devon White
    Curtis Granderson
    Anthony Alford

SCF Rewards
    Country

Tuesday March 6th - Red Sox @ Rays

I interned a year at the local minor league ballpark and my former manager is now the GM of the single A Rays team, so he hooked me up with tickets. The Red Sox lineup was loaded with mostly starters, so I was hoping for a good day. As the gates open I make my way to the Red Sox side who were already practicing. There was only about a few of us and I was able to get Brock Holt to sign. There was an much older gentleman (maybe 70's) who wouldn't stop yelling for guys. I thought crap this guy is going to ruin it for me. I was happy he moved to near the dugout. A few of us called for Bogaerts who kept giving us thumbs up. Well after batting practice and infield, all the players run to the locker room. I thought to myself that maybe I would have a hard time getting them.

So the game is 30 mins away and the players start to slowly make there way over. Luckily for me, the grounds crew was watering the field so most of the players (who were coming from right field) went behind 3rd base. I was able to get Alex Cora as I called him over. I also think I benefited because I was in the first row kinda by myself where as people were all bunched up in the aisle. The players start to warm up and Bogaerts makes he way over to the aisle. I had already gotten him in the minors, but his signature changed and I was hoping to get another one. I made my way over there with a mini helmet and silver sharpie. He started to run with a blue sharpie, saw my helmet and said wait. He then signs my mini in silver. A mother and father with two boys tried to get Bogaerts for the one son, but Bogaerts had just stopped. The mother kinda got pissed, so I told the boy (maybe 10 years old) to stay with me and I'd call people over (I got Blake Swihart over for the boy) The game is about to start and Hanley is still out there. I have an 8x10 that is of me and him laughing at a store signing about him trying to hit a HR at the game I was sitting on the Green Monster. So Hanley is done and goes to the other aisle about a section away, crap! He then starts to make his way over and signs for the boy, then on a baseball for my wife and finally the picture which he laughed at!! I was ecstatic getting this higher profile Red Sox!!!

ROMLB:
    Brock Holt
    Alex Cora
    Hanley Ramirez

Mini Helmet:
    Xander Bogaerts

8x10:
    Hanley Ramirez

SCF Rewards
    Country

March 7th - Twins @ Red Sox

This is "my day" of the spring training where my wife and I get there around 8am to watch the minor leaguers and whatever MLB players on the backfields. Welp it rained in the a.m., so we didn't get down there until 9:30 and I wasn't able to get any players because they were already practicing. So I went to the players entrance waiting for Yaz who was there the day before. Paul Molitor walks by but I had already got him. So I move over to the area where the bus drops the players off. The Twins basically sent their whole teams. The players start to get off the bus and there was only about 5 of us and the only one who stopped was Miguel Sano.

My wife and I get in line for the game. We get into the stadium and I go to the Twins side who were starting BP. Well let me tell you......the new netting is going to obstruct people from getting autographs. Along with some people, I was near the dugout, but it was next to impossible to get pictures or cards signed. Only hope is to throw a baseball about 3 rows, ugh. So most players didn't even acknowledge us and Buxton says no to autographs. So I moved to the Red Sox side. Well I get over there and the netting is down the whole line until the outfield!!!! I then decide to go to the tunnel where the visiting team come in and out of. Players come through and a couple stop and sign, but nobody I was interested in. Joe Mauer says later along with Dozier. Well they come out about 30 minutes before the game I asked Logan Morrison to sign. There was also a younger kid (maybe 14?) who had a book and got Morrison to sign about 20 cards lol. Then Mauer comes out and signed my ball. I ended up meeting people and sitting close to that tunnel, so I was able to get Jake Odorizzi and Brian Dozier who both signed for everyone. My wife and I stayed until about the 8th inning and most of the players were out. As we were leaving I noticed Joe Mauer was signing again outside. I was also ecstatic about the quality today.

ROMLB:
    Miguel Sano
    Logan Morrison
    Joe Mauer
    Jake Odorizzi
    Brian Dozier

SCF Rewards
    Country

Saturday March 10th - Rays @ Phillies

Dropped off my rental car at 10am and had plans to eat breakfast at a great place with my parents and wife. Well this place is always busy, but this day was extra busy..........So I didn't get to the game until 12:10 ugh about an hour after I wanted to. I go down near the 3rd base and it was basically shoulder to shoulder and you couldn't get close. Then they announced everyone has to leave the area around 12:20 unless you have tickets. I tried to be sneaky, but I could not get close for Hoskins, Altherr, Kapler or any of the RP. So I just went to my seat before the game with no signatures. Oh well, I already had a great Spring Training. So as the players leave the game, they were going down the tunnel next to my seat. The only player who stopped was Carlos Santana who side paneled for me. That's the 2nd time in two years, but he signed in sharpie for me last year so at least this was in pen.

ROMLB:
    Carlos Santana

SCF Rewards
    Country

To wrap up, this Spring Training was very successful in my eyes without much of an issue. If I had a binder of cards I would have gotten more, but not really into those unless I do TTM. But I'm also wondering if I starting to be what players hate, white male, not kid, and overweight (not really, but could lose a few lbs) lol. That was a story amongst a few other graphers....

Hope you enjoy the read as much as I enjoyed the chases this year.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Great reading your posts and great st successes!!!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Cubs Chicago Bears Chicago Bulls

Great stuff and successes.
    Collect HOF ROMLB SS balls (Have 35, always looking for more)
    Trying to complete 2016 Topps Heritage Minor League Set (199/215)
    2016 Cubs World Series signed WS ROMLB (8/25)
    2018 Bowman Draft 169/200
    2020 Bowman Draft 121/200