Welcome to Sports Card Forum

The Ultimate for Everything Sports and Non-Sports Cards

•  » Are you interested in Sports and Non-Sports Cards
  •  » Looking for a tool to track your collections?
  •  » Need addresses to request for Autographs?
  •  » Want to know about Shows coming to your area?

...then you have come to the right place!

Sports Card Forum can do all of this and much more!!!

Register an account for FREE right now!

Or If you are already a Member, Please log in at the Top/Right of this page!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See satchmo1927's Items on eBay

Thanks!

Nice '60s list, too. That Uecker card where he's posing left-handed is great. And that '63 Musial really is a classic.

Like you, I might also try the '70s, although I'm not nearly as familiar with '70s cards as I am with '80s cards. I'll have to look through some galleries. Fun research, right?

Quote Originally Posted by CardsAndPhils View Post
    Great list, McRunfast!

Here is my 60s list...

'61 - Yaz
    Why I like it - This is my least favorite set of the 60s (Topps really put out two stinkers in a row, IMO. If I were a kid collecting in the era, I probably would have stopped collecting.) But the RCs were not hideous. And, it's Yaz. That's enough for me.

'61 - Cal McLish
    Why I like it - This might be the only Topps card showing a portrait of the player with his eyes completely shut.

'62 - Gaylord Perry
    Why I like it - Obviously, it's a HOF RC. But, why not Brock? He's obviously the bigger name. Two reasons. First, the picture on Perry's card looks like it was created with paint that had a similar amount of oil in it as the substances Perry later put on baseballs. Plus, Brock is pictured as a Cub, and as a Cardinal fan, that kills any desire I might have had for that card.

'63 - Musial
    Why I like it - This is his last regular issue Topps card, and the photo is that CLASSIC Musial smile that always reminded me of John Wayne.

'64 - Rose
    Why I like it - The off center picture frames the "All-Star Rookie Cup" beautifully. I'm gonna add an "honorable mention" on this set, just because I can... I really like Tony LaRussa's RC. The number of affordable 60s HOF RCs can (probably) be counted on one hand. TLR is one of them.

'65 - Uecker
    Why I like it - I swear, it has nothing to do with him being a Cardinal. But, rather, because this photo is SOOOO Ueck. For those that don't know... Bob was a righty, but he's posing lefty. And, if you ask me, the reason he's grinning so big in the photo is.because he knew that if he have a big cheesy grin, the chances were higher for that photo being picked for his card. Uecker is a National Treasure, and this is probably my favorite set of the decade.

'66 - Jim Palmer
    Why I like it - A rare single player HOF RC from the 60s.

'67 - Claude Raymond
    Why I like it - The second of two "zipper" cards from Claude (the first was '66... Which, ironically, made it past the Topps censors even though they caught and fixed Don Landrum that same year). Classic 60s tomfoolery.

'68 - Ryan/Koosman
    Why I like it - Arguably the best multi player RC ever. I love the burlap borders on this set.

'69 - Mantle
    Why I like it - I'm slowly building this set, so picking this card should have been more difficult. But, it wasn't. This might be the card of the decade. It's the final card of the biggest star of his generation. And I LOVE that it has statistics from his entire HOF career. Very few players got a TRUE "final card" from Topps. This is, IMO, the best of all of them.

I'll likely do the 70s. DEFINITELY the 80s. I may skip the 90s and/or 00s, as I was missing from about '93-'06 and really have a massive hole in my baseball card knowledge from that time.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

2. Kronozio
    Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Great read, thanks for sharing! That Squirrel card is hilarious.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    PC's: Martin Brodeur, Ed Belfour, Jhonas Enroth, Marc-Andre Fleury, Carey Price

SCF Rewards
    Country

Quote Originally Posted by creasecollector View Post
    Great read, thanks for sharing! That Squirrel card is hilarious.
    I recently acquired the squirrel card, actually. Was pleased because (as my screen name implies) we follow the Cards and Phils at my house. My wife and I VIVIDLY remember watching that game.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See satchmo1927's Items on eBay

Here are my picks for The Coolest Topps Card From Every Year: The 1970s. (A couple of weeks ago I posted my 1980s picks.)

1970: Jim Fregosi #540
    Not a whole lot of exciting options to choose from in this set. But the design has grown on me. The thin white border on the inside of the frame and the team name in matching white text are pretty sharp. I love this card of Jim Fregosi striking a classic infielder’s pose (in a schoolyard somewhere?) and looking like he’s about to scoop up that classic pickup truck with his hands.

1970 Topps Fregosi 540.jpg

1971: Jim Fregosi #360
    I know, I know. Thurman Munson, card #5. It’s your favorite. It’s my favorite. And forget the 1970s, it’s probably one of the best baseball cards in history. Period. However, being that Munson’s card wins by a mile, I’m going to choose the card that finishes a distant second. Because when a guy wins by such a large margin, second place is sort of like first place of all the rest. And there were some other good-looking cards in the 1971 set. My choice is another horizontal card, and oddly enough, it’s Jim Fregosi again. The card is framed beautifully, and you see Fregosi in a fierce follow-through, milliseconds after he’s bludgeoned the ball for what looks like a screaming line-drive. That’s baseball. (Great extension, Jim!)

1971 Jim Fregosi 360.jpg

1972: Juan Marichal In Action #568
    For a set with such loud and colorful marquis-style borders, the subject matter sure is quiet and standard. Choose any dozen cards from the set, and here’s what you’re likely to see: headshot, headshot, batting pose, headshot, fielding pose, batting pose, headshot, pitching pose, batting pose, headshot, fielding pose, headshot. In fact, the player images are so plain that the few cards I eventually narrowed my choice down to were all from the “In Action” subset. On card #568, Marichal has been forever captured at a pivotal moment in his trademark wind-up. Great photo selection and framing there.

1972 Topps Marichal IA 568.jpg

1973: Sandy Alomar #123
    It’s possible some fine folks at the Topps Chewing Gum Company grew a little tired of all the posed shots on their 1972 baseball cards, because the 1973 set is full of action. This was the year that gave me the most trouble in choosing one card for the list. You’ve got horizontal cards of players turning double plays, base runners sliding in clouds of dirt and dust, Pat Corrales getting run over at the plate (but holding onto the ball!), and Vida Blue about to zing a fastball right at you. But I chose Sandy Alomar, and here’s why: The battle between pitcher and batter is one of the most unique and alluring things in all sports to me. And it’s great when a contestant exudes confidence the way Alomar is doing here. Look at how he’s hitching up his pant leg with one hand while he twirls the bat toward the pitcher with the other. On that particular day, once his bat came around and he grabbed it with the other hand and got into his batting stance, Alomar was giving himself the best chance to drill that next pitch somewhere.

1973 Topps Sandy Alomar 123.jpg

1974: John Matlack #153
    Not sure what happened at the T.C.G. Co., but 1974 backtracks toward the “plain and boring” end of the spectrum. I do like this John Matlack card, however, for the great framing and the action that’s captured. Tom Seaver has a similar card in this set, but the Matlack card is better framed and better centered. And check out the packed house in the background!

1974 Topps John Matlack 153.jpg

1975: Nolan Ryan ’74 Highlights #5
    Back to colorful borders! I like this highlight card for two reasons: (1) 300 strikeouts for three consecutive seasons? Holy cow. (2) The camera angle makes Nolan Ryan look 100 feet tall. There’s nothing behind him but blue sky, because trees and houses simply don’t go that high. Just what an already intimidated batter needs.

1975 Topps Nolan Ryan HL 5.jpg

1976: Johnny Bench NL All-Star #300
    One of my favorite sets of the ‘70s. Lots of great cards to choose from. Graig Nettles looking like Clint Eastwood, Dave Parker following through, Phil Garner posing with equipment strewn across the field behind him, Kurt Bevacqua’s giant bubble gum bubble. But nothing beats the Johhny Bench card. It looks like he might have just gunned down a base runner trying to steal second, and now he’s staring the poor guy down (as he walks dejectedly back to his dugout), surrounded by the dust that he himself kicked up during the throw. The glare says, Don’t you ever try that again. You're looking at a gunslinger on this card.

1976 Topps Bench 300.jpg

1977: A.L. Championship #276
    I almost went with Rollie Fingers #523, just for the handlebar mustache and Padres cap. But this A.L. Championship card resembles the back page of the sports section, even down to the headline: Chambliss’ Dramatic Homer Decides It. And there’s the scene right in front of you. Chris Chambliss is finishing a hero’s follow-through, watching the baseball soar into the night sky, soon to clear the outfield fence.

1977 Topps AL Champ Chambliss 276.jpg

1978: Robin Yount #173
    Most “best of” lists will slot Reggie Jackson’s card #200 into this position for 1978. And I really like it, too. In fact, at one time I had the refrigerator magnet version of that card on my refrigerator. But I’m choosing Robin Yount here. If you were (or are) a kid playing Little League ball, and someone asked you to pose for a baseball card, Robin Yount here shows you the way to do it. It’s just a great-looking card on a simple, sharp design.

1978 Topps Yount 173.jpg

1979: Rich Gossage #225
    I had a tough time choosing a card from this set, too. Tom Seaver is about to wheel one toward home plate, Andy Messersmith just did wheel one right at you, Kurt Bevacqua is posing with a bat and glove, Larry Parrish is showing you the greatness of the Expos’ powder blue uniforms and tri-color helmet (and a pretty good beard, too). But I chose Rich Gossage. Another unique delivery is captured here, but unlike Marichal’s 1972 card, this one captures Gossage toward the end of his motion. It’s full of arms and legs moving left, right, up, down, and off balance. If it were a cartoon, you’d probably be hearing wacky music and the sound of pots and pans clanking around. But the guy probably just hurled one right at the catcher’s target -- and close to 100 miles per hour, too. Figure that one out.

1979 Topps Gossage 225.jpg

Last edited by Thick McRunfast; 09-01-2018 at 10:50 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12