Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Francisco 49ers
    See a1_euro_parts's Items on eBay

FAKE RICE ROOKIE CARD RECEIVED - Beware this ebay seller *pics*

Avid Jerry Rice collector here.

Purchased what I thought was a mint, genuine 1986 topps rookie.

Ebay seller: believe_in_miracles_777, recently changed their handle too
    Item number: 273369010591

User ID Effective Date End Date
    believe_in_miracles_777 Jun-30-18 Present
    d******************2 Mar-12-12 Jun-30-18

Here's the 2 auction pictures:

auction image 1.jpgauction image 2.jpg

What I received is on the right. A genuine Rice rookie is on the left, what I received is on the right. Not even close. Looks copied with a different finish, colors, material, everything about it is 100% blatantly fake. It feels like plastic. I initiated a return in which they defended saying they didn't pull it right from a pack so they can't guarantee authenticity. They provided a shipping label and I'll get my refund, but I'm concerned they will just resell it. I mean this thing looked pristine in the pics!! I honestly thought I'd submit it for a 9 or even 10, it looked THAT good.

20180727_160715.jpg20180727_160723.jpg20180727_160736.jpg20180727_160747.jpg 20180727_160820.jpg

Truly disgusting to me. Spread the word and report the buyer's other auctions. They have some pretty MINT rookies and other random cards.
    Last edited by patriotsguy; 08-27-2018 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Removed personal information

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Sad to see someone with no negative selling a fake if they know about it. Glad to hear you got your funds back.

Don

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Baltimore Orioles Philadelphia Phillies

Agree with the above crazy

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Francisco 49ers

What bothers me the most was the price point - at only $25 it's as if the seller knew something was up with the card. If anyone else had what appeared to be a gem mint Rice even in raw form would go for over $80.

There's always a chance the seller genuinely didn't know, but my gut is that they pepper in items like this among other genuines and potential fakes. I am really torn with leaving their first negative feedback but IMO it's warranted and people should know.

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Member is PayPal Verified

What did the texture feel like on the back if the card? I'm guessing not 1980s Topps cardboard stock yeah?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Francisco 49ers

What did the texture feel like on the back if the card? I'm guessing not 1980s Topps cardboard stock yeah?

Not even close. Felt super smooth almost like plastic.

SCF Rewards
    Country

so how could they make it?

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

so how could they make it?

It's not especially hard. Here's a blog post I wrote up on recreating a 1989 Topps card - http://blog.jplarson.com/2016/06/23/...rd-1989-topps/. An average scanner to capture the image, using photoshop or some other photo editing software to clean up imperfections and color, then use a decent quality printer with thick card stock or send it to a less than reputable local printer and presto, faked cards that look good on ebay but are clearly fake once in hand.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Francisco 49ers

If you look at the seller's feedback, some of the higher price raw cards (Michael Jordan rookie for $100) has feedback comments "removed by eBay" which I strongly assume has to be the same issue - fake cards. In the item specifics section there is a line as follows:

Original/Reprint: Unknown

That's how they get away with it. They knowingly sell reprints and use this as a cover their butt policy, which is how eBay willingly adjusts negative feedback received because the seller will say they stated it was "Unknown" even though they damn well do.

So lesson learned: always see if there the seller includes the "Original/Reprint" line in the specifics section.

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

So lesson learned: always see if there the seller includes the "Original/Reprint" line in the specifics section.

It's still super s****y because they are fine with taking advantage of folks less educated on the topic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast