Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

The Cup, RPAs, Photoshoot? Not? What do you think?

So I pay pretty close attention to checklists every year, for a small group of players. On the 2017-18 season... one of those players was the first Australian to win a Stanley Cup: Nathan Walker.

Now, my interest has nothing to do with his passport, or his championship pedigree. It's based totally around the two games he played in between games with the Caps last year. He was waived, claimed by the Oilers... played two games... then waived again, reclaimed by the Caps.

His two games in Edmonton makes me want to own a RC of his, an autograph, and a game used piece (or whatever it is) if possible. I'd take a card of him shown as an Oiler, but I doubt that gets made.

Anyway - Until The Cup came out, Nathan Walker had NO game used cards in any upper deck set. He has the standard Rooke / Auto / Patch /249 in The Cup.

This has me wondering though. I know that most Cup Rookie Cards use materials from a rookie photo shoot. There are a few exceptions to that. Most rookies participate in some kind of photoshoot, so UD has easy access to this memorabilia. They get to use those jerseys to make the cards looks nicer (not looking to debate the merits of its use).

If Nathan Walker had participated in a photoshoot, and Upper Deck had multiple event worn jerseys for him, would they not have included him in other sets though?? He did not get a full slate of releases, but he's included in other sets that used Rookie Event Used materials (UD, SPGU, SPA).

It seems strange to me, that a player would get his first GU card on a Cup card like this. It means one of the following has to be true:

1. Upper Deck had an event worn jersey for him, they just didn't use it earlier
    2. Upper Deck acquired a jersey from him in time to manufacturer these cards
    3. The jersey used to make these cards was never worn by Nathan Walker..... game, event, whatever

If the answer is #2, that could mean it's an actual gamer, or maybe it's from some other event.

I would bet that #2 is the correct answer, but I don't know.

Anyone have any insight? Maybe you've got this card in hand and can tell me if it says "event used" or "game used" on the back? Anyone know of other players in past years where the same thing happened: No game used cards until their Cup RC ??

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Not quite to the same full extent, but yeah it has happened in the past where guys who haven't had memorabilia in early releases do end up getting stuff like that for The Cup.

I would hazard a guess that it is still "photo shoot" / "event" stuff being used but with his fluctuating status throughout the season they may have been reticent to release anything because we all know how collectors can jump on them over the details. He may have been a largely under-the-radar guy that they eventually decided to send out a rep with a jersey to throw on pre-game, and away they went.

Also, per this image taken via eBay, it states only "player worn."

Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yeah, player worn (so it's definitely not a gamer, lol)

You know for a fact they do that? Send a rep out, and get something to be "event worn", mid-season?

If that was the case, it would make 100% sense (to me) what this is.

Not quite to the same full extent, but yeah it has happened in the past where guys who haven't had memorabilia in early releases do end up getting stuff like that for The Cup.

I would hazard a guess that it is still "photo shoot" / "event" stuff being used but with his fluctuating status throughout the season they may have been reticent to release anything because we all know how collectors can jump on them over the details. He may have been a largely under-the-radar guy that they eventually decided to send out a rep with a jersey to throw on pre-game, and away they went.

Also, per this image taken via eBay, it states only "player worn."

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Yep it’s not regularly done but some guys they will do that for if they need to get stuff for a player for the late season releases. Team might not have many rookies, or a guy may take off a little. I would hazard a guess they had to do something like that for Alex Tuch last year—his early season memorabilia (Artifacts primarily) was Minnesota but by mid season they had Vegas colours and images going. Nothing like adjusting on the fly!

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

I had no idea they would do that. Makes sense though... and that answers my question about Walker.

He's certainly not a guy that would have been at the top of their list prior to the season starting... so that he had no "event" jersey - makes total sense.

It just doesn't make much sense that they would have one, and wait until The Cup to use it. Getting it mid / late season: That makes total sense.

Yep it’s not regularly done but some guys they will do that for if they need to get stuff for a player for the late season releases. Team might not have many rookies, or a guy may take off a little. I would hazard a guess they had to do something like that for Alex Tuch last year—his early season memorabilia (Artifacts primarily) was Minnesota but by mid season they had Vegas colours and images going. Nothing like adjusting on the fly!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kearl_Rob's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

I wonder why the COA's seem to change every few years. Seems.... dubious