Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

ESPN: Senators players apologize for criticizing assistant coach in Uber ride recording

Seven Ottawa Senators players issued an apology on Monday night after their conversation in an Uber ride -- criticizing the team's poor play and an assistant coach -- was recorded and published online.

The five-minute recording, a grainy black-and-white video taken from the car's dashboard, features players ripping assistant coach Martin Raymond, who is in charge of the penalty kill.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2...ride-recording

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See https://www.ebay.com/usr/nine_pockets's Items on eBay Instagram:

Has the Uber driver apologized for recording and sharing the video without the players' consent?
    My trading card blog: Hidden Content

My merch store: Hidden Content

My custom card store on eBay: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

Arizona is a 1-way consent state

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See https://www.ebay.com/usr/nine_pockets's Items on eBay Instagram:

Wow. I didn't know that. But after some quick research, I see that 38 of the 50 states are one-party consent. Sheesh. You've got to be so careful these days.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    See 529mi's Items on eBay

actually, it's early, but they are playing above my expectations.( Not an Sens fan)

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

The 1 way consent thing confuses me.

As I understand it: If you & I are having a conversation - either one of us could record it, without telling the other. Any party in the conversation can record it.

If I am sitting on a bench, and you & your wife are having a conversation in front of me - While you (clearly) realize the conversation is not private, I don't understand how I am "party" to the conversation, thus one-way consent applying, if I chose to record it.

So extend my comment about the bench to being the driver of an Uber, Cab, Limo, whatever. If the passengers are having a conversation - does the driver's mere presence make him party to it? The fact that he spoke to 1 or more of the passengers at some point - does that make him party to it?

I guess I should actually watch the video - maybe the driver was more involved in the conversation than I realized.... but if 7 guys are trash talking their coach, the driver interjects with a question ("What team do you play for?", "Is this where you want to be dropped off?", etc, etc), I don't understand how that makes him part of the conversation - and the one-party consent law kicking in.

Having said that: I think it's completely reasonable for a driver to record what's happening in their car, I just don't think it's reasonable for them to release it - unless it's for something like "this dude assaulted me, here's the proof.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See samo6575's Items on eBay

The 1 way consent thing confuses me.

As I understand it: If you & I are having a conversation - either one of us could record it, without telling the other. Any party in the conversation can record it.

If I am sitting on a bench, and you & your wife are having a conversation in front of me - While you (clearly) realize the conversation is not private, I don't understand how I am "party" to the conversation, thus one-way consent applying, if I chose to record it.

So extend my comment about the bench to being the driver of an Uber, Cab, Limo, whatever. If the passengers are having a conversation - does the driver's mere presence make him party to it? The fact that he spoke to 1 or more of the passengers at some point - does that make him party to it?

I guess I should actually watch the video - maybe the driver was more involved in the conversation than I realized.... but if 7 guys are trash talking their coach, the driver interjects with a question ("What team do you play for?", "Is this where you want to be dropped off?", etc, etc), I don't understand how that makes him part of the conversation - and the one-party consent law kicking in.

Having said that: I think it's completely reasonable for a driver to record what's happening in their car, I just don't think it's reasonable for them to release it - unless it's for something like "this dude assaulted me, here's the proof.

I also think its very confusing. I heard the driver talk to them and some of the players also talked to him. He is obviously a part of the conversation at that point even though he is mostly listening.

What if the only thing he said was "what team do you guys play for?" does that make him a part of the convo at that point even though that's the only thing he said? By law I would think so. By common sense, he is clearly not a part of it
    Flickr: Hidden Content

Looking for Penguins, HOF Autos, Vintage Memorabilia. Aswell as any Guentzel and Murray Rookie Autos, Top Player Autos and Always looking for Decent Young Guns

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I tell you one thing, if I was a pro athlete/famous person, I would never use Uber again, if they are going to allow drivers to film their rides like that. I think Uber needs to come out strongly against this sort of thing, or they risk losing a lot of business. Just because it is "legal" doesn't mean it is right.