Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

Slumping Blackhawks fire coach Joel Quenneville

The Chicago Blackhawks fired coach Joel Quenneville on Tuesday.

Quenneville, who won three Stanley Cups with the Blackhawks, was the longest-tenured coach in the NHL. He had been with the team since 2008.

Chicago named their AHL coach, Jeremy Colliton as the new coach. Colliton, 33, becomes the youngest head coach in the NHL.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

If Edmonton swooped in and hired him, I'd be pleased. The reasonably good start by the Oilers probably means there will be no changes for a while though.

I don't watch the Hawks all that much, but my impression of their fall from grace over the last couple of years... it's got nothing to do with coaching, it has to do with lack of talent (or aging talent). That's on the GM, not the coach.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jogesc2's Items on eBay

The Chicago Blackhawks fired coach Joel Quenneville on Tuesday.

Quenneville, who won three Stanley Cups with the Blackhawks, was the longest-tenured coach in the NHL. He had been with the team since 2008.

Chicago named their AHL coach, Jeremy Colliton as the new coach. Colliton, 33, becomes the youngest head coach in the NHL.

I remember watching Jeremy Colliton play with the Crowsnest Pass Timberwolves when he was 15 or 16. He was a 2nd round pick of the Islanders but never really did anything. I think I even saw him play for the Bentley Generals after he was done playing pro.

To go from that to coaching the Blackhawks at 33 is amazing!!

I had no idea he was even coaching.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    See 529mi's Items on eBay

They got off to such a fine start, but have really dropped off. So different a team since being swept in playoffs a couple of years ago.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Arizona Coyotes Detroit Red Wings Michigan State Spartans
    Twitter: @chisparty07 Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

A lot of people here in Chicago agree that Bowman has caused many of the big issues with the team, but also saw the writing on the wall with this years draft. Bowman was too free with his NTC/MNTC and long term big dollar contracts. Seabrook is locked in with a NTC until 2021/22 at $6.8MM cap hit. They even gave Cam Ward a NMC for his 1 year $3MM deal.
    The draft this year was fairly heavily focused on offensive minded defensemen which is in stark contrast to Q's style

SCF Rewards
    Country

Bowman has been too loyal to the core. Toews is a great player yes but he is not worth 10.5 million a season just based on intangibles alone. I don't think hes even broken the 70 point barrier in his career. and if he has, then definitely didn't reach 80. Seabrook and Keith and great players but to lock them into that dollar and term at their age wasn't a great move. Then bringing back Brendan Saad for 6 mil after trading him away in the first place because he wanted to much money was silly. Can you imagine the team if they had kept Panarin.

Idk, Chicago has been great for a 5 year stretch but since then the team has gone downhill. DeBrincat has been a god send but it really has been a too loyal to the core thing. Which is understandable though, without these players you wouldn't be where you are now but there is a time where you have to let go or tell them hey we love you, you have been great but you aren't worth the money you are asking for.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Chicago Blackhawks

A lot of people here in Chicago agree that Bowman has caused many of the big issues with the team, but also saw the writing on the wall with this years draft. Bowman was too free with his NTC/MNTC and long term big dollar contracts. Seabrook is locked in with a NTC until 2021/22 at $6.8MM cap hit. They even gave Cam Ward a NMC for his 1 year $3MM deal.
    The draft this year was fairly heavily focused on offensive minded defensemen which is in stark contrast to Q's style

Most of those Hawks fan have only followed the team the last 10 years and were never around in the teams bad years. They also don't understand why some of the past players were traded due to the salary cap. Yes some of the contracts that have been given out are not the greatest but when it's working no one is complaining. Other teams around the league will have the same issues in 5-10 years, Some of those teams will never even get close to winning a cup. At least we won 3 in 5 years.

Contracts like Seabrooks and Keith can always be buried in LTIR when the time comes. Until that issue is fixed in the collective bargaining meetings teams will always use it to bury contracts.

I have no problem with Wards NMC. After Crawford got hurt last year none of the goalies that played were any good.. We needed a proven NHL goalie for a back up since no one knew going into the season if Crawford would even play. Plus it's only a 1 year deal.

I'm not defending Bowman, but anybody that follows a sport teams knows that when the team is under performing the coach is still the first to go.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Chicago Blackhawks

Bowman has been too loyal to the core. Toews is a great player yes but he is not worth 10.5 million a season just based on intangibles alone. I don't think hes even broken the 70 point barrier in his career. and if he has, then definitely didn't reach 80. Seabrook and Keith and great players but to lock them into that dollar and term at their age wasn't a great move. Then bringing back Brendan Saad for 6 mil after trading him away in the first place because he wanted to much money was silly. Can you imagine the team if they had kept Panarin.

Idk, Chicago has been great for a 5 year stretch but since then the team has gone downhill. DeBrincat has been a god send but it really has been a too loyal to the core thing. Which is understandable though, without these players you wouldn't be where you are now but there is a time where you have to let go or tell them hey we love you, you have been great but you aren't worth the money you are asking for.

There are players out there that have done a lot less then Toews making around the same amount of money. McDavid has won scoring titles and an MVP. Tavaras as far as I know has never won an award. Eichel led Buffalo in scoring last year. Toews at least has won 3 cups, A Selke, a Conn Smythe all as captain.

The Saad trade (for Panarin) at the time looked good for the Hawks. Hawks get Saad who was signed for 4 years for Panarin who was a UFA. I honestly think that if the Hawks knew that Hossa was not going to play again that trade is not made. The trade was all about the cap. Now Panarin might become a UFA and I can see him getting $8 million a year

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (14)
    Country

That is an insane move imo. He’s a great coach. Who’s in line?

SCF Rewards
    Country

While true, we know there is potential to put up points with McDavid, Eichel and Tavares. In today's game it is about speed and scoring. These players are younger and faster(except maybe Tavares but he has put up 75+ points per season the what last 4) while also having potential to put up more points than 60 or 70. Intangibles can only get you so far on the pay role imo.

I'm not saying Toews is a bad player at all. He is one of the best on defense and 'intangibles' but at 10.5 million? I think that is over payment for his age and what he does. The chance for him to even do worse than 60 points per year is also there as he ages. I love Toews as much as the next guy for what he's done for Team Canada at international level but I would never pay him at a 10.5 million per season cap hit. thats almost 7% of a teams cap hit for maybe 60 points. It just doesn't make sense to me personally. but alas I am also not a NHL GM.
    There are players out there that have done a lot less then Toews making around the same amount of money. McDavid has won scoring titles and an MVP. Tavaras as far as I know has never won an award. Eichel led Buffalo in scoring last year. Toews at least has won 3 cups, A Selke, a Conn Smythe all as captain.

The Saad trade (for Panarin) at the time looked good for the Hawks. Hawks get Saad who was signed for 4 years for Panarin who was a UFA. I honestly think that if the Hawks knew that Hossa was not going to play again that trade is not made. The trade was all about the cap. Now Panarin might become a UFA and I can see him getting $8 million a year

Last edited by TheLastOlympian07; 11-08-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast