Welcome to Sports Card Forum

The Ultimate for Everything Sports and Non-Sports Cards

•  » Are you interested in Sports and Non-Sports Cards
  •  » Looking for a tool to track your collections?
  •  » Need addresses to request for Autographs?
  •  » Want to know about Shows coming to your area?

...then you have come to the right place!

Sports Card Forum can do all of this and much more!!!

Register an account for FREE right now!

Or If you are already a Member, Please log in at the Top/Right of this page!

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

10 Commandments of the Rookie Card & mini rants

HI folks.

I don't post much in the baseball forum as I am primarily a hockey card collector. I certainly don't post conversational pieces or rants.

However, I have a couple of mini rants.

My first rant is called "The excuse for Americans not trading with Canadians"

Notice I said "excuse". I live in Canada. I like baseball cards but it seems that most baseball card collectors are in the United States and won't trade with me due to the shipping cost (this is happening across the whole spectrum of trading cards, but this is in the baseball forum so I'll stick to baseball here).

That's a moot point, because I was informed today by the lady at my post office that from this point forward, the cost of sending to the US is also expensive for me ($5 to $6 US or more, depending on what cards I send). Sending cards in a bubble mailer use to cost me around $3.50 CDN (about $2.65 US) because it use to go as a small packet. The cost is gone up because this is now a parcel.

I live on a fixed income, but I will NEVER say that "I won't trade with American collectors because it's too expensive". Yeah, we are getting screwed by both postal services and I will try to do trades that have a card or cards that have a total value of $10 or more, but that's something I'll live with because there's no choice in the matter. Waddaya gonna do? It should not deter people from trading. Come on, guys and girls! Americans aren't the only ones getting the shaft. If we confine our activity to our own country, the hobby loses and probably fizzles and dies. Trading to different countries is half the fun for me. I plan on putting a little away each week to put towards shipping costs for American collectors. I love the hobby that much.

I have another rant, which has to do with Topps stamping a Bowman Chrome refractor with the "RC" stamp.

Whether it's hockey or baseball, I love rookie cards. True rookie cards from a base set. It's all I collect. When it comes to baseball, I love Bowman Chrome base RCs especially. I have no time for memorabilia cards whatsoever (unless a player's only RC is a jersey card) and I despise refractors with a passion. Unfortunately for me, Bowman Chrome has refractors (hockey card collectors use the term "parallel", which is the same as a "refractor"). I will never understand why Topps puts an RC logo on a refractor. Many times I have bumped my baseball wantlist thread here and I get PMs that say stuff like "I got so-and-so's Bowman Chrome RC" only to find out it's a green refractor. THAT'S NOT A ROOKIE CARD!! That irks me to no end. That's a different subset with a parallel of the original rookie card. Topps has to stop putting the RC stamp on refractors. I contacted them about it but of course, that went nowhere.

I also hate it when people try to trade me a card of a player who is a few years away from the show and claiming it's a rookie card.

Case in point: Aaron Judge. His rookie card is in the 2017 Bowman Chrome set. People have offered me his 2013 Bowman Chrome Draft card (or the signed version of that card) saying it's his rookie card. IT IS NOT. It is his draft card, which is a pre-rookie. I consider those to be minor league cards. No time for those either. Refractors may be all the rage, but I prefer the true, base rookie card any day of the week. Perhaps this is another reason nobody will trade with me. I don't like the flashy stuff, the shiny refractors and limited jersey or autographed cards. I'm not in the hobby to make money. I just want to collect rookie cards of my favorite players and the best players around major league baseball (and the list is long!). Seems like nobody reads my wantlist thread. They just see the player's name and try to pass a refractor off as a rookie card. I only want the cards listed in my want thread!

This brings me to the first part of this thread's title. I saw a post by someone on twitter with an article that I love. Dated December 1, 2018, the article is called "The 10 Commandments of the Rookie Card". Given all I just said, I thought it fitting to post a link to it:

https://alltimegreats.blog/the-10-co...e-rookie-card/

You can @ me all you want, but that article is bang on.

Tony

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

2. Check out the deals at Allgood Collectibles eBay Store

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Boston Red Sox Philadelphia Eagles Boston Bruins
    See PizdecInc's Items on eBay

Tony,

i feel you. I really do. I am based out of Sweden. The whole "i don't deal outside of US" etc is getting on my nerves. trading and buying is near impossible for me at the moment. some people on here welcomes a overseas trade or sale, but most say no. i can't see the problem with trading or selling overseas. sure, things gets lost sometimes but that happens inside of the US aswell.

most of the cards i buy people overcharge on shipping for. at times i have paid 10 USD for shipping but on the label it says 3.50, 4.35 etc.

the worst thing is when trying to buy stuff from EBAY and the sellers charge 15-25 USD for a single card. i dont know where they get the rates from.

hope that makes sense.

Collecting Ben Gordon Auto/patches, Noah Syndergaard Auto/patches, Patrick Roy inserts And other random cards-
    ->Hidden Content <-
    - **I LIVE IN SWEDEN so international shipping must be OK**-
    -I only ship on Saturdays -

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Penguins Pittsburgh Pirates Pittsburgh Steelers
    See Ernieadam-0's Items on eBay

I trade with a few people in Canada but we usually accumulate a nice size lot before we decide to trade so a couple times a year or so. It's not just the rates though it's the custom slip I have to fill out every time I send out of the US which isn't that big of a deal really but it's just enough of an inconvenience on top of the high postage rates to discourage a lot of collectors.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

On small trades, sometimes the postage costs more than the trade is worth. I have no issues with trading with anybody as long as the trade is big enough to warrant the postage, whether in the US or another country. One option is to have the person paying much less in postage add cards to even things out..
    For a while (not sure if it's still true), you were able to send a bubble mailer to Canada from the US as an oversized letter which was only a few bucks instead of the $8 to $10 postage otherwise. You needed to use the Paypal website to print the shipping label but had to mail from the post office on the day you stated (when you filled out the online customs form). I did this several times with no issues but that option may no longer be available.

SCF Rewards
    Country

One option I haven't read here is trading using a COMC address. I have seen a couple US folks on a facebook group I belong to that will make a sale/trade and ship the card(s) to the foreign traders COMC box. When the foreign trader accumulates enough cards that it is worth their time/money they have the cards shipped to themselves.

FWIW, I think most US traders are open to trading outside of the US, as long as the trade amount justifies the inflated shipping cost. That amount, for me, is at least $75 worth of cards. For others, it might be less.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Oh, and with the RC logo on parallels... It comes down to money. It's cheaper for Topps to produce the parallels with the logo than without.

I think most collectors want the "first card" rather than the RC, which is probably why you are getting offered them.in trades.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Boston Red Sox Philadelphia Eagles Boston Bruins
    See PizdecInc's Items on eBay

i have checked the COMC thing. but i cant see anywhere on the site how i go about to have it shipped to my address and how much it costs. its a great idea. i think i will open a P.O box or something in the US to have everything shipped there and have one trusted person who can access the box and ship all the cards to me.

One option I haven't read here is trading using a COMC address. I have seen a couple US folks on a facebook group I belong to that will make a sale/trade and ship the card(s) to the foreign traders COMC box. When the foreign trader accumulates enough cards that it is worth their time/money they have the cards shipped to themselves.

FWIW, I think most US traders are open to trading outside of the US, as long as the trade amount justifies the inflated shipping cost. That amount, for me, is at least $75 worth of cards. For others, it might be less.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

Oh, and with the RC logo on parallels... It comes down to money. It's cheaper for Topps to produce the parallels with the logo than without.

I think most collectors want the "first card" rather than the RC, which is probably why you are getting offered them.in trades.
    You say it's more expensive, I think it's more of a case of being too lazy to remove the logo. Parallels/refractors are NOT rookies and it's very misleading. Sorry, even if it is more expensive, it's not a viable excuse for me. They should print all the base cards and refractors, then put the base rookies in and put the RC stamp on them.

I'm not a "first card collector" because the first card usually amounts to a minor league card. I view those as garbage. They haven't made the major leagues so it is not a rookie card. As the article states, a rookie card is issued once a player has made their major league debut. I'm not interested in cards produced before then. Unfortunately, Bowman does print the draft prospects set and it bugs me to no end.

Last edited by Leafsman; 12-06-2018 at 03:45 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

I don't like COMC at all. I have tried to buy from someone on here that has cards on COMC and they said they can't send the card to me directly because they were sent to COMC. I don't like the fact that someone else has your cards and you don't have any control over the shipping process.

That's a no-go from the get-go