Welcome to Sports Card Forum

The Ultimate for Everything Sports and Non-Sports Cards

•  » Are you interested in Sports and Non-Sports Cards
  •  » Looking for a tool to track your collections?
  •  » Need addresses to request for Autographs?
  •  » Want to know about Shows coming to your area?

...then you have come to the right place!

Sports Card Forum can do all of this and much more!!!

Register an account for FREE right now!

Or If you are already a Member, Please log in at the Top/Right of this page!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Raptors
    See resurrect_my_collect's Items on eBay

Are the rebuilds of the Diamondbacks and Mariners bad for MLB?

Just trying to get a good discussion going here. I see both sides of the issue.

On one hand, seeing two teams that were in contention halfway through this past year already rebuilding is surprising and perhaps a bit worrying. Is MLB heading for a state where 1/3 of the league is contenders and the other 2/3 rebuilders? That wouldn't be good.

On the other hand, flipping assets while you still have them speeds up your rebuild. It's a lot easier to rebuild or retool or however you want to label it, if you can move valuable pieces for pieces for your rebuild, rather than starting from scratch and improving at a snail's pace through the draft and free agency.

Even if it's a bad look for baseball, what the Mariners and Dbacks are doing makes sense if they don't believe they are legit contenders. I appreciate that neither GM will stand for mediocrity... but, having said that, if that means the league is going to be dominated by lousy, rebuilding teams, is it the fans who lose out the most? The players would lose out also. For example, I'm a top-10 player at my position. I'm a free agent. I fail to land a big deal with one of the league's contending teams... now what? Which of the non-contending teams want to offer me what I'm really worth just so that they can still lose? None if they're smart and committed to their rebuilds. Where does that leave me? Trying to make myself appear more attractive to the contending teams, who I would still sign with at less than my true value, but it's better to be underpaid to play for a winner than get underpaid to play for a loser? Seems like the kind of recipe ripe for a labor stoppage, but I digress. What can we make of the Dbacks and Mariners entering rebuilds?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    ​GO LEAFS GO!!

2. Find Baseball Cards on Kronozio!!

SCF Rewards
    Country

This has been going on in baseball for the past couple of years now and I don't really see it hurting baseball. Baseball really lives or dies based on who is winning and doing great. Personally I don't get why the Dbacks have to rebuild since they could have always just tried to extend Goldschmidt and signed another player and they would have been contenders in the weak NL but I can totally see why the Mariners had a fire sale. Cano got busted for PEDs and has a disastrous contract. The team got into a brawl that spilled out to the media. They weren't going anywhere and really don't have enough to win the AL West or the AL. Totally makes sense for them to just try and start over and compete in maybe another 5 years.

Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't know if rebuilds necessarily hurt baseball (although living near Seattle it sounds like the entire city wants to boycott Marines games) as long as the moves make sense to the average baseball fan and can happen within a relatively short time. Of course my Tigers are going to be rebuilding for the next 10 years so what do I know.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Marines
    Milwaukee Brewers

As a baseball fan, and a Brewers fan, I think it's good for teams to rebuild. It gives teams a chance to get better and really compete for a few years. Even if they suck for a few years in between rebuilds, its better than a team that just constantly adds bad free agents in an attempt to contend, yet stay bad. Look at the Angels for example. Sorry Angels fans, but it's time to trade Trout for some draft picks and young prospects, develop them, then get better when Houston starts to slide. Clearly adding Pujols, Ohtani, Upton, Greinke, and other free agents over the years hasn't gotten it done.

Collecting Topps Brewers, and PCs of Jonathan Lucroy, Paul Molitor, Robin Yount, and Ken Griffey Jr. Have a want list that's titled "My want Topps".

SCF Rewards
    Country

I didn't necessarily mean rebuilds in general. Bad teams should be rebuilding... I meant seeing two teams in the Diamondbacks and Mariners, who were playoff contenders for much of this past season, already abandoning ship. Especially seeing Arizona start a rebuild, it's a bit surprising. I wonder if it is the start of a trend, where even good teams take the rebuild route if they don't see themselves as contenders. That's the trend I was getting as specifically.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Marines
    Milwaukee Brewers

I think so. I dont think the Mariners are going to catch the Astros by just plugging in older random free agents. The Diamondbacks are a little curious, but maybe they feel that they need to do a better job with some younger players like the Dodgers did. Like them or not, the Dodgers have drafted a lot of talented players.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I didn't necessarily mean rebuilds in general. Bad teams should be rebuilding... I meant seeing two teams in the Diamondbacks and Mariners, who were playoff contenders for much of this past season, already abandoning ship. Especially seeing Arizona start a rebuild, it's a bit surprising. I wonder if it is the start of a trend, where even good teams take the rebuild route if they don't see themselves as contenders. That's the trend I was getting as specifically.
    Yeah I could see it being infuriating for a fan of the club to be so close to the playoffs and then just see the team trade off everyone for nothing as a big punch to the gut. Most of the time I think teams are too quick to move players and "rebuild" because they just use it as an excuse for why they can't or haven't been winning. Don't blame me for not having a good record as GM we were rebuilding kind of thing. If the Dbacks couldn't resign Goldschmidt I would have moved him too but they really didn't get much for him and unless they know something we don't they moved him too early and for too little IMO. If they think he was going to have an awful start to the season like he did last year than it was a better move but still more teams couldn't beat that offer?

The Mariners were a mess and had to rebuild but others sometimes don't care about winning and instead would rather be cheapos than to spend money on players to try and win. I honestly don't see why a team like the Indians would need to be trading away players at this point. They are so close and basically a lock in the Central to make the playoffs every year that trading away Kluber and a couple other pieces would be stuipd in my opinion. They just spent years trying to rebuild and they are already giving up?

SCF Rewards
    Country

And then you've got the Mets, who, despite being stuck in the most competitive division in the league, are going balls to the wall in their efforts to compete this year. It feels like the league as a whole is due for a big shakeup in 2019. Well, most of the league, anyhow.