Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Luka Doncic is legit!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

Luka Doncic is legit!

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25...xHVGUGWAwLMPOA

He's done some awe-inspiring stuff already this season, but tonight's performance went to yet another level: he single-handedly speared an 11-0 run to help his team to a win. Stone killer at just 19 years of age.

His compact and efficient fakes, moves, and the degree of difficulty on his shots are amazing to watch. You know who he's gonna get compared to, and for once, I truly see it. I never really thought Dirk Nowitzki was much like Larry Bird in terms of his style of play (both were obviously great shooters/scorers, but that's about all they had in common), but Doncic genuinely is a lot like Bird: limited athleticism, but his handle, court vision, hand-eye coordination, and variety of dead-eye shots (including in the clutch) are pure vintage Bird. We haven't had a player like this in decades. It's interesting that such a surgical skill-set still translates in the loosey-goosey, frenetic modern game.
    Last edited by WilyWestbrook0; 12-09-2018 at 01:03 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Instagram:

It's a great comparison, I agree! I really enjoy watching players who are limited in athleticism, yet make up for it with incredible craftiness. He's reminded me a lot of James Harden, who is also one of my favourite players. He's almost like a SF version of him in a lot of ways. However, I think Doncic will be a way better defender. His basketball IQ is already sky high, and among the top players imo, that's another aspect that impresses me because he's at such a young age. It will be interesting to look back at that trade years down the road.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jmmintz's Items on eBay

That step-back three though...filthy.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See joebobjingo's Items on eBay

He's also got good physical size at 19. Maybe that keeps him from wearing down some in his rookie year. It will be interesting to see how he handles more double teams.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

To me, if you could combine Luka and Dirk, you'd have Bird ... Bird was that special.

However, I agree, Doncic is marvelous and a lot of fun to watch play ...

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Another huge night with clutch shots late in the 4th to give Mavs a victory! Still just 19 years old. He's unbelievable.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See vivchuleta's Items on eBay

Very impressive player, wish him luck.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See joebobjingo's Items on eBay

He's rendered Dennis Smith Jr. basically useless in a very short period of time, who in his own right is a pretty high end prospect. That means you must be a pretty good player to change the tide so quickly within the franchise. Doncic doesn't have much talent around him right now, but that will also change quickly. Everybody wants to play with Luka.

SCF Rewards
    Country

OOOf. Being a longtime Celtics fan that's hallowed ground comparing him to Bird. But I get where the excitement comes from. The kid has the tools to get there. Like comparing any modern players to the past ones it is difficult. So much is different.... the game itself, players, contracts, travel, fans, rules, regulations, the list can go on and on.
    I say if he ever gets there 2 things will have to change for him.

#2 is putting less stress on his body. Especially on penetration assists. Even his step backs have a bit more strain on his joints than I think Bird used. And we all know what happened to Bird in the end. You can play as good or better than Bird for 3 or 4 years and never be Bird. At this point his joints can do about anything asked from them. He's 19.

#1 is the team around him. Very few great ones do it alone. Arguably none of them. When he gets doubled night in and night out, especially in the playoffs (that's what careers are remembered for) he's going to need help. They all do.

And yes, he reminds me of Bird. Hopefully he still does in 2025.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Yeah he will definitely need a better team around him for sure. I'd hate to see him dealing with what Anthony Davis has dealt with on those meh Pelicans teams of his.