Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Panini America Provides Detailed First Look at 2018 Contenders Optic Football (Gallery)

The melding of Panini America’s popular Optichrome printing technology with just about anything over the last few years has proven to be an irresistible collecting combination. Whether its staple Optichrome products like Prizm and Select, or newer additions such as Donruss Optic and Contenders Optic, there’s just something about those products that continues to command attention. That will most certainly be the case in late February with the release of 2018 Contenders Optic Football.

https://blog.paniniamerica.net/2018/...tball-gallery/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos
    See Just a buyer, no page.'s Items on eBay

How come no photos of the points cards?

C'mon, surely they can show a nice pretty 2000 point card and Hackler can do a sweet write up telling us how they saved the world of collecting from certain disaster using the Superpowers of points. Just blur out the code.

After all, the airlines are always pushing points. And everyone else pushes their points....Credit cards, stores, etc.

In all seriousness, I never added a 17 Optic Contenders to my collection last year. By the time Optic C came out, I had already spent enough money on Carlos Henderson. I did get the regular Contenders singles Broncos, but not this product. I never saw one I was willing to spend the money on. Even in cheap auctions. (Wouldn't mind owning a Patrick Mahomes though.)

But a Phillip Lindsay and probably Bradley Chubb are likely to get in this year. Probably won't be cheap though, haha. & I hope they got Lindsay to sign already, because he probably won't be signing anything by February. (At least I hope not.)

Count me as NOT a fan of reprint rookie cards. I just never liked pulling copies of old cards. I kinda liked Topps version of putting new rookies on old style cards, like in 2012, using the 1984 look. But just doing old players rookie cards, again, seems like a waste to me. At least in a product that was always about the rookies.

I know Contenders always had MVP and Legendary inserts, but they were always new cards, even if the roster didn't change too much from year to year. But Contenders was always about the rookies, like Bowman. (I know, they did reprints also, never really liked those either.)

Lastly, it looks like they still got a ton of Peyton's stickers laying around.

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Member is PayPal Verified

The melding of Panini America’s popular Optichrome printing technology with just about anything over the last few years

Indeed, for it was Bob in the fabled Panini marketing department who found out that if Panini chromes all their regular releases they can double the amount of product they release without having to pay double on designs. I look forward to Panini Prizm Optic which chromes the chrome with extra chrome.

has proven to be an irresistible collecting combination.

irresistible.... or the only option available to collector's since the NFLPA sold out and made football cards a single source vendor?

Whether its staple Optichrome products like Prizm and Select, or newer additions such as Donruss Optic and Contenders Optic,

Can't wait for Panini Crown Royal Optic, Panini Classics Optic, Panini Origins Optic, Panini Phoenix Optic, Panini Playoff Optic, Panini Prestige Optic, Panini Rookies & Stars Optic, Score Optic, Panini Optic, and of course Panini Optic Optic. All will be staples and the best selling products ever. No one in the hobby is doing what Panini is. Topps certainly didn't chrome their products up in the 1990s like Bowman, Finest, Topps, and even Stadium Club.

there’s just something about those products that continues to command attention.

Car accidents on the highway continue to command attention as well.

That will most certainly be the case in late February with the release of 2018 Contenders Optic Football.

I look forward to 2019 when I can buy both BRAND new 2018 football cards and 2020 cars. It's like a time vortex knotted into a pretzel.

Oh ho ho, but there is more to this epic post! Don could only tolerate pasting as much as he did without his computer crashing from overloading the computer's memory from the weighty strudel of Hackler's word loaf. However dear reader I risked multiple computer crashes and reformatting my OS to bring you the rest of the post!

On average, each hobby box of 2018 Contenders Optic Football (six cards per box, 10 boxes per inner case, two inner cases per master case)

I remember when a hobby box would contain something like 24 packs of cards and you'd always want to dig down to get the ones towards the bottom. My local card shop would one a single case of the product and there might be 6-8 boxes in the case. I recently opened a hobby box of Stadium Club chrome, 5 cards per pack, 24 packs per box. 120 cards in all, it was a blast!

will deliver two autographs (one on-card)

How gracious of Panini to have the cards printed out ahead of time for the athlete to sigh with a nice big signature rather than signing reams of tiny stickers that will be used for the next 15 years. Maybe someday Panini will release Beyond the Grave Optic which only contains autographs for athletes who passed away in black and white photography that is optichromed up with the eulogy printed on the back. It's tasteful and Panini has the licensing rights.

one parallel and one insert.

Why even bother with inserts at this point? With 120 cards per master case, aren't all the cards insert cards at that point?

Once again this season, Contenders Optic will showcase some of the most iconic sets in Contenders history with the help of this season’s hottest rookies as well as the game’s greatest legends.

I hope those Windows 10 computers can open old photoshop files from the Windows XP era.

A Season Ticket base set featuring a rainbow array of colorful parallels to chase, including Red (numbered to 199), Blue (numbered to 99), Orange (numbered to 49), Gold (numbered to 10) and Gold Vinyl 1/1s.

I don't remember gold and gold vinyl being part of the rainbow. It's ENTIRELY redundant to describe the parallels as "colorful" when the preceding adjective is "rainbow array". Also get this man a bag of skittles, because red, blue, and orange is at best 50% of a rainbow. Why no purple or green? A couple years ago green parallels were among the rarest parallels out there. I got this cool Eddie Geroge 2013 Totally Certified green parallel /5.

Contenders Tribute sets that include on-card autographs from 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005.

What happened to 1998, 2000, and 2001? Why no love for the '98 release with the iconic Peyton Manning rookie auto?

Key inserts such as MVP Contenders, Player of the Year Contenders and Triple Threat

True story, I was going to boycott this release until I learned that Triple Threat was included as a key insert.

Hunt for the Optic version of one of the most iconic Rookie Cards of the past century: The 2000 Contenders Tribute Autograph of Tom Brady.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... ...........................................

Hackler can do a sweet write up telling us how they saved the world of collecting from certain disaster using the Superpowers of points.

^^^This guy gets it.