Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Policy failure led to unsupervised hockey locker room

State and local hockey officials say a supervision policy was not followed when two teenage Mitchell players got in a “locker boxing” match that led to the hospitalization of a 15-year-old.

The South Dakota Amateur Hockey Association follows the “Safe Sport Program,” a policy of which part states each team is to have a locker room monitor. If that person is not inside the locker room, they’re an arm’s length away from it, the policy says.

https://mitchellrepublic.com/news/cr...ey-locker-room

SCF Rewards
    Country

Being a coach and having gone through the safe sport training this rule drives me crazy...we have to wait around until the last kid leaves and our team cannot hang out by themselves in the locker room the way we used to. We would sometimes get into all kinds of trouble in there by ourselves and sometimes even got called out but we sorted out our own problems and took responsibility for it when we got caught and screwed up, it wasn't the coaches' fault for not being there.

Kids will be kids, when they are supervised all the time the ones that look for trouble are going to find it...I feel like there's a connection between how kids are smothered by adult supervision and the stupid "challenges " we see when they get a minute to themselves like that Tide Pod Challenge, etc.

I am biased because we didn't have coaches in our rooms back when, it just irks me how much the onus is on the adults today. You would think that with all these "trouble-proofing" we do we would have much less problems with misbehavior of our children but it is the exact opposite.

I coach mites that are 8U so it's not a big deal while they're young and cute but it's gotta be awkward having a coach in there with a bunch of 13-14 year olds.

Just my $0.02.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Oklahoma Sooners Washington State Cougars

Being a coach and having gone through the safe sport training this rule drives me crazy...we have to wait around until the last kid leaves and our team cannot hang out by themselves in the locker room the way we used to. We would sometimes get into all kinds of trouble in there by ourselves and sometimes even got called out but we sorted out our own problems and took responsibility for it when we got caught and screwed up, it wasn't the coaches' fault for not being there.

Kids will be kids, when they are supervised all the time the ones that look for trouble are going to find it...I feel like there's a connection between how kids are smothered by adult supervision and the stupid "challenges " we see when they get a minute to themselves like that Tide Pod Challenge, etc.

I am biased because we didn't have coaches in our rooms back when, it just irks me how much the onus is on the adults today. You would think that with all these "trouble-proofing" we do we would have much less problems with misbehavior of our children but it is the exact opposite.

I coach mites that are 8U so it's not a big deal while they're young and cute but it's gotta be awkward having a coach in there with a bunch of 13-14 year olds.

Just my $0.02.

agreed

Safe Sport and some of these other safety rules go overboard and accomplish nothing. Here we have a rule where if a coach is on the ice without a helmet it’s an automatic 30 day suspension. Dumbest thing I have ever heard of. Eveytime I go to public skate there is some kid out there who has been on the ice 3 times or less running around with no helmet on and that doesn’t seem to bother anybody. However a 40 year old man who has spent most of his life on the ice and is volunteering his time to to instruct 8 year olds doesn’t have the right to take the chance of busting his head on the ice during a practice. The only good thing I have seen out of safe sport is it forced the rinks here to have a female locker room. And yes you have to stay there and hang out until all the kids are done changing and there is always that one kid (my 14 year old) who takes 45 minutes to change after a game. If A.J. or any other slow poke wants to take 45 minutes to socialize and build a relationships with his teammates you or any other coach should not be forced to hang out chaperone. I’m sure most of these coaches have to go to work the next morning and want to get home.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Don

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Arizona Coyotes Detroit Red Wings Michigan State Spartans
    Twitter: @chisparty07 Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

agreed

Safe Sport and some of these other safety rules go overboard and accomplish nothing. Here we have a rule where if a coach is on the ice without a helmet it’s an automatic 30 day suspension. Dumbest thing I have ever heard of. Eveytime I go to public skate there is some kid out there who has been on the ice 3 times or less running around with no helmet on and that doesn’t seem to bother anybody. However a 40 year old man who has spent most of his life on the ice and is volunteering his time to to instruct 8 year olds doesn’t have the right to take the chance of busting his head on the ice during a practice. The only good thing I have seen out of safe sport is it forced the rinks here to have a female locker room. And yes you have to stay there and hang out until all the kids are done changing and there is always that one kid (my 14 year old) who takes 45 minutes to change after a game. If A.J. or any other slow poke wants to take 45 minutes to socialize and build a relationships with his teammates you or any other coach should not be forced to hang out chaperone. I’m sure most of these coaches have to go to work the next morning and want to get home.

Stories like this are why the helmet rules are in place
    https://www.google.com/amp/amp.fox9....uring-practice

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Oklahoma Sooners Washington State Cougars

Stories like this are why the helmet rules are in place
    https://www.google.com/amp/amp.fox9....uring-practice

While I understand what you saying. if your an adult you should be able to make the choice on if you want to wear a helmet or not. Same goes for a motorcycle. I have been on a motorcycle hundreds if not a thousand times and have only ridden twice without a helmet. While I think it’s the right thing to do I don’t feel myself or laws should tell another adult they have to wear a helmet on a motorcycle or hockey rink. If you want to scatter your brains on the pavement or ice it’s your call. You are only hurting yourself self not putting others in danger such as drunk driving where yes there should be laws against that.