Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

80's collector that took a long break and starting to get back into it again.

Hello all;

I started collecting when I was a kid with my old man. Primarily baseball in the 80's and a little bit in the early 90's.

Joined the US Navy when I was 18 and did the whole growing up thing, (got married, bought a house, had two kids) and in that time frame I'd buy a random pack here or there when I was at Target or some other store just to see how much the cards have progressed since I last collected but never got back fully into the swing of it. You know, the whole buying Beckett's, going to card shows, buying wax boxes the day they're released, building sets from the wax boxes, and so on.

A couple of months ago I went for a visit to my parents and while there, went into my old room and discovered my parents had never cleaned out my closet where I had stored a dozen baseball card white boxes, (you know those ones designed for cards that you have to fold together to make them?).

I sat my 45 year old body on the floor of my old room and pulled out the boxes and started going through my old cards like I did when I was 12 years old and the cards were new. My first born son came into the room and sat Indian style next to me as we both started looking through the cards. After a few minutes, my youngest son came in and followed suit of his big brother. We sat there, in my room, going through my old cards. I told my boys about collecting with my dad (their grandfather that was currently downstairs) and how much fun we had getting that one rookie card or getting that one card we needed to complete our set. The joy I felt as I sat there with my father as we opened up wax packs from the new wax boxes that we purchased from our local sports card shop.

Back then there were only a few companies; Topps, Fleer, and Donruss, I told my boys about when Upper Deck came out and how beautiful these premium cards were and showed them the difference between a 1989 Topps card and a 1989 Upper Deck card from the cards I had in my collection. How when Upper Deck came out, they were charging a whole dollar for one pack which we kids thought was INSANE! Compared to Topps charging something like .40 cents a pack.

It's with these memories I shared with my boys that I decided to get back into collecting. So together, my boys and I have started collecting again. Football primarily but some baseball. We moved from California to Texas about 2 years ago and with that move came the realization that Texas and Football is like PB&J and let me tell you guys, Texas is SERIOUS about their football! Lol

Anyway, that's a little about me and I hope I didn't run on too long. I look forward to learning from you all as I'm sure you guys have WAY more experience than I do when it comes to collecting in 2019!

Thanks for your time.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

Welcome to SCF, @clshep! If you have questions, please feel free to ask them in the Feedback and Suggestions forum as we are always looking to improve SCF. Also, I invite you to review our free tools to enhance your collections such as our Inventory Manager and Through the Mail Manager! -Scott

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (12)
    Country
    Air Force
    Dallas Cowboys New York Yankees Boston Celtics
    See bakemeister52's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Welcome to SC F and welcome back to the hobby!
    Football: Emmitt Smith and CeeDee Lamb!
    Baseball: Aaron Judge/Adley Rutschman/Derek Jeter/Anthony Volpe!
    Only collect Football/Baseball cards, but I have lots of Basketball/Hockey cards and set to trade for BB and FB!
    Hidden Content

New Member Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Red Sox Philadelphia Eagles Philadelphia Flyers
    Send PayPal to Rybowski Member is PayPal Verified

Welcome to SCF Carlos, enjoy yourself here with your boys, have fun and welcome back to the hobby!

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    The Bench (105)
    Country
    Kansas City Royals Chicago Bears St Louis Blues

First, thanks so much for your service! Second, you just told so much of my own collecting story, after years away from it! So glad to hear, and so glad to have you on SCF! The 80s were an awesome time, and great for collecting! Welcome, and God Bless you and your family!

Kevin

SCF Rewards
    Country

Sounds like you’ve got some collecting in your future. Good luck with you and the boys. I’m sure they’ll remember it fondly as did you with your dad. Enjoy the site.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Baltimore Orioles New York Jets New Jersey Devils

Welcome and good luck