Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

If henderson belongs in the hockey hall of fame, so do reichel, svoboda and a bunch of other pl

Canadian Members of Parliament unanimously voted to pass a motion to urge the Hall of Fame to induct Paul Henderson, but the 1972 Summit Series hero simply doesn't have the NHL credentials and there are players yet to be inducted with greater impact on the international stage.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/artic...STER-All_Users

SCF Rewards
    Country

Just read the article and although it was poorly written I do agree with the point. I'm no expert on the HHOF, but maybe there's some special corner where they display items from notable events, There could go Paul's skates or something like that. Maybe even his picture and a quick paragraph under it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See 111sold's Items on eBay

I would like to see him inducted.

That Series is pretty important in Canadian history. Just like the 1980 Olympics in which the US won.

I am sure if one digs into the HHOF not all inductees were NHL high calibre players.

There is an area in the HHOF that has the 72 Summit Series. He could be inducted and put in that area. I am sure they can make up some fancy wording nowadays to justify his entry.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

Once again I disagree with Ken Campbell. Henderson is a Hall of Famer the same as Willie O'Ree is is a Hall of Famer. Throw the stats out the window, both their impacts on the game as a whole was huge.
    Last edited by subban7677; 02-01-2019 at 10:35 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See johnwaynehankwilliams's Items on eBay

I was lucky enough to watch that particular series and believe me he does deserve to be inducted.

It may not be very important in the American sports arena, however; to all Canadians he represented a hero when one was needed. He gave our sport back to us. He gave us something, someone to believe in.

If Mr. Bettman can be inducted (I still can't believe it) then surely there is a special place for Paul Henderson.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

I was lucky enough to watch that particular series and believe me he does deserve to be inducted.

It may not be very important in the American sports arena, however; to all Canadians he represented a hero when one was needed. He gave our sport back to us. He gave us something, someone to believe in.

If Mr. Bettman can be inducted (I still can't believe it) then surely there is a special place for Paul Henderson.

I agree 100%. I was born in 1977, so it was a little before my time. The greatest goals of my lifetime were probably the Lemieux goal in the '87 Canada Cup, and Crosby's "Golden Goal" in 2010. Henderson's goal destroys both of those.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

Once again I disagree with Ken Campbell. Henderson is a Hall of Famer the same as Willie O'Ree is is a Hall of Famer. Throw the stats out the window, both their impacts on the game as a whole was huge.

To put Paul Henderson in the hall of fame for ONE GOAL is ludicrous...he didn't "build a nation" with that goal. It "won" a series that they were expected to win. The only thing was, nobody thought Russia was as good as Canada at hockey at that time. That's the only reason that goal means anything at all. Gimme a break! Technically, Paul Henderson IS in the hall of fame. The 1972 summit series team is honoured there already; not individually, but as a team. That's as far as Henderson should get. And I'm a Leafs fan.

Willie O'Ree is different. He broke barriers for inclusion in the game of hockey and has, and continues to, run programs for people of all colours, beliefs, and walks of life to enjoy the game. He embodies the spirit of the game and is a true hall of famer. He should have been in many years ago.

I feel like the hockey hall of fame has become "the hall of very good and the great" as opposed to inducting "the greats of the game". My basis for this is the class of 2002:

Bernie Federko: He had a long career, that's it.
    Clark Gillies: Complimentary player on a winning team.
    Rogie Vachon: This is the only one of that induction class I agree with.
    Rod Langway: Won a cup in his rookie year and one individual award. I honestly never heard of him until I pulled one of his hockey cards in the late 1990s. Meh.

Speaking of unworthy candidates, I have an unpopular opinion: Eric Lindros is not a hall of famer.

Yes, he was dominant for four or five years, then he got injured a lot. Because he was injured, he could not be dominant long enough to warrant inclusion. If you don't play long enough, I got four words: Too bad, so sad. No pity from me.

His attitude was unbecoming of a member of the hall of fame as well. Refusing to play for the team that drafted you? Sitting out a season because you want to be traded to a certain team and your current team would not oblige that request? He's a spoiled brat, and doesn't belong in the hall of fame period.

Bottom line, it's time for "the old boys club" to be kicked out of the HHOF executive committee and put people in there who truly understand the term "greatness".
    Last edited by Leafsman; 02-02-2019 at 05:00 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See johnwaynehankwilliams's Items on eBay

Hi.

This is an excerpt straight from Wikipedia:

Henderson scored the game-winning goal in the sixth, seventh and eighth games, the last of which has become legendary in Canada and made him a national hero: it was voted the "sports moment of the century" by The Canadian Press and earned him numerous accolades.

So he did not just score 1 goal he scored 3 winning goals. As I stated earlier in a post. I was around at the time of the 72 Summit. Believe me it was very important to all Canadians at the time. Yes, Canada was supposed to easily beat the Russians. However, they learned very early that this was going to be not as easy as they thought. They were even booed by Canadian Fans at the game in Vancouver. Esposito took exception to this and he let all Canadians know that the team was putting out 100% effort and he did not believe they deserved the ridicule.

As a team member he does deserve to be acknowledged as he has been. I believe he deserves to be acknowledged as an individual as well.

I am a True Blue Maple Leaf Fan but to me this is not a team issue but a National issue.

Respectfully

TMLJWHW Fan

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

To put Paul Henderson in the hall of fame for ONE GOAL is ludicrous...he didn't "build a nation" with that goal. It "won" a series that they were expected to win. The only thing was, nobody thought Russia was as good as Canada at hockey at that time. That's the only reason that goal means anything at all. Gimme a break! Technically, Paul Henderson IS in the hall of fame. The 1972 summit series team is honoured there already; not individually, but as a team. That's as far as Henderson should get. And I'm a Leafs fan.

Willie O'Ree is different. He broke barriers for inclusion in the game of hockey and has, and continues to, run programs for people of all colours, beliefs, and walks of life to enjoy the game. He embodies the spirit of the game and is a true hall of famer. He should have been in many years ago.

hes-right-you-know-32644779.png

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See icefields02's Items on eBay

i cant believe that Tretiak is a hall of famer.

in those memorable 8 summit games he allowed 31 goals.
    thats almost a GAA of 4.
    and if not for his excellent system/team and the fact that they played a lot of teams that couldnt win in the western hockey league (or beer leagues for that matter).
    and the reason he didnt come to play in the NHL when it was allowed is (IMO) he didnt want to tarnish his reputation by playing on a team like washington in their non competitive years. having watched that series i
    doubt if he would of been any better than the average NHL goalie.
    why are we so quick to honour others and so reluctant to honour our own.
    the NHL started going downhill once the Americans took control. - sorry but its my opinion.
    Canadians think differently, and i am one of the few people on the PLANET to actually have been at the game when the Toronto Maple Leafs raised the cup in Maple Leaf Gardens , back in 64. dont forget they also won 4 cups in six years waaaay back then lol

my two cents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast