Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why No Trades?

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Yeah. That's the one I used to be in but I was getting a bunch of dupes and not really getting the same value as what I would send. That's why I think there should be more stipulations as to what should be sent.

Could always talk to hnbbyfan and see if that suggestion could be implemented etc.
    @hobbyfan post 12 and 13
    Don

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys
    See krunchtyme's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

I wish I had the answer or could offer a suggestion to make the site better....I don't. The site puts a lot of people from all over the country/world together and does a Great job! Remember the days when you had to actually go to the lcs, trade with them or someone you bumped into in the store or kids in the neighborhood? Worked great....I don't have an LCS in my area....At 48 years old, if I make deals with 12 year olds then I'm going to be looked at funny.

I've talked to Scott about a uniformed, card viewer, trade mechanism/app, but those things cost money to create. I have been working with a developer but to continue to production from the idea phase is expensive. Even with the developer being willing to do the work up front and get paid after release and some usage it is still expensive.

Would making the threads more specific work? - Base for Base, Player Lot for Player Lot, Team for Team??? Don't know???

Maybe making Titles of threads more uniform to make threads easier to navigate?

Again, I don't have any good answer. Just more questions.

Would entering wants and haves for trades into the db work better? If it is a want, people can search for it if they have it and want to trade it. The software will directly provide the link to get the two together? I don't see a lot of people entering their wants/haves because it is very time consuming and so an easy way to link people together isn't being utilized to the best of the software's ability.

Plus we all use different mechanisms to make a trade. Some SV, some BV, some if they want it or like it. I completely understand all of the good reasons we do this, but it does make it hard. Example: I'll use refractors because this is the biggest issue in what I collect. 2014 Topps Chrome - Multiple versions of each card Normal, Refractor, Orange, Purple....Ok, Lets stop there. No serial numbers, slightly different issue levels. So... Let's take this card: Bishop Sankey - Tennesse Titans. Career Stats: played 2014 and 2015 just over 700 yards rushing in 2 years. Rookie Year 2014. Is his refractor rookie card worth $1.25?

The book says so. (If so, I'll sell you 50 of them at .50 cents each!) Of course not, supply and demand. The demand is super low, as is the sale value. (can be had for .07 cents on comc). So, why would I trade for Sankey cards at BV? Now, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, they are definitely closer to BV. (I'm not a true believer in BV anyways, but it's a decent guideline.) So is BV worth it? In some cases? Yes definitely, in all cases (not likely.)

This doesn't even discuss trading GU for base or Refractors, etc.... At BV - it's seems easy, In reality it seems much harder. 100 . 10 cent cards is $10 by BV. Anyone want to trade 100 1990 topps cards for a 2006 Bowman Sterling refractor Javon Walker Jersey Card, when he was on the Packers? Again, not likely...

Throw in the fact that we pay so much to break wax, we don't want it to be worth pennies on the dollar of what we paid, but it is reality in many cases. In 2010 I pulled a Dez Bryant / Demarius Thomas Dual Auto #/25...Worth a ka-jillion dollars. I saw one the other day for $10 and I could have probably talked that one down.

Time changes things. Play on the field changes things. Longevity changes things. The Market the player plays in changes things....Phillip Rivers - HOF numbers???? Comparatively - yes, No Super Bowls to Eli's 2 and Ben's? hmmmmm. Damn, even positions changes things - Ed Reed - HOF of course, defensive player... Lower prices than most offensive players.

I trade with BuyingGameUsed massive amounts of Jersey cards. The BV on these cards is sometimes pretty high. I look at SV and what it means to me. In many cases the cards I am trading are exactly what he says "your junk GU". The book value is way off on a 2005 Matt Jones Jersey card. (In my opinion of course). So for me, I look at each card as potentially worth .50 or $1. If I want a card and he is asking for 10 GU and I think the card is worth $10, I'll trade him 10 or 15 of my "junk" GU to get the card I want. I know not all of us would do that, and it's your collection, so you can do what ever you would like. I consider refractors the same way. In most cases they are not worth the BV price, so I posted a thread to trade better cards for large lots of refractors. It hasn't worked overly well, but that just means a lot of people are straddled with refractors they don't want. LOL (ok my opinion again). I would rather trade my Brady Rookie for a large lot of refractors (ok super large lot) because I want the refractors more than Brady. People will point out the Brady has a price too and argue with me. I agree with them. I am using the BV (ish) for part of the trade, because everything has a value/price to the people involved in the trade. Coming to an agreement is the hard part.

I can go on forever, but the moral of the story is... Tell everyone what you collect and what you have to trade. Make trades that balance (for you individually) the enhancement of your collection and the cost of what you are trading. Most of all, enjoy the hobby, enjoy the camaraderie of the guys and girls on the boards, enjoy the anticipation of getting cards in the mail, understand that you may make a deal and get some great cards that go up in value or you may not; but never forget to enjoy the process, the actions and the outcome. It's a hobby and a great one!

Has anyone thought of setting up a meeting of SCF members at like a card show or something like that?

Thanks for reading.

PS: After writing this and reading it. Can we change the button from "Post Quick Reply" to "Post a long Article/Book Reply?" LOL

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys

Side Note - To see someone's inventory and to contact them, follow these steps:

1: Go to trade manager

2: Click on Inventories [See above, next to Card Cash Store] (not my inventories)

3: Type in a player or a team (or even a Username if you know they collect a certain team/player)

This will bring up a list of Users who have listed that player/team for trade and you can browse that list by card #, User, BUT it allows you to contact that person for a trade.

Results of 2005 Drew Brees search:

Now I have the usernames and card list of everyone who has listed a 2005 Drew Brees Card. If they put a picture that shows too.

We can't help if people aren't active. Trial and error there. The team search works as well.

So if we update our stuff - We are all guilty of not updating or keeping our stuff updated - then this will work better

Hope this helps everyone who mentioned a link connector in this thread!!!!

SCF Rewards
    Country

It has always gone through ups and downs but I feel the pain that there has been a real slow down.

Heck anyone wanting a small or large trade look at our flikr and latest thread......always willing to look!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Rich,
    \
    Has anyone thought of setting up a meeting of SCF members at like a card show or something like that?

Rich,
    We have done this every year at the nationals. I even done it at local shows from the two gibraltar trade shows that I drove to Michigan for and the local show for me at Lexington, Ky, and a few other small ones when I traveled, So it has been out there and other members used to share their shows and would meet ups ith other members. Had the one in North Carolina that a Enigma went to and Scott had the buffalo mafia, and others thoughout the years. It now always about the mod's setting it up but the members taking a lead as there only a few active mod's on the site who have the time to do this kind of stuff and it all boils down to location.

I totally think a chat function would work wonder for trade nights or just chatting with someone in the forum as in the past other forums have had a chat function that you could chat live time if the corresponding member was on or jump into a chat room to chat for the heck of it or do trade nights, box breaks, box breaks, etc. Could easily use the SCF facebook page for that but again it needs to be led by someone to bring the activity level back in different facets of the whole aspect of the hobby.

P.S. Sending you a pm on the inventory.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys

I think chat would be great. I answered the PM, I hope I understood exactly what you were asking.

I'm guilty of not enough time to enter in all my stuff, like we all are. I would like to see a list of people who have been on last hour, last day, last week. I'm like other people, I come and go as life gets in the way, but it might help?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Giants New Jersey Devils
    See bcool022's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

I definitely noticed a drop in trades over recent months, as i have made only 1 trade recently. That is the main reason I started doing the group breaks, was to build up some activity on this site and hopefully people would make transactions on some of the cards they got. I love this site and the trade manager and I just hope to continue trying to build activity levels.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I think chat would be great. I answered the PM, I hope I understood exactly what you were asking.

I'm guilty of not enough time to enter in all my stuff, like we all are. I would like to see a list of people who have been on last hour, last day, last week. I'm like other people, I come and go as life gets in the way, but it might help?

I just sent you another pm. As my exact question was not answered. Thanks for the quick response.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Buffalo Bulls Buffalo Bills Buffalo Sabres

Would making the threads more specific work? - Base for Base, Player Lot for Player Lot, Team for Team??? Don't know???

Piggybacking off this thought... Is it possible to create Sub-Forums within the "Football Card Trading" Sub-Forum...

Base for Base Trading
    Player for Player Trading
    NFL Team for NFL Team Trading
    College Team for College Team Trading
    Auto for Auto Trading

Personally, I do not have the time to wade through many of the threads in the main Football Card Trading forum and try to decipher what people really want. Same is true with "check my flikr, photobucket", etc, etc.

Maybe having these sub-forums would make it more clear exactly what a trader wants and increase activity levels...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Red Sox Boston Celtics New England Patriots
    See maccards44's Items on eBay

Piggybacking off this thought... Is it possible to create Sub-Forums within the "Football Card Trading" Sub-Forum...

Base for Base Trading
    Player for Player Trading
    NFL Team for NFL Team Trading
    College Team for College Team Trading
    Auto for Auto Trading

Personally, I do not have the time to wade through many of the threads in the main Football Card Trading forum and try to decipher what people really want. Same is true with "check my flikr, photobucket", etc, etc.

Maybe having these sub-forums would make it more clear exactly what a trader wants and increase activity levels...

I respectfully disagree. I think fracturing it down to specifics would decrease activity levels. Look at the set building forum for evidence of that, ghost town.
    In terms of 'wading through threads' the issue for me is that there aren't *enough* threads and the only activity is mostly the same 7-12 people bumping their threads over and over again.
    Not that I'm complaining about that, if not for those folks the page would almost never change.

I'm totally being 'that guy' and whining without offering a solution but I don't think more subforums is the answer. We need new members with a diverse group of collecting interests.
    There used to be people who actually wanted Tampa Bay Buccs and Arizona Cardinals cards and would actually trade for them. There was a guy who collected serial numbered cards that were 01/xx ... people who collected Matt Forte, a guy who collected Dennis Dixon (Dennis Dixon!!!).... it made getting a deal done without having the same handful of players everyone on here wants (mahomes, judge, trout,luka,etc)

Has everyone just gone to comc?
    maccards44 everywhere 'bay, etc
    Just Selling Right Now

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast