Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Red face Aloha from Honolulu, HI!

Aloha from Honolulu, HI! It's been a chilly 63-65 degrees the last few days, so everyone's hunkered down indoors (must be remnants of that polar vortex...), which led me to stumbling upon this site.

I've kind of returned to the hobby following a 25-year hiatus. I collected casually as a kid in the mid-70's, just buying baseball packs, becoming an Oakland A's fan in their heyday. As I grew older, the A's ran into several lean years, and I gravitated toward other interests as a teenager.

A friend re-introduced me to the hobby during my college years, as the mid-80's card boom hit, and my interest piqued again as I was then able to attend a lot of A's/Giants games in the bay area. I was able to justify the collecting habit to my parents and then-girlfriend, due to the investment craze. But then the oversupply of cards hit, MLB players went on strike, and I returned to the islands where we have no pro team. So the cards have sat in the closets since then.

I later had a couple of sons, got them playing ball and was able to re-live the joys of opening a few packs here and there. I recently made the mistake of looking at a few sets I have in binders and thought it would actually be kind of cool to complete a few older sets I had left untouched('73,'75,'76). So I started buying the older cards on eBay. Since there is pretty much an unlimited supply, I've quickly exceeded limits which my wife has implemented after seeing the Paypal charges. So I tried to make a commitment to only buy as much as I can sell. Didn't last long, as there's way more stuff interested in buying versus selling.... So maybe I'll try this trading route for a while. Here's hoping there are plenty of traders out there!

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Glad to see ya living the hobby after in and out over the years. Your story sounds like all the others it so much easier to spend than to sell. Hopefully, the trading route works out for you. If you have any questions on building a tradelist, which best site to use to host pictures, etc this site is a great resource.

Don

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys
    See krunchtyme's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

I used to live in Honolulu. There was an awesome card store near one of the hospitals. Man, I loved that place. They used to put auctions up on the wall.

SCF Rewards
    Country

What is everyone using to figure bv these days? Used to be be Beckett back in the day.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

What is everyone using to figure bv these days? Used to be be Beckett back in the day.

The majority is probably is ebay sales.

Don

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yeah, I remember the bid boards were a lot of fun! Used to be plenty of card shops and weekly card shows, now I think there's only one card shop left in town (and they sell more pokemon/magic cards than sportscards).

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Yeah, I remember the bid boards were a lot of fun! Used to be plenty of card shops and weekly card shows, now I think there's only one card shop left in town (and they sell more pokemon/magic cards than sportscards).

Have to do what pays the bills. Would not be the first shop that I seen a shop carry those to help cover the downturn in sport cards.

DON

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Welcome to the site!
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (12)
    Country
    Air Force
    Dallas Cowboys New York Yankees Boston Celtics
    See bakemeister52's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Welcome to SCF and back to the hobby!
    Football: Emmitt Smith and CeeDee Lamb!
    Baseball: Aaron Judge/Adley Rutschman/Derek Jeter/Anthony Volpe!
    Only collect Football/Baseball cards, but I have lots of Basketball/Hockey cards and set to trade for BB and FB!
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Good luck here. Mainly, eBay sales is used for book value which only makes sense I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast