Welcome to Sports Card Forum

The Ultimate for Everything Sports and Non-Sports Cards

•  » Are you interested in Sports and Non-Sports Cards
  •  » Looking for a tool to track your collections?
  •  » Need addresses to request for Autographs?
  •  » Want to know about Shows coming to your area?

...then you have come to the right place!

Sports Card Forum can do all of this and much more!!!

Register an account for FREE right now!

Or If you are already a Member, Please log in at the Top/Right of this page!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Who do you do you value a card serial #'ed 2/2 er basically limited to 2?

**HOW** do you value a card serial #'ed 2/2 or basically limited to 2?

I recently bought a 2018-19 Leaf ITG Game Used Wayne Gretzky & Connor McDavid "Reflections" Duel GU Jersey (Gretzky) & Thee Color Patch (McDavid) serial #ed 2/2.

I have seen similar cards to the one described above (same year/set), but they're GU jerseys and not patches - the card(s) were also serial numbered xx/25

Is there a way to place a value on it? I mean I know what I paid for it and it was a steal, I know it's worth way more than what I paid for it, but I wonder if there is a trick or "formula" of sorts to gauge the value of cards that are serial #'ed so low that price guides don't even bother including them in their issues.... I don't go by Beckett anyway, and I do subscribe to the notion that a card is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm just wondering if someone with a little more experience with super rare cards like these has a trick or method to determine value on cards like this.

Thanks for your help.

- Nick

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Savard18; 02-17-2019 at 02:47 PM.

2. Kronozio

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

I looked on ebay and saw what you paid for, it's probably a realistic price considering it's a Leaf card. Leaf is really over doing low-numbered parallels and it's killing the value of their low-numbered cards. It's a great way to land amazing pieces of memorabilia at a realistic price.

A nicely patched Gretzky /3 sold for 60CAN https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2017-18-LEAF-HOCKEY-WAYNE-GRETZKY-3-COLOR-GAME-WORN-PATCH-D-1-3-OILERS/352523882945?hash=item52140f91c1:g:vHMAAOSwYi5b922 V
    A Gretzky/Lindros /2 with a pair of multicolor patches for 65CAD (I looked at it on watchcount) https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2018-Leaf-Hockey-Wayne-Gretzky-Eric-Lindros-gold-leaf-all-stars-dual-patch-1-2-/283271466170?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l44720&nordt= true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true
    Nice gretzky /4 with 3 multicolor and one white swatch for 90CAD https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2015-16-Leaf-Ultimate-Equipment-WAYNE-GRETZKY-Stick-Jersey-Pants-Patch-Card-4-4/283280212786?hash=item41f4d10332:g:qPYAAOSwg2lb~cl X

Last edited by odjickfan; 02-17-2019 at 03:08 PM.
    Wantlist: Hidden Content
    Tradelist: Hidden Content
    Base cards available: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

There have actually been 3 completed sales of the same card since early December:

SOLD - Dec 9 - BIN - $70USD

SOLD - Jan 25 - BO - $102USD

SOLD - Feb 10 - Auction - $75USD

Is $75 a steal? I dont think so. Seems about right.

*** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I looked on ebay and saw what you paid for, it's probably a realistic price considering it's a Leaf card. Leaf is really over doing low-numbered parallels and it's killing the value of their low-numbered cards. It's a great way to land amazing pieces of memorabilia at a realistic price.

A nicely patched Gretzky /3 sold for 60CAN https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2017-18-LEAF-HOCKEY-WAYNE-GRETZKY-3-COLOR-GAME-WORN-PATCH-D-1-3-OILERS/352523882945?hash=item52140f91c1:g:vHMAAOSwYi5b922 V
    A Gretzky/Lindros /2 with a pair of multicolor patches for 65CAD (I looked at it on watchcount) https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2018-Leaf-Hockey-Wayne-Gretzky-Eric-Lindros-gold-leaf-all-stars-dual-patch-1-2-/283271466170?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l44720&nordt= true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true
    Nice gretzky /4 with 3 multicolor and one white swatch for 90CAD https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2015-16-Leaf-Ultimate-Equipment-WAYNE-GRETZKY-Stick-Jersey-Pants-Patch-Card-4-4/283280212786?hash=item41f4d10332:g:qPYAAOSwg2lb~cl X

Yea and I was just thinking about this the other day, unfortunately tracking these low serial #ed cards down is pretty easy if they're sold via online auctions, so I think I'm going to sit on this one for a while, because I do believe it will be worth way more than what I paid for it when that auction page has been purged, and once that happens I think I can double or triple what I paid for it.

I mean you gotta admit - it's very cool looking card with incredible attributes featuring the greatest players of their generations (in Gretzky's case arguably ever)... If you factor in the McDavid three color patch and the fact only 2 exist I would figure this is a card any Gretzky or McDavid fan/collector would love, and any serious Gretzky or McDavid "master collector" would have to have... And I'm sure the other one (1/2) either hasn't been pulled or if it was it's probably in some collectors PC, and they themselves are probably wondering who has the 2/2..

I'll tell you what tho, I would love to have both Gretzky and McDavid autograph this card, but being from Chicago the chances of me having the opportunity to get either autograph in person is slim to none. McDavid maybe if the Oilers came to town and did a little investigating and basically stalked him until I had the right opportunity to get the auto, lol.. But that's just way too beyond creepy and obviously a joke, but even if I was a "weirdo". lol - I wouldn't even have the time.... And honestly, I'm not the biggest fan of middle aged men asking "kids" er young adults who happen to be professional athletes whom are barely old enough to have a beer legally for their autographs in public... I mean, sure children I can understand but not adults, and I'm sure professional athletes aren't thrilled when grown adults ask for their auto in public, well unless it's some hot chick they probably wouldn't mind, lol

I think autographs and how they're obtained deserves it's own thread really, because it really is an interesting part of the hobby...

SCF Rewards
    Country

There have actually been 3 completed sales of the same card since early December:

SOLD - Dec 9 - BIN - $70USD

SOLD - Jan 25 - BO - $102USD

SOLD - Feb 10 - Auction - $75USD

Is $75 a steal? I dont think so. Seems about right.

Well, I'm the 3rd owner of the card in less than three months.... It's been sold twice before I bought it.

December 9th for $70.00

January 25th for $140.00 (I don't know where you got $102.00 the offer says $140.00)

Then I bought it on the 10th for $75.00.

And there is no way I'm selling it for any less than $300.00. I mean those that sold it for $70.00 to $140.00 are with all do respect .... FOOLS!

I'll just wait until ebay purges those auction pages then list it for $499.99 or Best Offer..

I'll tell you this much, when I won the auction there was actually a reserve price and the auction had 30+ watchers and 7 bids..

I've been doing ebay for a very long time and IMO reserve prices are a terrible idea, I mean they serve a purpose if you're auctioning off an item of significant value, however a reserve discourages potential bidders because a reserve indicates er implies that "this seller must want an awful lot for this item" so right off the bat potential bidders confidence become diminished because they assume they have no chance whatsoever to win the item they're bidding on, they assume that it's so far out of their price range that bidding on the item isn't worth their time or effort.

Of course that's why when I sell on ebay I never use reserves, I always start the auction price off with what I want for the card or slightly below the average price of what the same card sold for in previous auctions.... Which can be difficult considering one day a card could sell for $7.99 in one auction, $19.99 in another and $2.49 in another..... IMO, the best minimum bid to start a card listing on ebay is 2/3rd's of Beckett's "low" price.. Say a card "books" for $8.00, low book is $3.00 then start the card off at $1.99......

At the end of the day tho a card is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

But when it comes to 1/1 cards or x/2 cards, the owner can charge whatever they want for that card and if a buyer really really wants that card they will have to pay what the seller wants because there are no other options, and most of the time if the person has the money - they will pay what is asked or at the very least make an offer... Of course that's why I start rare cards off really high, I mean I know no one is going to bid on that card, but I do know those that want it will make an offer and that offer is usually higher than what I would have got out of it if I started it off at .99 cents or whatever....As a matter of fact 50% of the cards I sell on ebay are won via offer..

So yea, now that I'm the 3rd owner of this card in 3 months, and there are only 2 of them (mine being the only one sold) -- there is no way I'm selling this card for anything short of $250.00, because I now own the only sample ironically ever used to gauge a price on this card..... We will see what happens when the other one pops up on ebay IF it ever does, because only then would 1/2 set the bar for 2/2, and I have a feeling whomever owns 1/2 probably shares my opinion that this card is worth much more than $75.00... I mean, it is true that there are different but similar versions of this card - but none of them have patches, the lowest serial # outside of the /2 is an x/6 and x/20...

Last edited by Savard18; 02-17-2019 at 07:17 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Well, I'm the 3rd owner of the card in less than three months.... It's been sold twice before I bought it.

December 9th for $70.00

January 25th for $140.00 (I don't know where you got $102.00 the offer says $140.00)

Then I bought it on the 10th for $75.00.

And there is no way I'm selling it for any less than $300.00. I mean those that sold it for $70.00 to $140.00 are with all do respect .... FOOLS!

You can find completed listings that ended with BO using watchcount.com, among various other sites. Just because a card cannot be found on ebay completed listings, doesnt mean the listings are gone forever. There are agian, multiple sites you can use to find sold auctions for years back

"And there is no way I'm selling it for any less than $300.00"
    - I believe you just bought yourself a PC card at a very fair price. No one likes Leaf, sad reality of the hobby.

Unless youre looking for something truly one of a kind, usually has to be vintage as well ..... there is not much room for up arrows with Leaf. Sure its McDavid and Gretzky, but not having NHL Logos on the card, let alone pictures of the players on the card ..... it is not going to come close to what you are hoping to get for it

SCF Rewards
    Country

You can find completed listings that ended with BO using watchcount.com, among various other sites. Just because a card cannot be found on ebay completed listings, doesnt mean the listings are gone forever. There are agian, multiple sites you can use to find sold auctions for years back

"And there is no way I'm selling it for any less than $300.00"
    - I believe you just bought yourself a PC card at a very fair price. No one likes Leaf, sad reality of the hobby.

Unless youre looking for something truly one of a kind, usually has to be vintage as well ..... there is not much room for up arrows with Leaf. Sure its McDavid and Gretzky, but not having NHL Logos on the card, let alone pictures of the players on the card ..... it is not going to come close to what you are hoping to get for it

Well, agree with you I would probably have a hard time getting $300.00 but I'm extremely confident I will double it up and get $150.00, even if it is Leaf, it's still an Oilers Gretzky game used jersey & a McDavid game used three color patch, on one card limited to 2.. I mean it's a pretty sweet card to say the least.

I also got this bad boy on ebay in a 6 card lot that came with a bunch of UD GU for $20.00.

This is a pretty rare card. Draft Day Marks don't get any lower than /10 so if someone is a Duchene fan or working on the nameplate there are only 9 "C's" others out there... Yes I know there are other letters that go as high as /72 I believe but they're really nothing more than letters with autographs on them unless you have the essential card of the nameplate which is always the /10 card.... This card is the only one with no price in Beckett (at least my November copy) I'm unsure if that was just a printing error and if not I don't know what it means..... However I do know x/10's go for big money, regardless of who the player is. I know Matthews /10 has sold for $599.99 .... There was another Duchene Draft Day Marks that sold recently for $29.99 (I believe) but it was an "E" and it was xx/25.... But if your goal is to complete the nameplate you're going to need the below card or 1 of the other 9, but who knows how many are in circulation, I mean there could be a couple still in packs.

When I won this lot I originally considered perhaps trying to collect the nameplate myself considering I have the "Boardwalk" piece of the name plate and finding the other 6 pieces cant be that difficult with a little bit of patience...... But I'm not an Av's fan, nor a Duchene fan really.. I mean he's a great player - certainly a star player and he's having a fantastic season - so I respect him on that level, but I think I will stick with collecting Alex DeBrincat, Jeremy Roenick, Denis Savard, Ed Belfour, Bobby Hull etc and other Chicago Blackhawks.

I mean I would absolutely trade or sell this card without hesitation in the right deal, Not sure how many Duchene collectors are out there (probably 5 given my luck,lol) seriously working on name plate?

I think I will do a little research to see if any collector has finished the Duchene name plate yet... i've seen complete name plates of other "plugs" er "pylons" some of which aren't in the NHL any longer sold on ebay and they go for some pretty insane money (of course depending on how long the name is)... I mean outside of Blackhawk player nameplates I would be willing to collect I think Vasilevskiy would be a fun one. He's an awesome goalie with a cool name, so there is noting but value there.

I wish UD Game Used did "Classic Draft Day Marks" where the goal was to collect the nameplates of some all-time greats like Esposito, Dryden, Perreault - or some lesser known players with outstanding names like Bannerman or Skoradenski, then make the key pieces /5 instead of /10

2014-15 SP Game Used #DDM-MD Matt Duchene - Draft Day Marks 6/10

SCF Rewards
    Country

That is a gorgeous 3 piece GU of Mcdavid. What a beauty! #CollectConnor

**HOW** do you value a card serial #'ed 2/2 or basically limited to 2?

I recently bought a 2018-19 Leaf ITG Game Used Wayne Gretzky & Connor McDavid "Reflections" Duel GU Jersey (Gretzky) & Thee Color Patch (McDavid) serial #ed 2/2.

I have seen similar cards to the one described above (same year/set), but they're GU jerseys and not patches - the card(s) were also serial numbered xx/25

Is there a way to place a value on it? I mean I know what I paid for it and it was a steal, I know it's worth way more than what I paid for it, but I wonder if there is a trick or "formula" of sorts to gauge the value of cards that are serial #'ed so low that price guides don't even bother including them in their issues.... I don't go by Beckett anyway, and I do subscribe to the notion that a card is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm just wondering if someone with a little more experience with super rare cards like these has a trick or method to determine value on cards like this.

Thanks for your help.

- Nick

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    COMC.COM Cards For Sale: Hidden Content

I COLLECT HIGH END TRUE AUTO RCS OF LEBRON JAMES, TOM BRADY, CONNOR MCDAVID & SIDNEY CROSBY.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Well, agree with you I would probably have a hard time getting $300.00 but I'm extremely confident I will double it up and get $150.00, even if it is Leaf, it's still an Oilers Gretzky game used jersey & a McDavid game used three color patch, on one card limited to 2.. I mean it's a pretty sweet card to say the least.

I also got this bad boy on ebay in a 6 card lot that came with a bunch of UD GU for $20.00.

This is a pretty rare card. Draft Day Marks don't get any lower than /10 so if someone is a Duchene fan or working on the nameplate there are only 9 "C's" others out there... Yes I know there are other letters that go as high as /72 I believe but they're really nothing more than letters with autographs on them unless you have the essential card of the nameplate which is always the /10 card.... This card is the only one with no price in Beckett (at least my November copy) I'm unsure if that was just a printing error and if not I don't know what it means..... However I do know x/10's go for big money, regardless of who the player is. I know Matthews /10 has sold for $599.99 .... There was another Duchene Draft Day Marks that sold recently for $29.99 (I believe) but it was an "E" and it was xx/25.... But if your goal is to complete the nameplate you're going to need the below card or 1 of the other 9, but who knows how many are in circulation, I mean there could be a couple still in packs.

When I won this lot I originally considered perhaps trying to collect the nameplate myself considering I have the "Boardwalk" piece of the name plate and finding the other 6 pieces cant be that difficult with a little bit of patience...... But I'm not an Av's fan, nor a Duchene fan really.. I mean he's a great player - certainly a star player and he's having a fantastic season - so I respect him on that level, but I think I will stick with collecting Alex DeBrincat, Jeremy Roenick, Denis Savard, Ed Belfour, Bobby Hull etc and other Chicago Blackhawks.

I mean I would absolutely trade or sell this card without hesitation in the right deal, Not sure how many Duchene collectors are out there (probably 5 given my luck,lol) seriously working on name plate?

I think I will do a little research to see if any collector has finished the Duchene name plate yet... i've seen complete name plates of other "plugs" er "pylons" some of which aren't in the NHL any longer sold on ebay and they go for some pretty insane money (of course depending on how long the name is)... I mean outside of Blackhawk player nameplates I would be willing to collect I think Vasilevskiy would be a fun one. He's an awesome goalie with a cool name, so there is noting but value there.

I wish UD Game Used did "Classic Draft Day Marks" where the goal was to collect the nameplates of some all-time greats like Esposito, Dryden, Perreault - or some lesser known players with outstanding names like Bannerman or Skoradenski, then make the key pieces /5 instead of /10

2014-15 SP Game Used #DDM-MD Matt Duchene - Draft Day Marks 6/10

"H" xx/10 sold for $32CAD.

Duchene had a decent following with the Avs, the trade killed his value. Nice card to get in a $20 lot, but not something thats gonna break the bank.

Can prob get more for it with a bit of patience, and the right buyer. Prob a card id put up for about $50 - $60 and see what kind of offers roll my way

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think the Duchene was more of a steal than the dual, likely because it was overlooked being in a lot.

I have a nice collection of about 35-40 low-numbered ITGU pieces, and they almost always come at surprisingly good prices. You have a card with two great players, but it's tough to get huge interest when you have not only no Oilers logo but also no faces. Collectors seem more accepting of it with guys like Morenz or Sawchuk than they do current players.

I do think, though, that with some patience you could double your investment.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast