Welcome to Sports Card Forum

The Ultimate for Everything Sports and Non-Sports Cards

•  » Are you interested in Sports and Non-Sports Cards
  •  » Looking for a tool to track your collections?
  •  » Need addresses to request for Autographs?
  •  » Want to know about Shows coming to your area?

...then you have come to the right place!

Sports Card Forum can do all of this and much more!!!

Register an account for FREE right now!

Or If you are already a Member, Please log in at the Top/Right of this page!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

A Little Habs Talk: Where They Are and Can They Make the Playoffs?

Habs are at 69 points through 59 games. Currently tied with Pittsburgh (who have one more ROW) so they get WC1, and one point up on Carolina.

23 games remain.

Last year it took 97 points to make the post season, and assuming that holds it means we need 28 points in those remaining games.

In the most simple math, that means 14 wins though if we get 12 and 2OTL we also reach 97.

The points per game is somewhat optimistic. They are so far adding points at a 1.17 rate. To reach 97 would be 1.22—their current pace maintained for the rest of the season would be 96. So that is reason to believe, if they can just sneak out a couple extra points along the way especially.

Of the 23 games left, 10 are at home and 13 are on the road. We will need the Bell Centre to be some pretty friendly confines as well as for the California swing to not be the usual death trap that it has occasionally in the past.

As of today, 12 games are against non-playoff teams.

When you look at games with the most significant implications (ie. four point games) with teams we could still potentially catch (one can dream about the Leafs) or are right there with us, there’s six that jump out: 2 vs Leafs, 2 vs Columbus, Pittsburgh and Carolina. To even have a hope of a top three divisional we would need to win in regulation the two Toronto games. Given the proximity of the other WC chasers and the Metro Division standings, those other four games are also huge.

There are no “gimmes” really on this schedule. You could argue that the two with Detroit *should* be W’s. Habs *should* also be able to knock off LA and Anaheim, but as the Ducks showed last night there are no sure things.

This is where I get a little worried—the last four opponents on the schedule are WPG, TB, WSH, and Leafs (WPG and WSH on road). If we find ourselves still needing points going into the final week of the season the boys are gonna need to play their asses off to earn them against those squads. Best course of action is to get hot...now.

So that’s the lay of the land from now until the end of the season. There’s seven weeks. It’s going to be a horse race and it could very well come down to the final game of the season.

What do you all think, fellow Habs fans and interested readers?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Carey Price fan and collector!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 246 Unique Cards + 14 1/1's!!!

2019-20 Habs Collections: Carey Price, Shea Weber, Max Domi, Ryan Poehling, and Brendan Gallagher

SCF Rewards
    Country

Jay Bouwmeester

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    See 529mi's Items on eBay

a month ago i thought the Habs were pretty much in. Not so much
    anymore, 4-6 last ten games. Don't follow them closely, can't say if what they
    need is out there on the market.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Instagram:

I think you're right, it's gonna come right down to the end and be much tighter near the end of the season than it is now (kinda how it looks like now in the west.) Their lack of scoring (yet again this season) is going to catch up with them. It would be cool if they came out of nowhere and snagged one of Ottawa's forwards for much needed scoring help.. I'd be ok with either one of them sticking around as more than a rental.

Last edited by jeremy17; 02-20-2019 at 03:06 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

If Paul Byron stays healthy for the rest of the season they have a good chance. The game has become all about speed and he may be the second fastest skater in the NHL behind you know who. Check out their record this season with and without him.

Traders:Hidden Content

Wantlist:Hidden Content

The want list at this link features what I need of Giroux, Couturier, Ottawa Senators, and Miscellaneous set. If you have nothing from it I will consider CFL cards, current Senators, Carey Price, Guy Lafleur, Patrick Roy (Habs), vintage hockey (pre 1970) and trade bait.

Thanks and Happy Trading.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I think you're right, it's gonna come right down to the end and be much tighter near the end of the season than it is now (kinda how it looks like now in the west.) Their lack of scoring (yet again this season) is going to catch up with them. It would be cool if they came out of nowhere and snagged one of Ottawa's forwards for much needed scoring help.. I'd be ok with either one of them sticking around as more than a rental.

"Lack of scoring"?!? They've jumped from 28th last year to 17th this year. The problem isn't scoring generally. 5-on-5 they're one of the best teams in the NHL, sitting 7th overall in goals scored at even play.. It's their power play, something's gotta be done about the power play.

SCF Rewards
    Country

15th to 20th is where the Habs should be in terms of goal scored when you look at their lineup in relation to other teams lineup, 17th is an expected result. They are a team that should fight for a wildcard spot and that's what they are this season.

The goal long term is to keep progressing and build a contender, as a big Habs fan playoff or not this season doesn't really matter, I would be happy to see playoff hockey but it's not really that important, most important thing is the big picture, building a contender.

SCF Rewards
    Country

This is where I get a little worried—the last four opponents on the schedule are WPG, TB, WSH, and Leafs (WPG and WSH on road). If we find ourselves still needing points going into the final week of the season the boys are gonna need to play their asses off to earn them against those squads. Best course of action is to get hot...now.

That detail could in fact prove to be a bonus. If those teams have their postions locked by then and nothing more to play for they might rest some of the star players heading into the playoffs.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

That detail could in fact prove to be a bonus. If those teams have their postions locked by then and nothing more to play for they might rest some of the star players heading into the playoffs.

That's something I noticed as well. Tampa and the Jets will probably have locked up first in their respective divisions by then, so unless there's star players with personal achievements to achieve, they may not field the full roster. But both Washington and the Leafs have their own little battles ongoing. Leafs may be vying for home ice against Boston, while the Caps could end up being dragged into a battle for a division or wild card spot. The Metro Division is that tight!

The boys did very well last night to gut-check that victory after a rather lackadaisical second period. I identified that one as among the most important games and they got the two points.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Instagram:

Ok, then goal scoring on the power play lol.. Going from near worst in the league to a little below average does not mean the problem is no longer there. I know its much easier said then done to pluck a bonafide 30+ goal scorer but when Brendan Gallagher is your teams leading goal scorer that says something and I'm one of his biggest fans.

And if you look at their recent goal scoring lows I expect their position in total goals scored to slide a bit in relation to the rest of league. There have been many positives to take out of their forward core this season however and I agree with jackpot's points in setting realistic expectations, as I think as a fan that's a smarter way to be. Domi, Drouin and Kotkaniemi have had nice seasons relative to where they're at in their careers. I'm just tired of watching basically an average team in front of Carey Price. I can definitely say I expected better results from Bergevin this far in to his tenure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast