Welcome to Sports Card Forum

The Ultimate for Everything Sports and Non-Sports Cards

•  » Are you interested in Sports and Non-Sports Cards
  •  » Looking for a tool to track your collections?
  •  » Need addresses to request for Autographs?
  •  » Want to know about Shows coming to your area?

...then you have come to the right place!

Sports Card Forum can do all of this and much more!!!

Register an account for FREE right now!

Or If you are already a Member, Please log in at the Top/Right of this page!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Rangers Toronto Blue Jays
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Trade Deadline Day Discussion: New York Rangers

So my Rangers traded away the three players everyone said they would, Zuccarello, Hayes, and McQuaid and got a nice haul of picks and 1 prospect. Given their horrendous track record of drafting, having never drafted a forward who went on the the HHOF (closest are likely Middleton, Amonte, and Weight), I would have preferred they got a few more prospects, that other more competent teams drafted, and less picks. I am left feeling like they traded known quantities for unknown draft picks that they are going to screw up. Feel like a bit of a waste. Thoughts?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    COLLECTING NY RANGERS
    Most Wanted: 2012-13 Fleer Retro Auto 40 Messier, 2006-07 Parkhurst Auto 196 Esposito
    Downsizing my Rangers PC: Hundreds of cards available, check out my
    Hidden Content and my COMC account

2. Find Hockey Cards on Kronozio!!
    Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I agree with you, to a degree. I don't know enough about the Rangers' draft history.... I would suggest looking at how they drafted from 2014-2017 to gauge how well you can expect them to use those picks (I have no clue if they've done well during that period or not).

That's the problem with picks. If the Rangers use the 2nd round pick they got for Zuccarello (for example) to draft a player that pans out to be two thirds as good as Zuccarello has been.... they did really well with that pick.

Picks & Prospects - I really believe they're nothing more than magic beans. You need them, you have to use them, and you need to treat the draft process seriously - but how many 1st round picks actually become NHL "stars" ? Not many.

Taking on a 20 year old prospect, instead of a future draft pick, does give you the benefit of know about two extra years of development.... but you're either paying a huge premium for a guy that's developed well, or you're taking on a guy whose ceiling isn't perceived to be as high as it once was.

How long do the Rangers expect to be rebuilding? That's the question. If they anticipate being a playoff team again in 2021, and a contender in 2023 (I'm making up years here) then trading away players that will be of no help to them in '21, '22, or '23, for assets that MIGHT be able to help them then - that's what they need to do.

Using Zuccarello for the sake of argument again.... he's 31 years old. Someone is going to give him a contract that's 5 or 6 years long this offseason. He'll likely put up good value for the first half, and be a drain on the cap for the second half. That's what happens with players in their mid-30s.

Let's say Zuccarello gets 6 years, and 6.5 million per season this summer (a raise, but not a crazy one). If you're a team trying to win now - that's an okay deal. It's reasonable to expect he'll continue to perform at his current level for another three years (or so) but then you're just hoping he won't drop off too much at ages 34-37.

If you're the Rangers - You're paying him fair value for three years while the team is rebuilding, and then you're overpaying him as a declining / aging player - when you hope to contend, and by then his performance won't match the cap hit, so it will be harder to put that contender together.

More picks you have, more chances you have to hit.... accumulating picks in the first three rounds is a good thing. There's a decent shot those guys will at least contribute to your NHL team one day.

SCF Rewards
    Country

30ranfordfan for oilers GM!

but this pretty much sums it up. Also he most likely wouldnt have gotten injured had he stayed with the Rangers but for Zucc to get hurt in his 1st game with the Stars and to maybe play hockey by Mid March at the earliest. I'd say the Rangers won the trade regardless of what happens with the picks because chances are Zucc will not be resigning with the stars
    I agree with you, to a degree. I don't know enough about the Rangers' draft history.... I would suggest looking at how they drafted from 2014-2017 to gauge how well you can expect them to use those picks (I have no clue if they've done well during that period or not).

That's the problem with picks. If the Rangers use the 2nd round pick they got for Zuccarello (for example) to draft a player that pans out to be two thirds as good as Zuccarello has been.... they did really well with that pick.

Picks & Prospects - I really believe they're nothing more than magic beans. You need them, you have to use them, and you need to treat the draft process seriously - but how many 1st round picks actually become NHL "stars" ? Not many.

Taking on a 20 year old prospect, instead of a future draft pick, does give you the benefit of know about two extra years of development.... but you're either paying a huge premium for a guy that's developed well, or you're taking on a guy whose ceiling isn't perceived to be as high as it once was.

How long do the Rangers expect to be rebuilding? That's the question. If they anticipate being a playoff team again in 2021, and a contender in 2023 (I'm making up years here) then trading away players that will be of no help to them in '21, '22, or '23, for assets that MIGHT be able to help them then - that's what they need to do.

Using Zuccarello for the sake of argument again.... he's 31 years old. Someone is going to give him a contract that's 5 or 6 years long this offseason. He'll likely put up good value for the first half, and be a drain on the cap for the second half. That's what happens with players in their mid-30s.

Let's say Zuccarello gets 6 years, and 6.5 million per season this summer (a raise, but not a crazy one). If you're a team trying to win now - that's an okay deal. It's reasonable to expect he'll continue to perform at his current level for another three years (or so) but then you're just hoping he won't drop off too much at ages 34-37.

If you're the Rangers - You're paying him fair value for three years while the team is rebuilding, and then you're overpaying him as a declining / aging player - when you hope to contend, and by then his performance won't match the cap hit, so it will be harder to put that contender together.

More picks you have, more chances you have to hit.... accumulating picks in the first three rounds is a good thing. There's a decent shot those guys will at least contribute to your NHL team one day.

Buying or Trading for:
    Brock Boeser cards, Leon Draisaitl cards, Josh Morrissey cards, Madison Bowey cards, Nick Merkley cards, Vancouver Canucks Cards
    Hidden Content Found Here

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

30ranfordfan for oilers GM!

but this pretty much sums it up. Also he most likely wouldnt have gotten injured had he stayed with the Rangers but for Zucc to get hurt in his 1st game with the Stars and to maybe play hockey by Mid March at the earliest. I'd say the Rangers won the trade regardless of what happens with the picks because chances are Zucc will not be resigning with the stars

I'd fail like everyone else. If my job is just to do what the ol' boys club wants me to do.... I couldn't possibly succeed.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Wow, the Rangers - an Original 6 franchise - never drafted a forward that made it to the HOF?

I din't know that, that's a pretty interesting tid-bit..

I don't think Amonte or Weight really have a shot... They're at the point where they're nothing more than an "after thought"... And I'm a Hawks fan, so I'm very familiar with both players..

I find it hard to believe the Rangers never drafted a HOF forward.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Rangers Toronto Blue Jays
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Wow, the Rangers - an Original 6 franchise - never drafted a forward that made it to the HOF?

I din't know that, that's a pretty interesting tid-bit..

I don't think Amonte or Weight really have a shot... They're at the point where they're nothing more than an "after thought"... And I'm a Hawks fan, so I'm very familiar with both players..

I find it hard to believe the Rangers never drafted a HOF forward.

Here is a list of the Rangers draft picks all time: https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/NYR/draft.html . When you sort by points, Doug Weight is first. They did draft HHOF defencemen Leetch and Park, but no forwards that are even close to getting in. Interestingly, the Islanders, who haven't been around as long draft 4 HHOF forwards, Bossy, Trottier, Lafontaine, and Gilles. Go figure.